MOT Pass - amazing

Anything about BXs
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Linegeist wrote:
Y'know, I used to be really undecided about things - but I'm really sure about that any more. :roll: :wink:
You know, "There's nothing a true agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not."

Monty Python
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I really think you guys are lucky with your BXs.

Yo get a test every year to decide the fate of a BX, we in NZ get one every 6 months and I can pretty much guarentee that a little drip of green stuff will fail it everytime.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

In France, we used to have one every 2 YEARS!

And even then, the tester would bend over backwards to get it through (mind you, that might have been due to the €20 tip I always gave him ....) :wink:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

You can get them rebuilt Bob, theres places that do them, or convert to a weber.
I'd go with that - Weber conversion apparently needs a manifold change as well for different mounting on the carb - not seen the arrangement myself but an adapter plate should be a viable route to take.

Google recon / refurb kits there are a few suppliers - fit the diaphrams first and see if it makes a difference. If it has started to run rich because of a pinhole leak in a diaphram it's common for the local garage to tweak the mixture to lean to 'cure' the problem - this is a pretty naff way to go about things because when you fix the problem properly with a carb recon kit the mixture can sometimes be far too lean for the engine to even run.

Bottom line - if you change the diaphrams and the change in running characterstics is significant then you've likely fixed the problem - but you'll very likely need to adjust the slow running / main mixture to get it right.

Again google to find the adjustment process if uncle haynes is not being helpful enough.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Linegeist wrote:In France, we used to have one every 2 YEARS!

And even then, the tester would bend over backwards to get it through (mind you, that might have been due to the €20 tip I always gave him ....) :wink:
It's still every two years, and a lot less strict than a UK MoT - plus if it fails (unless it's something VERY serious), you get two months to fix it, and can drive perfectly legally in that time. My tester always laughs when I tell him that a non-functioning windscreen washer (or whatever) is a fail...

Oh, and the first BXs will be eligible for collector's car status here in a few years – that means a (simplified) test every five years! Until recently there was no test for collector's cars at all!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

<SOB!> There's not much that would drag me off this beautiful island - but the chance to return to France to live is one of them........ :cry:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You have better weather than the rest of North Wales, and even have a vineyard not too far from you - what more could you want? Bloody foreigners, never happy! :wink:
But yes, I could be tempted with a move to France, but until then I'll have to settle for the odd visit.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad