MOT Pass - amazing

Anything about BXs
Linegeist
BXpert

MOT Pass - amazing

Post by Linegeist »

I half expected the Athena to fail its MOT today - given how many miles it must have done (despite its modest 68k on the well-clocked-clock). I was going to use its failure as the catalyst for tearing it to bits and renovating the TZD Break ........

True to form, the darned thing passed ............ despite the Solex carb doing its best to spew the maximum amount of HC into the exhaust analyser in the shortest possible time. My friendly tester attacked it with a large screwdriver for long enough to get it legal (although it then ran like a Spanish cow on heat) and it's got another year's ticket.

If I sound ungrateful, it's because the main reason for going back to Turbo Diesel power has now bneen jerked away from me :?

Nevertheless, before I weakened totally, I booked the TZD in for an MOT next week - just to see what needs to be done (if anything) to get a ticket. If THAT passes too, I may just have to flog the Athena rather than rip a running BX apart :evil: :evil: :evil:

Damn! :roll:
Linegeist
BXpert

Re: MOT Pass - amazing

Post by Linegeist »

PS: What's the best way to rejuvenate one of those 'orrible Solex wossnames?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Linegeist wrote:PS: What's the best way to rejuvenate one of those 'orrible Solex wossnames?
You can get them rebuilt Bob, theres places that do them, or convert to a weber.

I not long fitted a rebuilt solex to my 16TRS (thanks electrokid) and its transformed it, starts when warm doesnt drink fuel and goes well.

DONT BREAK THAT TZD! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Roverman wrote:DONT BREAK THAT TZD! :wink:
:shock: :shock: I well remember the virtual shoeing I got when I suggested that a few months back guv'! I still have the emotional scars an' all!!! :P

Trust me. Given that scrapping TZD's is obviously even more of a crime than eating freshly sautéed babies, the TZD's going nowhere ...........

Now, could you pass me the ketchup, please....... :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think you should break it Bob, would make a valuable North Wales source of diesel specific spares for mine! :wink:
(Runs and hides)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

If the car goes why break it?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:I think you should break it Bob, would make a valuable North Wales source of diesel specific spares for mine! :wink:
(Runs and hides)
I have you address Mr Fenwick remember, so its pizzas and taxis for you with suggestions like that! :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Roverman wrote:its pizzas and taxis for you with suggestions like that! :wink:
Mmmmmmm, can you make them large with extra pepperoni? :D

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

............... and babies! Yum yum!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

kiwi wrote:If the car goes why break it?
because I bought the Athena thing so I could take the TZD off the road and restore it. But the Athena was cosmetically so nice I drove it for a year ........... and the TZD sat ignored........ :cry: :cry:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Linegeist wrote:
kiwi wrote:If the car goes why break it?
because I bought the Athena thing so I could take the TZD off the road and restore it. But the Athena was cosmetically so nice I drove it for a year ........... and the TZD sat ignored........ :cry: :cry:
Well give it the once over and stick it in for a MOT and see whats what, at the end of the day its a low mileage TZD Turbo estate, rare car nowadays and would be a shame to break it it if it can be avoided.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Yep. That's what I intend to do ............ the problem is, if it passes (which it well might - it passed last year with no advisories and has done 23 miles since then and has sat in the workshop) what do I do next????

I want replacement bumpers for the TZD (the old chap who was the only owner of the TZD previously had a problem with judging distances.... :? ) which are on the Athena, spare front brake calipers (the TZD's are getting sticky) spare rear suspension units and trailing arms (on the Athena - with new bearings I fitted last year) and the various hydraulic and electrical gubbins that are common to all BX's, in order to get the TZD as close to 'right' as I can

It's a pity I can't shave the champagne paint off the Athena too and stick it in the Estate as it's almost mint - and I'm not looking forward to respraying the whole car.

It's a ruddy quandary - the donor car I bought is just too good to scrap, but the parts I want for the TZD are either unavailable or likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Y'know, I used to be really undecided about things - but I'm really sure about that any more. :roll: :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I know the feeling, I used to be good at procrastinating but now I just find I have too many things to do first.

I can see your dilemma though - one option would be another spares car (no, not mine!) but then it's an unknown. Do you shell out on the car plus travelling to collect, only to find the bits you want are worse than the recipient car? There is a guy living near Valley who apparently has a stash of spares (I bumped into him in a car park!) - if you PM me your number I can let you know when I'm planning to pay him a visit?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Im sure between us bob we must have some decent bumpers etc that will fill you needs. Richard?
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote: Mmmmmmm, can you make them large with extra pepperoni? :D
SO... one minibus with a half eaten spicy sausage in the back headed your way... :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk