Jobs on my car

Anything about BXs
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Jobs on my car

Post by mnde »

I've spent all morning and afternoon doing some jobs on the car, since I finally had some time and daylight!

1) Took the jub clip off the ambient air intake pipe and pushed the rubber pipe home, which was hanging half off. All nice and tight now.

2) Undid jub clip holding the remnants of the old hot air hose, so now the new hose is secured properly, not with duck tape!

3) Took about half an hour to remove the fooking oil filler cap, and when I did, there was a mountain of mayonnaise and water, and discovered the cap didn't have any wire wool filter inside... Degunked the filler and the breather hoses. Fitted the Halfords cap off my other car after cleaning the mayo in that one all out with white spirit. Must be the worst designed thing ever. At least this Halfords one is relatively easy to remove!

4) Found out that the dizzy cap and rotor arm are different, so I couldn't swap over the nearly new ones from the other car...

5) Swapped over the bigger, almost new battery from the other car

6) Swapped the o/s headlamp because one of the fixings was broken and the reflective paint was iffy. Put in the extra powerful headlamp bulbs from the other car... and the headlamp protectors 8)

7) Ascertained that the cooling fan does work, and at both speeds! :) Used a paperclip to jumper the terminals (ouch!!)

8) Found that one of the LHM return hoses on the tank had split, which was the cause of all the LHM mess on the top of the tank and behind the headlamp. I knew I'd spilt a bit when I topped it up a couple of days ago, but not that much! Cut off the split end and pushed back home: no more leak!

9) Washed the car for the first time, looking lovely!

10) I'm going to start a new thread about no. 10...

Mark.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

7) Ascertained that the cooling fan does work, and at both speeds! Used a paperclip to jumper the terminals (ouch!!)
I find a long-handled screwdriver to be a tad less painful as a "bridging" tool :)
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I just managed to stick a bit of trim back on, still looking at the heater matrix and the seals, think its time for a glass of wine, I wonder if SWMBO will get up early and fit the matrix for me? better not ask.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I replaced my leaky steel fuel pipes yesterday, took me about an hour. Not bad considering the smaller bore return pipe is too short! The bend at the tank end is in the wrong place but a spot of modding with the vice sorted it 8)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i got my car working again! Even took it for a drive round the block!

do i win an award for longest time ever to get a car working
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Merry Christmas, happy new year and birthday all rolled into one. :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

All I`ve done recently was remove the newspapers from the seats where the kids had been covered in mud and swap a punctured wheel for one of my many spares.
After today`s shopping spree with my little angel I don`t think I`ll be spending any more on the BX for quite a while :(
Vauxhall apologist.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Filler cap wire wool

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

this part is rubbish it rusts in the mayo. Replace it with one of those stainless steel kettle anti-scale thingies.
They cost about £2 from Robert Dyas,big ASDA etc, and fit a treat.

Another Citroen quality issue solved.

Mike
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I looked at my BX today. Didn't even drive it!

Ian
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

Christmas eve, I polished mine! thought it would give the wife a hint about getting out of bet but alas it didnt! (i started it at 1 and was done by 1/2past but she didnt get out of bed until 3!!!)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

dont get me started on polishing! Yesterday me thought i would treat the lovely well behaved car to some TLC! Cleaned the bugger right down, then proceeded to use Turtle wax (yes cornish i know its evil), which was great, but it started raining! Making polishing off totally impossible and leaving a lovely smeared through car! :(

Looks much better for the wash though, and i cleaned the interior and scrubbed the leather clean :D

I love the BX :D
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Christine and Vera back on the road this week! It must be Christmas!
Congratulations Vanny; now you can remember what you are doing it for.
For my own part, the schedule of works was :

Air filter, fuel filter, Front spheres (The 500cc not 400 as an experiment,)
a shorter olly belt, (at last, the range of adjustment is in range!) a tighter HP belt, a new wiper blade, following a soak of the screen in fiercely harsh detergent for 24 hours and a thorough overhaul of a windscreen washer. Hint: A wound guitar string is a very good rodding iron for the pipe that runs through the wiper spindle. The crud gets into the pipe below it so I take it off and fit it to the top of the spindle to backflush the system. Works a treat.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

I've done more jobs on my car this afternoon:

Managed to break my chain wrench trying to remove a front sphere :evil: :( The first sphere came undone on the other Meteor pretty easily, the other with sustained persuasion... then again on the new Meteor, the LH sphere came undone really easily, but the other refused to shift... and finally got the better of my wrench. Arse. That scotches that then.

Replaced dizzy cap and rotor arm, cleaned HT leads, topped up LHM to replace fluid lost through split return hose. Greased sunroof runners and re-set the alignment of the sunroof cams, because they weren't engaged (large cam not fully pushed home) and thus the microswitch wasn't being actuated. Greased the sunroof gearwheel. Now it all works like a dream :)

Vacuumed the interior!

Now I'm knackered!!

Mark.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I took the spray bar off the windscreen wiper, cut two inches off the end and put it back on. Now the spray goes onto my windscreen, instead of the windscreen of the car behind, passing pedestrians, small children and low-flying aircraft.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Jobs done on my BX this afternoon:

- got a spare key cut, cos I only got one with the car

- topped up the coolant cos when I started it this morning the coolant light took a while to go out. Hmm. Funny that because I just had the coolant changed at the garage last Friday, and it was on MAX before I took it in. It needed 1 plastic cup of water and 1/2 cup of Antigel to bring it back to MAX on the dipstick. I'm going to monitor the level closely in the next week... because sustained lack of coolant is what did for my other BX :(

- scavenged some boot side panel securing clips from my other BX and also swapped o/s rear light cluster which was "green" rather than "smoked" - I think they fade, because I bought the o/s unit off ebay for the other BX a couple of years ago to replace a "green"/cracked one!

- washed it in the rain and cleaned out the wheelarches. Cleaned some of the underbonnet areas with a cleaning wipe.

- greased the door check-straps and adjusted the driver's door so it compresses the sealing strip properly.

Then it was dark!

Mark.