Stranded BX auto

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Roverman wrote:
battery was new a couple of months ago, and is a heavy duty BX diesel battery and a good quality at that.
That actually might be at the root of your problem. The diesel battery being higher Ampere hour will take longer to charge than the standard battery with the standard alternator. If you had been only doing short runs it may have just been depleted.

I personally can't see any advantage in using the diesel battery of which the application specific benefit is to deliver a higher CCA (cold cranking Amps) of about 600A. This needed because of the higher compression of a diesel.

For our petrols the required CCA is lower and with lower Ampere-hour rating the re-charge time following starting is faster.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

No, having a bigger battery on his petrol is just giving him a bigger reserve of power if ever needed, he isn't using any more power starting his engine so his petrol alternator should still recharge the battery just as quickly. He's taking the same amount out of the bigger battery as the smaller one and having to put the same back in?
Last edited by Defender110 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I bought the diesel battery as I found the ones listed for petrol BXs Ive bought in the past go flat quite quickly as I dont use my cars that much and dont turn over as fast they should in my opinion, plus the TZI with its autobox and lots of eleccy bits it doesn't do any harm to have some extra oomph. Since fitting the new battery its always started very well until the recent hiccup.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....