Tom's BXpress Column Jan 2006

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/roundup/

typo in Jons post me thinks (comma after www)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Ha ha ha ha

In reference to Tom's 'running costs', if only mine where so low!

Lets have a brief look at mine!
1.7TD 'spare' engine to tide me over cost over £250 after the SECOND head change and it still blew due to the corrision monster eating it to death.
two MOT's after the first set couldn't TAKE the emmisions tests as it kept over heating and blowing the rad as the hg was gone (nearly £60 as the second set the nice man charged naff all for!)
New 309 DTurbo rad and wiring only set me back a mere £20 and worth every penny.
Then theres the recon of the 1.9 TD head, expensive but VERY good, with the HG set and bolts and filters and other bits that came in at just under £350.
Then theres the Ram, calipers and third alternator coming in at not far off £60, theres also all the special presents i've bought the car in the last year (such as rear leather headrests, thank you Mr Fearn) taking the toll up another £50.
We havent even ventured near all the new tools bought which weigh in at over £100, nor the insurance for the year £860 or the road tax £170

So in the last 363 days ive spent (not including fuel) around £1920. In my car in the last 363 days i've covered around 600miles, so call that £50 in fuel and grand total of £3.29 per mile!

which by Tom's figures is enough to drive 7 Foci for a year :D
Bugger!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I really liked the bit about a new cars image costing more than its useage.

To put my personal slant on this, I've used a 1984 2CV6 Club daily now for the last 12 months. The purchase price of the car was nothing. To make it a viable proposition to use i had to put in another gearbox, which cost me nothing because i have spares. I MOT'd it and put some tax on does that count as costs? I've serviced her a couple of times and changed a kingpin. I've covered about 6000 miles in that time. I figure total costs including fuel and tax, servicing, MOT etc as being......682 pounds. So over 6000 miles i think its cost me about 12 pence a mile to use. Seems reasonable to me.
Unfortunatly I have no image kudos whatsoever for driving it, do i worry?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"