What is it about the BX?

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

What is it about the BX?

Post by Philip Chidlow »

When I visit other club sites - Fiat, Toyota, whatever, many of the forum members don't seem to be able to resist modifying, kitting, repainting and enhancing the performance of their cars (for better or worse - usually the latter but not always. Some cars are spectacular).

Whereas I think it's fair to say we, as BX owners, just don't. Does that mean we have better taste? Probably. Is the purity of the BX sufficient for us?

IF one was going to mod a BX in either the appearance or performance (or both) areas, what options, realistically, are open to us? I tend to think it could all work against the BX both visually and dynamically, but I've seen valvers modified with throttle bodies and the like, different wheels etc.

But no-one seems to change the colour of thier BX. No-one retrims in leather (although didn't a certain member on here have leather with piping detail?). Is anyone aware of a BX getting a major ICE install?

I'm not saying it is necessary. And is a bit chavvy IMHO, but taking a GTi/TZD turbo or a valver and 'working on it' would seem an interesting proposition from another point of view.

So why doesn't anyone (IN THE UK - I'm aware of the continental European disasters we've seen on here before !) do it?

An interesting point to discuss, but if anyone is tempted, where would you start? I think Matt H's 14 á la 16v is a tasteful and well-considered approach.

Me? In all honesty I'd like to take a Mk. 1 Sport and do it up in white like the BX4TC, double up on the carbs etc. :lol: :lol: ...(as if) :roll:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Like my dad says about me ,

you cant improve on perfection :oops:

Citroen seem to have covered most of the angles

the 16 valve body kit is perfect for the car and something I would like on mine ( how many dates with Doc would that cost :lol: ),

leather is nice if a bit over indulgent, only other interior modifications could be steering wheel, gear knob , tax disc holder and stereo

the engines are good at what they do
so what does that leave

technically speaking ( blonde remember so going on what the brothers have done to there cars )

perhaps a K+N type induction kit or even one of there replacement filters for the standard one ( you dont have to change them so often)

an exhaust that breathes better ( I think scorpion make bits )

possible brake upgrade ( would lower spec models gain anything by having 16v brakes ) or are better aftermarket pads and discs available ?

so that just leaves alloy wheels really,
again I like the 16 valve ones but also like multispoke designs
well thats my twopeennerth worth
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Could be now that the BX has got to the age that getting parts to modify it is becoming more difficult because of its age?

Thinking of the BXs I have owned over the years the mods I can think of have been cosmetic bar a Carb Modification.

BX14RE 84 A reg my first BX which ended up with a tilt sunroof and Rear Carry handle Spoiler.

BX19GT now this was the car I did some serious modifications on! Kept the original ski ramp spoiler on the rear but replaced the bumpers with Mark II sprayed gloss Black bumpers and a Front GTI Spoiler aka snow plough spoiler! Well thats when I found it was good effect ploughing into snow drifts :lol: Internally replaced the seats with GTi seats and replaced the carb with more efficant Weber Carb and fitted 16V vented brake Discs and steeriing wheel.
Heck that car had power, braking and fuel economy something my mates in there souped up Cars couldnt get thier petrol head brains around. Probably why one those jealous wankers Torched it.

Other than an interior swap or wind defletor on the sunroof, spoiler added theres not much other than set alloys you can do to a BX. Improve on perfection seems to fit the bill.

One I know of thats still being done is swaping the headlights with duel lights. Again cosmetic!

Heck that all said I drive a New Zealand version BX and if something is differant from the UK spec you can guarentee its on these cars. Most popular seems to be fitting Larger Tyres :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

the main point of what you have said is that you upgrade using parts off of other BX's (apart from the card )
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

For me the Sport represents the most desirable BX body kit. Here's a nice example. Got some modifications in the engine bay too...

And if it floats your boat you can always give your BX a colour make-over :lol:

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

If anything, I think most members who have done any modding to their BXs, have actually "de-modded" them! That is, they have removed various extra bits of trim, stickers, extra lights etc., that previous owners have added over the years. All done with the intention of returning the car to as close to it's original look as possible.

I think the most popular "re-styling" done has to be a full interior swap, which can vastly improve an otherwise tatty-looking interior. Also fitting tinted rear light units off a different model can alter the rear-end look.

Obviously, fitting a decent set of alloys will make any car look different, but I seriously think that a shiny white valver with anthracite or graphite Speedlines looks the "dog's danglys" already!

