Swampy too old for Insurance

Anything about BXs
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

lancaster insurance, via internet. 32 year old with not perfect licence (i.e points) and not garaged and used for 6000 miles a year is 145 quid. No NCB as its a classic policy but hey.

I seriously do not think you need to sell your car, just look in the right places.

Im happy to get quotes for you if you want to PM me your details, i guarantee will get it below 200 at least.

Im sorry if this sounds short or to the point, im on lunch break and have limited time to type :) :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Nice one stinkwheel, but lowest is 400, highest is 1300 with Lancaster, and that's with 8 years NCB

Thanks for the suggestion though, I do appreciate it.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

im totally bemused by that, really i am.

insurance, robbery without the violence!!!
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I think(standing on my soapbox) that insurance should still be compulsary but be a state run scheme and the insurance should like many euro countries be displayed in the window of said vehicle instead of a tax disk.
It could be far cheaper and stop all these insurance companies having our pants down .I insured my 2.1td xantia and it was more to insure th.p/f/t than what i had paid for the sodding car!!!! Wheres the sense in that?
My pal lives in Oz and its government run on a 3rd party only scheme and if you want to ,you can pay to have it more comprehensive,so if i went to see them i would be covered to drive his car3rd party? This seems far more fair as i believe its the number plates you get with your insurance?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Are you sure they're quoting you for insurance, not to pay for Phillippe's brother's Jag-waaar? O - same thing, silly me!
ben
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ben »

My bx was insured with footman james for years but tpo and that was about 160. I wanted to change to fully comp after a prang with a taxi in another car got complicated and dragged out, but they wanted 660 ,despite my classic insurance on my 2cv van being with them at 150 fully comp and having classic bike insurance with them too,3 for £105.
Went on go compare and got f/c with AA for £350 in the end :? Still seems a bit steep but apparently insurance has gone up around 40% this year :x
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I wish someone would take insurance companies to task over this like they did with bank charges.
I'd be interested to see how much money they make and how much they pay out compared to what they bring in.

It's an absolute rip off to be honest and no wonder theyr eckon less people bother with insurance now as it's actually cheaper to get caught and pay the fine in a lot of cases.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I agree with Billy & you've hit the nail on the head. It's cheaper to get caught without insurance than actually have it, why the hell aren't the financial penalties more than the insurance, that way a lot more people would probably have the insurance as they wouldn't want to risk the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fine without.

Another issue affecting motor insurance is that every idiot who has a claim, also puts in an injury one whether its justified or not, gone are the days when just getting your car fixed was the issue, now its my poor neck has a slight ache, aaaaaah, i need councelling to get over the trauma of the incident & a massage & physyitherapy 3 times a week for the next 6mths along with a hire car whilst my car also gets fixed....It's no wonder insurance is through the nose, insurance companies can't make any money unless they put the premiums up.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Too right mate, then the people whose insurance has gone up because of this also claim as they feel they're getting something back and it becomes a vicious circle.
Vauxhall apologist.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Although insurance is not compulsory in NZ, I am not looking forward to my BX renewal in a few weeks time. Since we lived in NZ the premiums have been rising but only slightly and in fact couple of years they dropped.

But since the Christchurch earthquake and the 2000 odd aftershocks that have gone with it since those premiums will be a shock rise! Our House insurance went up 30% this month so I am taking a good guess the Car will go up something similer.

I guess really I am lucky with calculating the risk factor in as to what level of cover if any due to this non compulsory situation.
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

ben wrote:My bx was insured with footman james for years but tpo and that was about 160. I wanted to change to fully comp after a prang with a taxi in another car got complicated and dragged out, but they wanted 660 ,despite my classic insurance on my 2cv van being with them at 150 fully comp and having classic bike insurance with them too,3 for £105.
Went on go compare and got f/c with AA for £350 in the end :? Still seems a bit steep but apparently insurance has gone up around 40% this year :x
That's nothing, I insure my txd with FJ fully comp for £170 with no no-claims bonus but they won't even quote for my hubby's tzd even though he has a gazillion years no claims !!!!!! same age as mine and same engine so what's going on there I don't know - he also ended up with the AA!
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)