A quick one from Jon

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ooh, I think I know who that was!

Actually elected mods was discussed quite some time ago, with positive responses from all who replied.
Indeed, I think it would be a splendid idea and believe it was myself that first mentioned it..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

although I have not be here long I’d be happy to put my hand in as a mod
I am currently a mod on 2 non car related sites and know the reasonability involved with being a mod

plus as I am currently on the other side of the world this will help cover mod duties in the night time hours while the rest of you sleep

bx's are my passion and intend on taking an active part in the club once i move to the UK

on my spelling and grammar
I'm dyslexic
And make no apologies for the way I write to spell
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Why am I not surprised that some weasel has gone running to teacher? Some people are fucking sad if you ask me.

Elected mod's sounds a good idea (as long as it's not some pathetic little snitch who gets voted in) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Jon, good to see you back if only briefly and hope all is well mate.
Vauxhall apologist.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

cavmad wrote:Why am I not surprised that some weasel has gone running to teacher? Some people are fucking sad if you ask me.

Elected mod's sounds a good idea (as long as it's not some pathetic little snitch who gets voted in) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

You mean elected mods who you can manipulate :wink:

Cavmad do you actually own and run a BX?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

kiwi wrote:
cavmad wrote:Why am I not surprised that some weasel has gone running to teacher? Some people are fucking sad if you ask me.

So how would I vote enough times to get the person I want to be a mod and what would happen if that person didn't get in? I don't know how you work 'over there' but over here we have something called democracy.

If you think I want to manipulate mods then you're an assumptious buffoon.

No I don't own/drive a BX at the moment, though I've had loads of them.

Do you live in the UK?

Ps: why don't you put yourself up for a moderator's job in an 'in-house' election?
Vauxhall apologist.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

kiwi wrote:

Moderation is not about having sides, it is about excising restraint where necessary. Moderation does not work when it becomes about eliminating dissent and upholding a particular person or groups viewpoint. That is (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) Billy's point, and as far as I'm concerned it's a good one.

What difference does it make if someone has a BX or not? I haven't got a 2cv, but still enjoy going to camps, and no-one blanks me if I'm driving a non-Citroen, why should it be any different here?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou, couldn't have put it better if I tried.
Vauxhall apologist.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

cavmad wrote:I don't know how you work 'over there' but over here we have something called democracy.

Do you live in the UK?
You sure about that? When I left the UK you had a Labour Goverment and still have one that has not changed much. You got the highest proportion of CCTV cameras watching you than anywhere else in the world. Thats why I jumped ship the noose was to tight have got more Freedom over here.

Of course you may be getting confused with Fiji and the crazy General that took over the country and keeps cancelling free elections :wink:
If you think I want to manipulate mods then you're an assumptious buffoon.
Quick to jump and defend yourself after the first remark in this post and no surprise a name calling tactic :roll:
No I don't own/drive a BX at the moment, though I've had loads of them.
Great so plenty of experiance and words of wisdom to pass on, good to hear that and looking forward to reading some of that experiance.
Ps: why don't you put yourself up for a moderator's job in an 'in-house' election?
Excellant idea but then why would I want to be accused by you or someone else of being impartial? Even though I throughly think this forum/club should be focused on keeping the BX on the road.

Well if your passing this way stop in for a friendly cuppa and lets take a BX for a run to a nice Fishing Lake nearby :wink:
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

kiwi wrote: Contradictory stuff which spoke highly of freedom whilst calling for more control, and opined that BXC should be exclusively about BX's and their upkeep.
I'm something of a radio fan, and particularly like listening to radio 4. One of my favourite shows is Gardeners Question Time, however it has to be said that I am no gardener, and that with the exception of one dying houseplant, my house is a foliage-free area, and my garden is constructed out of stone slabs.

The reason why I like Gardeners Question Time isn't so much about the gardening advice (although I do find that fairly interesting) but rather the humour and camaraderie of the panel on the show, and its audience, which makes it a most enjoyable programme. If the show was entirely 'my potatoes are rotting in the ground' followed by 'the soil is too wet' and other similarly sterile questions and answers, I fell that listenership would quickly go downhill, and the show would be cancelled.

I feel there is a parallel here with BXC. It has been able to act as a support network for BXers, whilst also being a fun and entertaining place for people to be. I for one have made some good friends out of it, and indeed if I hadn't happened upon here probably wouldn't of ended up with another BX. Which I love. However, the clubs strength has always been it's sense of fun and camaraderie (like Question Time) and I fear that were it to be reduced to being 'only posts about BX's' it would become more than a little dry. I think a lot of people would spend less time here. Then, perhaps, the show would be canceled.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

great you guys cant even behave yourself in a thread about the need for new mods

kiwi stop going fishing
some fish bite easier than others
:wink:
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Magpi wrote:great you guys cant even behave yourself in a thread about the need for new mods

kiwi stop going fishing
some fish bite easier than others
:wink:
Very true and it proved a very valid point. I would call that a win from the antipodeans :lol:

jonathan_dyane you want to qoute me please quote words used and not words YOU WRITE.

I caught a big one that time ~ale~ beers
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

kiwi wrote:why would I want to be accused by you or someone else of being impartial?
I don't think we would and anyway to whom it would apply to would be a compliment not an accusation!

Jonathon speaks reasoned and balanced words in this thread which perhaps is what you should aspire to achieve rather than the troll stance that you take.

kiwi wrote:
I would call that a win from the antipodeans :lol:

I caught a big one that time ~ale~ beers
What crass remarks! :evil:

You need reminding of the saying "Self Praise is No praise"! redx
1991 BX19GTi Auto
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Proves the point of whoever sent Jon the email

and now

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

kiwi wrote:Proves the point of whoever sent Jon the email
Hardly, but then you've not been around long enough to know the history of this place and the people on it.

Although what we've learned so far is nitrogen in tyres is better than ~80% nitrogen in tyres, the moutains have snow, and NZ is better than the UK in every way shape and form.

I'm also intrigued by the Magpi stating he's dyslexic, and makes no apolagy for the way he writes, which is fair enough, but, and we've been here before boys and girls, there are other dyslexic members here, some of whom do put some effort in, and since no-one has thus far derided Magpi for his spelling I find it odd he feels the need to leap to his own defence.

Equally, and whilst I'm sure you're a very good mod on whatever forums you moderate on, you've been here all of 5 minutes, harldy enough time to get the flavour of the place, and it's community.

The other options are of course:
Let it go on as is. After all, it's run along fairly smoothly without any moderation

or:

Let it die.

We need to bear in mind that the number of BX's is dwindling, albeit slowly, but non the less they are in decline.
So, if we have a strict policy of "only BX talk will be allowed, anything else will be met witha flogging" then there will be nothing left very quickly.

The less cars there are, the more this place will have to be a community of people that hang out here socially.
After all, there will come a point when every question has been asked (actually I think that point has already been reached) so there is nothing more to be said about one make of car.
Given that this place is a one make forum, then, er, what else is there?

Ok, there will be the odd noob that asks for advice, most of which can already be obtained by using the search facility, after all, how many threads have we had about strut return pipes?

From it's early days the traffic here is in decline, which has to be, for the reasons stated above.
So, it's adapt or die really aint it.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...