Huge Thanks

Anything about BXs
retrodriver
BXpert

Huge Thanks

Post by retrodriver »

Go to citro-geoff, Geoff and Hayley thanks again for all the work on the car, and the cups of tea!

I took a leisurely drive down to Wales and we set upon on the car, well I say we....Mostly them...

And now the clutch is light and smooth, biting properly and generally making the car feel a whole lot newer, the box is also quieter and smoother. Geoff also very kindly alligned my steering wheel and replaced my heater control bulbs, aswell as repacking the CV joints and generally giving the whole thing a good look over.

Im relieved to have had an experts eye go over the car and inform me its a pretty solid motor! Also I learned a hell of alot, big things like taking a gearbox in and out, to little things like putting split pins in easily.

I also enojoyed taking the TD estate for a spin, corners brilliantly! I will add some pictures I took when ive figured out how to get them off my phone too.
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Good to hear your car's running well now, as for the pictures, if you have a cable to connect your phone to the computer it should be as simple as using a memory stick, a drag and drop job. This does depend on the phone though.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Respect to Citro-Geoff! Sharp work there - how many hours ? Sounds as though he knows what he's doing so obviously less than the two daýs it took me. And time for all those other jobs too! ( If you ever fancy a 'holiday' to S.Germany Geoff?)

Glad your wheels are sorted again retrodriver! True BXClub spirit :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

I think we started on the car at maybe half 11, and worked on it until probably just after 7, that includes going round to get a hoist from Geoffs other garage, we werent going at 100 mph either, which is good because I got to look on and learn! Plus the clutch cable was a PITA at the pedal end which took some sorting, but yeah the spirit is alive and well. Its quite a nice drive there and back to, and as a result of a motorway journey, its running better than ever.
Alex

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Great news guys, Geoff your a good man.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

BX clutch.

Post by citro-geoff »

Glad the car is OK now and you had a good drive home Alex. Hayley and I had the box out in just over the hour.I then did a good check on the bits as they were on the floor.Both driveshaft gaiters had been fitted with 'stretchies' and not packed with grease before being clipped up,so there is some wear in the cv. Hopefully they will last a bit longer with grease in them.The clutch fork fell apart too,and not having a spare,had to do a 'bit of engineering' as they say.It now works a treat,but I have advised Alex to get one anyway.I would advise too,that before anyone buys a clutch kit,look at the lever on the gearbox.If it is a cable adjusted type,then it is a late type thrust race.If the adjustment is the bolt type on the side of the gearbox,it is an early type. I have come across late cars with an early type thrust race.This was the case of Alex's BX16,which was a 1991,with the early thrust race.The clutch he bought had a late type thrust race,and was assured 'it is the correct one for the car sir'.The Citroen parts site gives the RP# at change as >4529early,4530> late.The clutch fork number is 211742,and is still available from PSA and AEP,but the plastic cap is also listed as a seperate item,#212134.The car itself was a steal,and is in very good condition.Well worth spending a bit of money on it.Basically all it needs now is one arm bearing doing,as it has just started to lean.Maybe another drive down on a saturday will see it done.I keep all the bearing kits in stock,as they fit the Xantia rear and the CX front arms,and CX saloon/prestige rear arms too,with a mod of shortening the tube.Todd,I might take you up on the offer of a trip to Germany one day.Back in the 90's I went down to Provence to convert an american spec LHS fluid DS to LHM using parts from 3 other spares cars.It was a semi auto box,and it took my mate and I 6 days to do it from start to finish.This included an engine change and upgrade,all the flow and return pipe work,cylinders etc.Nothing is compatable between the 2 fluids.All the tools went into the back of my friends new BX TZD saloon,and we cruised down in the night through France averaging 100mph for hours on end.Who said the BX was slow!!! I drove back in my new DS21 Pallas that I had in part payment for the job.It is still on the road somewhere in the UK to this day!!If anyone wants help with their cars,get in touch.I have worked on most Cits over the years,and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty,I don't mind imparting the knowledge I have. Geoff
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Thats damned decent of you Geoff, this clubs ace :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

I second that Mulley, superb
Alex

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

This is what this forum is all about, long may it continue.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....