Monica springs a leak!

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Monica springs a leak!

Post by mountainmanUK »

Only 2 days after passing her MOT with reasonably flying colours, my 1993 TXD 17TD decided to start pissing her LHM out, all over the hospital carpark!

I had a quick look, in the dark at 10-30 last night, with the aid of a small torch, and there is quite a large puddle of the green stuff which looks to directly under the centreline of the car. However, a quick look in the Pssenger side wheelarch shows what I think could be a split in a plastic (rubber?) pipe right at the rear of the arch, attached to a metal "stub".
Is this what Haynes calls the "Security valve"?

It looks (to me anyway) as if LHM is leaking from there, and then running along the subframe/crossmember, then dripping off onto the road more in the centre. The leak is quite bad (I needed to top up the reservoir with about half a litre before the "Stop" light went out, but she does her Citreobics OK and the ride & braking is fine.

Would I be correct in assuming that this is just a low pressure return from the security valve, and should fix up OK by cutting off the split end and relocating the pipe (with a small pipeclamp) on the stub? It does appear to be losing a rather large amount of LHM for the small bore of the pipe (only about 4-5mm) for a "return".

It's strange, as she had a full new Octopus fitted only last summer, although I can't really remember if this particular pipe was a part! :?

Cheers guys

Dave
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've had this one go, on the Red Shed. It only leaks when you are pressing the brake.

There was enough slack in mine that I was able to cut the end off and re-fit it, using a small jubilee clip for some extra security. I wasn't planning on holding on to that car, so that was enough of a fix for me at the time! ren16tx will be able to tell us how long it held. Chris? Are you there?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Ahhhhhhh, yes! I remember now, reading that story a long time back!

Thanks, Stu! :D

It's a little wet here today, so I havn't had the inclination to delve into Monica's nether regions much, but the pipe in question was VERY (and I man VERY, VERY) loose, and split at the end.
There doesn't seem to be much slack for cutting & refitting, but I will have a better look on Sunday. Maybe if I trace the pipe along a bit, I could find enough space to splice a piece of thin brake piping or similar into the line, to buy me an extra inch or two?
Time will tell!

I may even get photos!! :idea:

Cheers
Dave