Apart from fitting graphite Speeddlines to Monica, she is still pretty much as she emerged from the factory, although somewhat abused by the local "pondlife" and their innumerable offspring on our estate. She is still very much my daily driver, and has been for over 2 years, and I have every intention of keeping her so!

As you so rightly said, Sue........you can't improve on perfection :wink:

Edit: That Sport looks LUVVLY, Phil!! :D Not too sure about the yellow one though. Only Todd's suits yellow! :lol:
I have often wondered what a BX would look like in that nice shade of ORANGE that Citroen used on some GS's?
Photoshoppers......get to it!! :wink:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, having owned a GSX in orange/yellow (the same as that Sport) I can say it's a little 'in yer face'. The darker orange (as per mnde's GS break) might be nice.

Or not...

:D
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

That's the one I was imagining Phil! :D
Yes.....looks as "mean" as I thought it might!

(mental musings: I guess a pale grey undercoat would be OK for that. Now who do I know that does cheap but top-notch resprays?)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I actually dont like the sport

the bumpers never seem to fit properly and that wierd rear wheel arch dosent win any beauty contests either ,
I like the work done under the bonnet though
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I think the BX shape is so distinctive and clean then changing that can spoil it, I personally have never liked the baby walker spoiler as it spoils the lines, and think the Mk1 is the best looking with the 3/4 winow (in red with the alloys :wink: ).

A set of nice wheels on a Mk2 (speedlines) do look good but otherwise it doesnt need much else. Huge bodykits and wail tails would in my opinion spoil its looks.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Well, having owned a GSX in orange/yellow (the same as that Sport) I can say it's a little 'in yer face'. The darker orange (as per mnde's GS break) might be nice.

Or not...

:D
Mark's GSa Estate is a fair bit redder than that. I'd call it "tomato" in colour.
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I actually quite like the "baby walker" spoiler. Looks good on most BXs.

The Sport model is nice, with that rear wheel arch it stands out further! Not keen on bright colours like yellow or orange though, silver or grey for me.

Speaking of other club forums, the 306 one I occasionally go on is full of people with no taste and their nasty cars. Horrible!
What is it about the BX?
I'm not sure, but I do think the car has a presence. It has character, and it's different.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Mines pretty much standard visually, aside from yellow fog lamps and clear side repeaters.

Engine wise it's been fettled slightly. I had the bottom end lightened when it was balanced up so it spins up slightly quicker. It's also chipped and has a Green cone filter.

Interior is pretty much the same story....AX GT500 chevrons on the steering wheel, AX GT type gearknob etc. Stereos the biggest thing in it, it's loud enough to make the rear view mirror fall off.

I don't think they get modified over here (or anywhere really) its its not an easy canvas to start with, and they're not exactly the coolest cars around to start with.

I've not really done alot to mine because it's the only car I've ever owned and not got bored of as it is. I don't think I ever will either. I've had other BX's and been fond of them, but the valver is something else for me. Every drive in it is entertaining, probably because of its party-trick accelaration! It's not in the league of new hot hatches (although gave a mk4 Golf R32 a serious cause for concern when he couldn't drop it off down a sliproad!) but its fast and loud enough to entertain when you need it, and smooth and comfy enough to just get you home when you just wanna get home!
Apary from the Alfa V6, its the only car (of the 40 odd I've owned) that achieves that, because I like the original car so much. I think modifying it would ruin that balance. I'd take it round a track as it is as a one off thing, but its not a track type car. It'd get destroyed around corners, no matter how fast it was in a straight line, unless you stiffened it so much it didn't roll, but then you'll lose some of the bonus' with the suspension's compliancy.

So I'd say the modifying brigade don't touch them because old Citroens don't have a good rep, and aren't exactly cool, and current BX enthusiasts probably like the cars as they are.

Other types of car such as Toyotas perhaps aren't as endearing out of the box. Theres always room for improvement with something like a Toyota, because it's easy speed. They're definately good cars, but lack any real character and I think although people modify them to make them faster, some character found by making it sound purposeful or corner fast might be the underlying reason people want to make their car faster. It's all about fun, not speed. Speed is just something to can add to the fun factor, probably the most popular element.
But BXs have fun from the factory IMO, no matter what the engine as the unique noises the doors make when they shut, or the fact they all pretty much smell the same, or the way they ride over crests on country roads. Thats why I don't think we tinker with them.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Orange Tenere.

Pretty close to your "shop job" Phil!! :wink:

Is this the break of which you speak, David? :wink:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Nope... it's much more reddy than that, and about 6 years newer!
this might be a signature