900 Miles, four days, proved me wrong.

Anything about BXs
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

900 Miles, four days, proved me wrong.

Post by Thickasmud »

Ferry was booked and really I was not convinced after the last few months of hiccups, that even a short hop across the channel was such a clever idea. From the moment MUD was spotted by the French immigration officer at Dover we were treated, well differently, and in almost deference we were ushered past waiting euro-boxes, camper vans, etc.. The same treatment we experienced on the return when the UK immigration officer was told by his french counterpart that he too had been an owner of a BX "an exceptional automobile of real design..."

I counted nineteen BXs whilst in Normandy, most still in service but all pretty beaten up, English plates on the car seemed to generate a certain patriotism and I was surprised just how much conversation the car caused, when we parked anywhere.

The car's handling despite being a lowly TGD was a revelation on the smooth, clear and un-obstructed roads, it really did float. I drove past 2 yes 2 speed cameras in total, and have concluded that the roads @ me in the SE of England at least, totally change the character of the car making it's ride quality far more ordinary than its design permits.

Damn good car, bit slow up the longer hills, but perfect for cross-country and then finding that last parking space in the middle of a seaside town before half of Paris arrives for the August holiday. :twisted:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That last photo really makes me want to go to France again...roll on October! Not bad spotting, 19 in 4 days. I had noticed on the last few visits that numbers seemed to have been dwindling, following the trend over here. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I thought exactly the same, Mat. I'm in France this coming weekend as it happens... but I'll be in the Fiat. So I doubt I'll be singled out for 'special treatment'.

Nice pics, Sir Thickasmud...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The BX-count in France increases in direct proportion to the rurality of the location, in my experience of trips to North-of-Loire locations in the last few years.

I did see a few last September in Paris while going round the Periphique and parked-up in some lower-rent locations like the area near the Goutte-D'Or. They probably are found as well in the urban banlieus to which the French authorities seem to like to condemn certain categories of their their citizens contrary to the spirit of liberté, égalité, and fraternité. But then some people are always more equal than others.

French rural roads do bring out the best in a BX though - they're really good at being a "Route-Nationaliére" rather than what the French call a "Routiére" (the sort of thing you point down the Auotoroute and set to the highest cruising speed that's manangeable and mostly legal).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.