What is this and is it worth €150?

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

What is this and is it worth €150?

Post by toddao »

I should know. I thoughtat first it was a doseur but it ain't. Height corrector? Regulator? Realise I haven't done enough hydraulic jobs yet ( not that I want to)

Mystery bit
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Its a Flow divider Valve aka FDV for power steering.

As for the price :shock: erm yea thats a bit high if you have to do an FDV anytime soon theres a good guide on here on doing a refurb for less than new.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Kiwi. Yes, does seem a bit steep but the new price - so the seller claims - is pushing €600! :shock: I don't think I need one. If a series 1 doseur boxed came up I think I would find the €€€s
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I wonder what the advantage to buying a new one is if we knw you can fairly easily overhaul it?

I did wonder about the 2 springs in my recent FDV project - how would you know if they'd gone weak? maybe it doesn't matter.

I, perhaps would replace this with a new one if I had the wedge for it but of course, I'd have to repaint it in the PROPER green paint for an early days BX 8)
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Do Citroen still stock the refurb kit or bits?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I'd have to repaint it in the PROPER green paint for an early days BX
A bit OT, I know, but does anyone know the correct paint code for the hydraulics green?? :?:
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

DLM wrote:Do Citroen still stock the refurb kit or bits?
Yes, still available 95 669 034, 63.95 Swiss Francs (don't ask).

Job well worth doing, I've never known one to be irremediably shafted - a bit like radius arms.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Many thanks for the info, cauchoiskev. So that's about £36 or 42 Euros?
Job well worth doing, I've never known one to be irremediably shafted - a bit like radius arms.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement - about radius arms.... from the point or view of opportunity and availability.

I know in theory that even the most horribly mangled bearing housing can be bored-out and a suitably-machined insert pressed-in, but it does require access to a reasonably well-equipped engineering workshop, or someone willing to do it for you.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Yep, 36 quid. Was only 20 a few years back.

As for the radius arms, I've never seen one damaged where the bearing sits. It's only at at seal end that the damage occurs (this is only my own experience, if anybody has seen different I would be interested to know...).

I just fill up the gap between the seal and the metal with joint compound, after careful degreasing. I've done this twice on my own cars, never had any problems since. Somebody posted recently about using body filler, nice idea too, maybe a bit more fiddly to get right than Loctite joint paste.