Its all a bit painful really.

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
Aerodynamica wrote:Is that it!? I've had worse damage taking a dump!
..that_ You made my day Graeme with that remark!
Agreed, fooking GOLD.

Easy fix that mate. Really easy fix.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Aerodynamica wrote:Is that it!? I've had worse damage taking a dump!..
I really shouldent have had that curry last night :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:I say fuck em & claim off their insurance. Its not your fault & the car is worth more than the repair costs, or they give you the cash instead, either way its sorted.
:
Sorry Mulley I disagree there mate, if you take that to a bodyshop they will put down for a new wing, bumper, indicator and headlamp plus painting and fitting and before you know the bills at £500, and the general rule of thumb is if the damage is more than 60% of the cars curret value they write it off. I would be very careful how you play this one. If they or the insurance are prepared to pay up a sum thats agreeable and let you keep the car then fine.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Easy fix that mate. Really easy fix.
Listen to the Doc - mine took worse last year and is still on the road. Anything that lets you keep the car and fix it yourself would be a win.

Why is a replacement headlamp required ? The lens looks OK in the pic. Looks like a case of pulling-out behind it, and reshaping for the wing. I'm sure you can source an indicator through bxclub, or just an indicator lens if that's all that's needed.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Roverman wrote:let you keep the car then fine.
As I mentioned above... it's not up to them to "let" you keep the car... they have no legal claim to it. The car reamins "Thickasmud" 's property regardless of what happens.
this might be a signature
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Roverman wrote:let you keep the car then fine.
As I mentioned above... it's not up to them to "let" you keep the car... they have no legal claim to it. The car reamins "Thickasmud" 's property regardless of what happens.
If thats the case with his insurance then great, I had a saimilar case a few years back with a metro, only panel damage for which the other parties insurance paid out £500 and the car was classed as a right off. I then had to negotiate the buy the car back as they wanted to scrap it and claim the salvage as part of the deal.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

BX bits.

Post by citro-geoff »

Hi,I have a wing in the right colour and an indicator for free if you want to come to Newport,S.Wales to pick them up. I can also give you a bill for the 'cost' as they say!!!Geoff
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er

BX

Post by citro-geoff »

On the topic of accident damage,my neighbours son in law backed into mine and broke the bumper on my car while I was sat in it. He didn't want to go through the insurance,so I stung him for £300. Parts cost me £10 for a TZD bumper in the right colour,and I will do the work myself,(done'm before guv,look like new when it's finished!!) The slam panel is pushed back a bit,but the bonnet still shuts OK.If you want,I can give you a hand to change the parts while your here.PM me or ring me on 01633 895263 eves,or 07980 559814 daytime and eves.Geoff
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citro-geoff wrote:Hi,I have a wing in the right colour and an indicator for free if you want to come to Newport,S.Wales to pick them up. I can also give you a bill for the 'cost' as they say!!!Geoff
This club is amazing! 8) Well done Geoff! =D>
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er

Post by citro-geoff »

No probs,Way2 go,it's what the club is about.I have about 3 or 4 wings in that colour,and I will never use them all,and it will keep another car on the road.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Roverman wrote:I had a saimilar case a few years back with a metro, only panel damage for which the other parties insurance paid out £500 and the car was classed as a right off. I then had to negotiate the buy the car back as they wanted to scrap it and claim the salvage as part of the deal.
They were on a wind-up then. If they claim was with your own insurers, then that's reasonable as you have a contract with them. If the claim is made against the "3rd party" aspect on someone else's insurance, then whilst they can bullshit their way into claiming that the car is theirs, that's all it is.. yet more insurance company bullshit.

Worth being aware of, as more than once I've heard of people losing their car in a situation like this. Other person's insurance company decided to write it off, and so they pay out and grab the car. TBH I'm not even sure that another insurer has the option to "write it off", they simply have to pay to return the vehicle to pre-accident condition.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I'm not even sure that another insurer has the option to "write it off", they simply have to pay to return the vehicle to pre-accident condition.
That is interesting - I didn't realise that: can it be confirmed? I'd like to be clear for the NEXT time a twit crashes into the rear*

*Because it's only a matter of time...
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Roverman wrote:I had a saimilar case a few years back with a metro, only panel damage for which the other parties insurance paid out £500 and the car was classed as a right off. I then had to negotiate the buy the car back as they wanted to scrap it and claim the salvage as part of the deal.
They were on a wind-up then. If they claim was with your own insurers, then that's reasonable as you have a contract with them. If the claim is made against the "3rd party" aspect on someone else's insurance, then whilst they can bullshit their way into claiming that the car is theirs, that's all it is.. yet more insurance company bullshit.

Worth being aware of, as more than once I've heard of people losing their car in a situation like this. Other person's insurance company decided to write it off, and so they pay out and grab the car. TBH I'm not even sure that another insurer has the option to "write it off", they simply have to pay to return the vehicle to pre-accident condition.
I think there may be some subtle differences here whether you are insured fully Comp. or Third Party (Only or inc F&T). If you are insured Third Party you have more rights as you are dealing directly with the other insurance and can insist on reinstatement but with Fully Comp you have to go via or at least notify your insurers as they have an interest in the car.
When it is settled via your insurance this disgraceful practice of knock for knock is apparently often used where the respective Insurers pay out on their own vehicles even if "no blame" in your case is agreed. It is said that it keeps their admin costs down. Consequently your insurance dilutes your rights by agreeing a payout with the other insurers of no more than the cars value and as a consequence of the payout require the salvage.

This could also be the reason why quotations today for Full Comp are often significantly cheaper than TPF&T because it allows the insurance company more control over an incident and freedom to decide without recourse to you.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

This could also be the reason why quotations today for Full Comp are often significantly cheaper than TPF&T because it allows the insurance company more control over an incident and freedom to decide without recourse to you
Interesting. Suggests TPF&T is definitely preferable for a BX owner, which has always been my gut reaction given the ease with which a BX could be an considered a write-off in a relatively minor accident on the basis of bodyshop and parts charges.

I heard a suggestion today that insurance assessors for major insurance companies are likely to be selected for lack of prior motor trade knowledge. The implication was that it prevents insider dealing whereby the assessor puts in a personal claim for salvage rights on a car he knows to be fixable cheaply without recourse to insurer-approved repairers.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I believe the main difference is whether you claim through your own insurers, or manage the claim yourself and claim directly from the other person's insurance. If you claim directly from the other person's insurance, you must of course inform your own insurers as to what has happened, as it's a material fact that relates to the insured vehicle, but if you're careful not to make the claim with your own insurer, then you cannot lose the car.

... all of this assumes that the other driver is insured of course, which in many cases they aren't. At which point you're looking at making a direct money claim from the other driver, through www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or something like that.