Recovering a BX wreck

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Recovering a BX wreck

Post by toddao »

I have to move a GTI from a field where it has sat for five years to my yard. In that time it's integrated itself into nature. Even if I can jack it up I doubt the suspension will budge.
I have to be able to tow it on and off a trailer with a tractor at either end of the journey ( and be able to get rid of it once it's been picked clean) so if anyone's got any bright ideas - let's have 'em!
I was considering making some kind of dolly but it's got to be simple and relatively cheap to construct..

cheers!

( a few people wrote wondering where I've been for the last few months. I'm still BXing but I was deep under in DIY land getting ready for the birth of our son who appeared last Sat and is called Ingmar. Now I've got to get the yellow break rolling again to fit the growing family!)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

In circumstances like this I get the local scrappy to come round with a skip loader (without the skip) run the skip chains through the windows and lift it on. Gibbo.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Congrats! But yes, I suspect a Hiab is your friend here. What's German for pikey? :wink:
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Zigeuner or maybe Kesselflicker Dolly :shock: Gibbo.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Congratulations on the baby!

No idea about the uplift though...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Good to see you back and congratulations on the news!

Is this a reward for all the DIY you've done, you're allowed to buy a spares car? That plan has never worked for me...

I have seen people spinning over the HP pump with a drill, but there's no guarantee it will rise anyway, plus you'd need a pretty good battery drill to spin it fast enough I reckon. We had our Disco craned out and onto the back of a flatbed for about £100 (although I think he'd want a bit more to cover his fuel to Germany). Maybe you can do some kind of of deal where the scrappy gets the car afterwards for nothing?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Congratulations .When mine has me up at a god forsaken hour crying i can take confort in the thought that im not the only one up changing dirty nappies.LOL :?
Do you know of any farmers locally who could use a tractor with bailing forks? or else i agree on the Hi-Ab hire/skip lorry.
I used to be the manager of a Breakers yard and we had extensions for a fork lift which was great as we could lift them right up and get underneath to remove stuff(Health and safety?)
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies everyone.

Mat wrote
Is this a reward for all the DIY you've done, you're allowed to buy a spares car? That plan has never worked for me...
You must work longer, harder, make more groaning noises etc or at least make a larger cloud of dust to hide within!
The wreck is free and I haven't discussed it with the wife. It will just appear like an apparition. But a real one.
Tractors are aplenty as are Unimogs but I don't know anyone with baling forks. That's a good idea actually. I'm not sure a skip loader would fit down the track to my yard but that would do it.. must investigate.

The little man had his first ride in a BX - back from the hospital. He seemed rather non-plussed actually!
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:longer, harder, make more groaning noises
Ahhhh, maybe that's what I need to do more of, then I'll be able to get another car!

Back to the one in the field, can you just not drag it onto a trailer with a tractor? That's what I did with the Xantia engine donor for my BX. It may scrape a little but if you're not too worried about damage it should be OK. A high lift jack under the trailer hitch would help the angle between ramps and trailer.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The GTI got rudely dragged from its resting place today by Bernhard and his tractor. Note the pile of inner tubes which we had to move out of the way and were wet and slimy. Heaven knows why he needs 100s of old inner tubes!

In the second pic can be seen the side damage which ended this BXs life. Rather than haul it to my area I'm stripping it in situ. Today I got out half of the A/C system out which involved some pro hacksawing through the dash!

Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Wow. Looks like Bernhard's head has been Photshopped in lol!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Nice tractor! (I quite like the dungarees too :oops: )
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

scarecrow wrote
Nice tractor! (I quite like the dungarees too Embarassed )
great for that uncle Jesse look! Around here they're almost mandatory if you're doing any kind of work. As are the old tractors. Though that one's only 40 years old. There are some going back to the 20s that get rolled out at the weekend and there's often (slow) convoys of the things cruising about, most of them perfectly restored.
Todd

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I'm actually looking for a place with a piece of land so that I have an excuse to buy an old tractor! :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Would this fit the bill? :)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad