Tasty Athena - Part Deux

Anything about BXs
Linegeist
BXpert

Tasty Athena - Part Deux

Post by Linegeist »

I'm in a quandary ... (that's like a 2CV, only smaller) and I'd like some advice from the learned membership.

I'm the bloke who bought that 'tasty' Athena The offending BX and the purchase has given me something of a headache. The thing's the complete opposite of my current TZD Estate I bought the Athena to stand-in for while I restored it.

I bought this Athena because my TZD needs a facelift. I bought the TZD 4 years ago from an elderly gentleman who finally gave up driving (after first having gently squished the corner of every bumper on the car) and, to my shame, I've used it as a runaround ever since while restoring our 19th century cottage - and it shows. The interior needs taking out and vax-ing, the black surrounds need repainting, there's an annoying little ding near the fuel flap, the passenger window switch in the driver's door has stopped working .............. but the car's only done 80k. It runs perfectly .. but I really like this Athena. The problem is, the bloody thing's immaculate.

However, I've reached the conclusion the Athena's been neatly clocked. I finally twigged (after findig shagged radius bearings, worn driveshafts, almost clapped clutch) when the odometer rolled over to 63,000 miles last week - and all the digits went all squiffy, a classic symptom. So, I suspect it hasn't done 62k at all - more like 162k ..... but that's not the real problem, I can easily fit new rings, shells, driveshafts and a clutch - I've already ordered new trailing arm bushes and it's worth it for this car's general condition. It really is mint (ish).

The problem is the TZD. If I try and restore both, I'm going to get severe grief from herself ............ and I don't know which way to jump - cosmetic or mechanical. If I fix the Athena, I'm going to wind up with a beautiful hatchback with a sunroof, an almost silent and smooth petrol engine and an almost as-new interior. If I respray/restore the TZD overwinter, then I'll have to break the Athena at the end of it because nobody'll buy it with the problems it's soon going to have after another 6,000 miles.

Both cars are MOT'd until the end of next year, both are taxed - and I'm tempted to sell off the TZD on Ebay to fund the rebuild of this stunning - but worn - Athena.

Is this a bad move or not?
Linegeist
BXpert

Re: Tasty Athena - Part Deux

Post by Linegeist »

Aaarh!!!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Keep both, get the Athena upto showroom standard & just use it for summer use & for going to car club meets to show off its immaculate condition. Just use the tzd as your everyday car, simples :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

If only real life was that simple............. :cry:

Our 2-bay garage houses the new Bora - leaving just the one bay for me and my tools and motorbikes. Whichever car gets restored goes here, while the other one lives outside - or that's the plan.

However, it looks like both of 'em need to come into my lair ........... and if I try and evict the Bora, my life's going to be worth about as much as a pre-owned bogroll - and I'll be about as popular hereabouts an' all! :?

The really ideal solution of course, would be to nick all the bits I need off the TZD - including the engine - and transplant them into the Athena, but that's not realistically going to happen because it'll be a mechanical nightmare - the ABS swapover for a start is one issue I don't want to play with.

I dunno - I thought I'd bought a tidy BX for temporary use. I didn't expect the blasted thing to grow on me! :roll: :twisted: :wink:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'm with Mulley - keep them both. You probably wouldn't get much for the TZD anyway!
Bora? It's all in the name isn't it? And it's probably more resistant to the weather anyway so shove it outside.
As for the wife, wait til you've got five BXs, two of which are more ornaments than useful objects, then two seems really modest.
Well, you knew you wouldn't get a useful answer around here! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

:shock: I take my life in my hands every time I mention the word "BX"! You've no idea what it's like living with a technophobe .......... <sob!>

There's also the slight question of space .......
Last edited by Linegeist on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i certainly wouldnt even consider moveing the ABS over, as its another pain in the what sit when it gose wrong

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Regarding the squiffy numbers, alot of BXs are guilty of that and it seems to be a design fault, you normally find they even out after a while, another way is to tap the top of the binnacle hard as it turns over its next 1000 miles and they all line up again!.

The body looks too nice to have done so many miles, I would spend the money and get the bits done, regarding the clutch it may just need the cable adjusting?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Yeah ..... I tried that. :cry: So I popped off the dash binnacle - and the speedo head's been out.

Trust me, it's been wound back - honest guv', I can see the instrument screwdriver marks. I used to examine motor vehicles for the RAC in a previous life when I owned a small garage, so I'm kicking myself for not spotting this. The leading zero in the odometer was very slightly misaligned when I first saw the car after winning the E-bay bid on it, and it did feel a bit 'floppy', but I was seduced by the appearance, the as-new steering wheel (which was fitted crooked - anyone see that as-new one on Ebay - I wonder if they're the same.....:shock: ), immaculate carpets and the blingy bits. :roll:

I had the clutch actuating mechanism off yesterday in case the arm had developed a split - but it was fine. The reason it judders and needs a lot of (very squidgy) pedal travel for disengagement is simply wear - I suspect the friction plate is also flat as a pancake with age and has lost its 'springs' .... both axial and radial. Take-up is pretty fierce.

To say I feel a prat would be a slight understatement, however, I've certainly got £550 quids worth of tidy BX, so I can't really complain too much.

Is there a compatibility list anywhere around that shows what Peugeot bits fit a BX? I'm thinking of trawling for a complete engine and gearbox, service it on the bench (cambelt, pump, idler, et-al, and then swap it out one wet weekend and keep the old one as an emergency spare.

Gets complicated this BX lark, dunnit? :shock:
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I'd leave the bora outside, its newer & can take the weather, if wifey doesnt like it, tell it to her straight, you're leaving otherwise :lol: :lol:

Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Heh heh heh! If you'd like to come and stay for the weekend sometime soon Mulley, I'll be sure and tell her then ...............

............. and that you're the inspiration for the idea! :twisted: :wink:
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I look forward to popping over, whats for tea :lol: :lol:

Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Oh, just the usual. Squid-lip and Snail-testicle paté followed by battered roast Englishman on a nettle salad! :D :D :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

looks like the estate has been front ended at some time in its life, usual tell tale sign upside down chevrons on the bonnet

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I was almost certain that the BX never had a cat, now we have the proof.

And the estate has the windscreen wiper mod...