Anything about BXs
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Odds 'n' Sods

Post by sarahjaneking »

Well the bus has gone and I picked up our new BX last week :D Obviously we are probably going to have our hands quite full keeping them both running well and a few bits need doing on the TZD so if anyone has any experience of

changing the heater blower motor

unblocking washer pipes

finding exactly what that strange clanking noise is under the car when you go over bumps

adjusting / changing the clutch cable

adjusting the exhaust so it's not rubbing on the trim

then your advice would be most gratefully received :lol: :lol: :lol:

you never know we may even convince my hubby to post on here :shock:

At least once we've finished (are you ever finished????) we should be able to start helping rather than just asking all the time,

thanks in advance

Sarah x
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Hi Sarah

For the washer pipes check and clean the little in-line filter located near the washer bottle before contemplating replacing the pipes (£20 from Citroen last time I asked)

I'd suspect drop links for the clanking noise - but could easily be something else.

You might have luck in the meantime searching for old posts on the individual topics - none of them sound very unusual :wink:

Good luck
sarahjaneking
BXpert
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

thank you very much - drop links give me as good a starting point as any :)

Also need to replace the o/s wing mirror - we actually have two good ones, one came with the car and the other I've had since we got rid of the rendezvous in 2004 - well I knew it would come in handy one day :lol: :lol:

I shall now go and clean my filter before I pick the kids up :)

thanks again

Sarah x
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

If you are messing about with washer bottles, take them off altogether, wash out all the mould that is feeding off the alcohol in the cleaner, and fit new lines from Halfords - a few quid only. If you then get some glass cleaner and give the windscreen a good scrub back, and some rain-X onto it, it'll be like having a new windscreen. It'll take about 1/2 hour altogether.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

8) I second oscars advice cleaned out both of my washer bottles this morning both were horrible stinking things which i understand can harbour legionairres bacterium!! Now both sparkling clean used a wheel brush to reach the awkward areas whilst both bottles are out use the opportunity to clean all the filth from the recess's under the screen where the bottles usually live then spray with wd40. Surprisingly found this exercise very enjoyable!! 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes handle the water bottle issue with great care. Legionaires disease is a real issue here. :!:

Adjusting the clutch cable :? Mmm, this is the only one of your problems the would cause me concern. You may be lucky and get away with just that! but often when the cable feels like it wants adjusting, "it's new clutch time"

We would need to know whether it's a n/a 19d or a turbo diesel as they have different cables.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ght=heater

My description of the heater blower replacement is the third post down.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I believe it's a TZD...

I'll be following the wash bottle advice over the weekend too - thanks. The legionnaires disease scare mentioned using plenty of alcohol in your washer bottles as that particular bacteria can't tolerate it. Might be worth looking into for a better understanding though...

When I changed a wing mirror I dropped one of the screws into the depths of the door and never to be found again. I am a bit of a klutz though :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if the washer pump is running but not fluid ejectting from were its spozd to, pull the rubber hose off from the centre of the wiper arm pivot, and the feed pipe from the bottom end under the wiper mechanisum, then with a length of stiff/solid wire shuve it down through the tube the two pipes attatch to, as this gets a build up of rust inside which restricts/stops the flow of fluid to the screen,

then whilst you have the washer jet tube/pipe removd from the car gently poke out the 6 jet holes with just the right thickness of stiff wire, then blast the pipe out with compresed air,

do not open the jets up any more than they are supposed to be, or you will have a drop in fluid presure out of the jets,

the heater fan is held in place by three 6mm bolts (10mm spanner size),

you need to first remove the plastic scuttle between the bonnet and screen,

once the motor and houseing are out connect 12V directly to the terminals to the motor brush's,

if the motor runs full speed the fault is usualy the speed control transistor which is mounted in the back of the fan houseing

regards malcolm[/b]
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Odds 'n' Sods

Post by Way2go »

sarahjaneking wrote:
unblocking washer pipes
I don't know whether others have experienced this too but...............a prime site for blockage is through the spindle of the wiper motor.

I found that it was impossible to blow this clear even with an airline, so with rubber pipes off both sides I carefully drilled out the accumulated crud with a hand-drill. Worked well after that with a good flow too. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
sarahjaneking
BXpert
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

loads of great advice, all totally superceded by the fact thtat I've discovered you can't see the dash in the dark :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
sarahjaneking
BXpert
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

or typr after a drink or three :D
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Neddy is locked in a room and the doorknob has fallen off the outside...

Seagoon> Turn the knob on your side

Neddy> But I 'aven't got a knob on my side

:lol: Spike Milligan - quite some time ago :lol:

Have you tried turning the knob on the steering column - the one that controls the brightness of the bulbs on the dash :-)
Last edited by electrokid on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
sarahjaneking
BXpert
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

electrokid wrote:Neddy is locked in a room and the doorknob has fallen off the outside...

Seagoon> Turn the knob on you side

Neddy> But I 'aven't got a knob on my side

:lol: Spike Milligan - quite some time ago :lol:

Have you tried turning the knob on the steering column - the one that controls the brightness of the bulbs on the dash :-)
cheeky :P, of course I did, well I think I did wheels up and down near the bonnet release catch ???? did absolutely f-all, my warning lights all light up just not my dials - please tell me it's not a dash removal job - I hate removing dashes grrrrrrrrrrr although I wonder if you can get white dials for a bx :rofl:
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you lever out the dimmer switch you may find the wires pulled off the connectors at the back, I've had a few like that. Gibbo.