It flippin well failed to proceed!!!

Anything about BXs
Stinkwheel
1K Away

It flippin well failed to proceed!!!

Post by Stinkwheel »

Well, really.

Bx somewhat blotted its copy book dont you know.
I was returning from Brummie land where i had dropped the g/f off at her parents for a bit, when on the M1 on way back to Northants, M1 is jammed silly, so scoot off at jnct 18 onto A428 to west hadden, harleston onto northampton. Easy, had a great run on the A428 lovely road, really suits an enthusiatically driven BX. even my 14 held a poxy mk3 golf at bay easily :)

Reaching northampton, i noticed a cloud of smoke that a seasoned citroen veteran instantly knows is high pressure LHM hitting hot exhaust. Luckily i was 500 yards from my parents house. I limped it to their road and parked up, with the STOP lights on.

LHM tank emptying onto the road courtesy of the big metal pipe that oes from pump to pressure regulator gubbins on a TU engined 14, this is just a U shaped 6.75mm one i think. Fractured at the pump end. Bumhats all round.

I borrowed my dads dyane and have returned home to pick up a spare similar (slightly longer) pipe i rescued from a BX in local scrappied years ago (we do pick these things up for a reason in the end it seems)
On the morrow I shall return with LHM, tools and said pipe to effect a full repair.

I have waxed lyrical in such a way above just because it amuses me in my wasted state as i needed to hit the drink after a hydraulic citroen let me down for only the 3rd time 15 years of driving them.

So yeah, me car broke and im bladdered!! Meh.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Argh, what a pisser :oops:

Still, your record with Citroens is nothing to be sneezed at and I suppose three breakdowns in 15 years is bloody good going.
Vauxhall apologist.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

this happend to me a few year back on my old deisel estate just after comming of the ferry at Dover,

so i drove her home to St Leonards on sea (around 50 miles or just under) with no hydraulics what so ever, almost at our road ans the rear box ripped of,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Imsure thats pipes been changed before I got it, I remember the previous owner saying so. Like yuo its about 15 years for haydraulic citroens, Ive only ever been stranded once, which wasnt a BX and it was my fault for not changing the cambelt when I got it :oops:

Still ALOT cheaper than running a new car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Roverman wrote: Ive only ever been stranded once, which wasnt a BX and it was my fault for not changing the cambelt when I got it :oops:
Me too - four year old Xantia TD, snapped its cambelt (and camshaft) on one of the cloverleaf intersections on the Paris Peripherique. How we laughed... But that one had been changed 20k earlier, just a faulty belt.
Otherwise the only complete BX breakdown I've had so far was a snapped HP pump belt on the current one just after we got it - suspect the belt had hardened as the car hadn't been driven at all for two or three years.
Come to think of it, neither of those count as me breaking down - both my wife... The second one, she phoned me, I said, no problem, there's a spare belt in the back. Except it was then back of the other estate....
She bought a new belt the next day, fitted it and no problem.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I had the same one go in Coventry. Problem is I live near Portsmouth and I was on my way to Liverpool (or there abouts).
Had to go to Halfrauds and spend £50 on 1 litre bottles of LHM to get me to Garswood nr Wigan, where I was saved by the Vanny and his surplus stock of pipage.

It had gone because I\'d left the support bracket/P-clip off it, so vibrations from the engine had fractured it in the union....worth checking if yours went there too.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Piston broke, Stinkwheel?

What a pisser. Hope it's an easy repair.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Luckily it was an easy repair :)

Slight bendage of the pipe i had spare and bobs your uncle.

Kitch your point about a P clip is interesting, as it doesnt seem to have one on it. (the old one that is.)

I shall take care of that i think so it doesnt happen again.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

is the regulator and flow valve boltted up tight, as movement here can cause some of the pipes to fracture,

i have offten seen the FDF just dangling on its pipe with no bolts holding it at all

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

I've had this pipe go just there too - and the Cit garage that fixed it noted that the clip in the middle was missing, said this was probably the cause and fitted a new one (pipe and clip).

One of only 2 LHM related breakdowns - the other being the PAS return pipe on a BX TD - had I realised that was what was wrong, I would have fixed it rather than had it AA'd from Manchester to Reading....!

Oh, no, there was another one - blew a front strut on a BX TD - but that happened at home, so I don't count it!
I NEED a BX TD.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if this is the walking stick shaped pipe that goes from the regulator to the FDV, it does not have any suportting clips/brackets at all,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have