BX Camper - can it be done?

Anything about BXs
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

BX Camper - can it be done?

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm had enough of the daily grind, and have gone freelance. On top of this, we're moving to Wales (I refuse to confirm whether this is because my wife discovered that Mr Fenwick also likes a glass or two of red...)

I could well spend a lot of time on the road, and may not be able to afford hotels every time I'm away, so I'm considering turning the BX into a camper.

I'd appreciate views on this. I know the aforementioned Mr Fenwick enjoyed turning his BX into a happy camper on the BXagon - has anyone else turned their BX into a kippage machine? Hardly after the full facilities, but making a comfortable bed is obviously a priority.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Youd be best keeping the CX for that one mate.

The rear seats all out and something to make the load space flat and its over 6ft, totally ideal for lying about in :)

But im sure the BX could be done too, Im thinking a wooden frame to flatten the rear space and take maybe a futon mattress thing, some curtains or blinds to popper or toggle over the windows, job jobbed :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

In theory, the CX is perfect. Apart from the fact that it's a Familiale. And it breaks down a lot. And it slurps twice as much juice as the BX. And I want to sell it. Other than that, spot on! :wink: :P

BX is hard to beat due to its low running costs. Filled up today, another 48mpg.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Exactly why my BX might get LPG now ive this kit sitting about :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It can be done!
Carl came over here earlier this year, with his girlfriend in his BX. The only problems he had were showering, and some campsites not allowing it on! But if you camp wild the latter obviously won't be a problem...

Oh, and you're more than welcome to pop round for a drink, we do have drinks other than wine so could sort you out with a nice cuppa!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mat - an interesting read. Ventilation is an issue I hadn't considered - our H van was fully wood lined, which was nice. How did you get on with that on the BXagon?

We'll definitely come and visit once we've moved to Wales, and we'll invite you over once we've sorted the place out!
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Ian

I've slept in my hatch - it's tight in the back!

What you need is a dormobile roof - shame I used to have a spare Land ROver one!!!

I'd be tempted to get a Heleuz (sp.) ambulance for your purpose. Alternatively, there's a company in Scotland that does a car awning type thing that means you can camp. It is a Caranex I believe.

Planning ahead for £9 travelodges may be better.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. Planning ahead could be tricky given the nature of my work. "Yeah, we need that feature doing yesterday!"

I have kipped in the back of a hatch, and can confirm that it's bloody horrible. I'm 5'9" and found it horribly cramped. I'd hope that the estate could offer that bit extra length that I need. An ambulance could be fun, but I'm quite attached to my stripey TGD.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I think an XM with the front seats reclined would be comfortable enough! You can get really comfy in one - I think you may even find enough space in the back!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm just over 6' and found it fine in the back of my estate. I tend to sleep diagonally, but have slept lengthways when not on my own. If it's liable to be light before I want to wake then I'll sleep with my head under the parcel shelf.
As for ventilation - not a massive problem solo I find, although a strip of wood under the tailgate would keep it open a touch. Or window deflectors (if you can find them!) to allow the windows to be open and keep dry.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I've slept in the back of mine loads of times without any problems, just add copius amounts of ale!
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I'd love to have a herse, complete with nice comfy coffin i could sleep in... oh the faces in the morning when you arrise from your slumber... :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

When I was in Cornwall there'd sometimes be a car parked at the top of the cliffs with a fold out tent built into the roof rack! I can't remember how access worked though.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Stinkwheel wrote:, some curtains or blinds to popper or toggle over the windows, job jobbed :)
wouldent very dark limo tint to the rear windows and a divider bethind the seats work better than curtains or a blind ?

I wouldent mind a bx camper but would prefer the estate to start with , getting dressed / undressed in the hatch back is a pain :lol: