ice and snow

Anything about BXs
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Vanny wrote:So far i've seen about a 4mm maximum covering of snow, quite dissapointed.
Just for you then: :)

Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Been told by work to be aware the Mr Plod is stopping cars with excessive snow on their roofs and giving 3 points@£60 fines .Havnt heard it on the news but thought I would let you all know.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I always clear the car completely before I drive it, though the last 2 days I've chickened out and not bothered going anywhere :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

richardd1652 wrote:Been told by work to be aware the Mr Plod is stopping cars with excessive snow on their roofs and giving 3 points@£60 fines .Havnt heard it on the news but thought I would let you all know.
Richard.
I've heard this a lot too. My girlfriend's Mum got stopped for it. A lot of people seem to be driving round with their lights and number plates completely covered too.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Wooscary wrote:
richardd1652 wrote:Been told by work to be aware the Mr Plod is stopping cars with excessive snow on their roofs and giving 3 points@£60 fines .Havnt heard it on the news but thought I would let you all know.
Richard.
I've heard this a lot too. My girlfriend's Mum got stopped for it. A lot of people seem to be driving round with their lights and number plates completely covered too.
Its funny but down here in little ole NZ especially around where I live we have a lot of skier types coming off the mountain with cars coated on snow!!!
Its a pretty cool look I suppose when you get 30 minutes up the road to green pastures to have a roof piled with snow, this winter even though its been pretty mild they cops were warning about the "unsecured loads" on the roof. Although here getting points is pretty hard to do and losingyour licence even harder unless your a dickhead and even then they give it back in 28 days or you just give a sob story that you need you licence for work. Anyways thats another story!

We blamed the Aussies for this approach of snow on roof safety (yes Australia gets snow :shock: ), seems it went north!!!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Been told by work to be aware the Mr Plod is stopping cars with excessive snow on their roofs and giving 3 points@£60 fines .Havnt heard it on the news but thought I would let you all know.
Seems to me to be common sense not to have snow on the bonnet which can blow up to the windscreen and not to have snow on the roof which can blow off into the path of others on the road.

A watering can full of hot water can clear that and the windows - but not too hot - boiling water from the kettle can easily crack the glassware.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Wooscary wrote:
Richard.
TBH I'm glad that some action is being taken against imbeciles that barely clear a 4" slot on their windscreen and think that is fine. I spent a good 10 minutes clearing all the snow from my vehicle so that I can see properly and not drop snow all over the car behind. Is it really that difficult to be responsible in the way you use your vehicle?!

Saw a BMW (of course..) 3/4 off the road on the way in to work yesterday. I'd have stopped and helped if I'd thought he'd not been a complete pillock about driving in the snow. The foot of snow on his bonnet, roof and rear window said to me that he wasn't overly responsible in his winter driving manner......
this might be a signature
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

DavidRutherford wrote:TBH I'm glad that some action is being taken against imbeciles that barely clear a 4" slot on their windscreen and think that is fine.
Thats the people they are really targetting and quite rightly should do. Although it is quite amusing in blizzard conditions to not have a small gap to see out of :(

Try driving a Bus with a few damp people on board and see how clear you windows can stay without fogging up. Worse still when the mirros get ice coated, thats no fun.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's not much fun spending 8 hours a day freezing to death on them either.
Still, apparently it's fine to drive a bus with no heating because "well, it is cold out", so thats ok then :roll:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Very True Doc over the winter I manged to figure out the japanses writing and get the haeater of one of our buses working. Heck rarely need a heater in in because it was mainly used in the summer months so Aircon more important 8) Turns out the problem was a seperate fuel tank for the heater which was supposed to have kerosene in it well not much source of that around here so we run them on diesel. Oh it is blardy good though in fact a little to hot so the aircon has to be used to cool down the bus even in winter.
The other bus the heater packed up because the owner removed the fuse to stop an annoying warning beeper :? turned out the fuse was alos for the heater so I gave him a choice fix the beeper or get another driver :lol: he choose wisely :wink:

Oh of course they other winter fun pass time in a Bus used on the snow is chain fitting :( I got to get this thrashed out before next wnter of muggings here will be in a situation of pratting around with snow chains evry trip whne the point is reached that they have to be put on or taken off. Several minutes rolling around in slushy wet with frozen fingers is no fun either. Relay transport is what we should do but oh yes we need another driver for that!

Ahh but its fun with several tonnes sliding up and down a road, not many people around here have the guts or experiance to tackle that but I enjoy it :P just the chain fitting I hate.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Never tried fitting snow chains to a bus, I imagine thats about as fun as putting your tackle in a blender!

Over here the heaters dont work since virtually none of the fleet have thermostats fitted (because they overheat in the summer due to blocked rads, so it's easier to remove the stat than actually fix it), most of the fan thermo switches have been bypassed so the fan goes flat out all the time (because it's easier to bridge the wiring than buy a £7 switch) and most of the pipe lagging has long since disintegrated so there's a load of "heating" pipe being cooled by the air under the bus before it gets to the front.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Fitting these are a bierch it is very true

Given the options (note the chains on the snow plough tyres as well) you really want to put them on when you need to. We found though that we could get away a lot longer than most others on the road including the 4wds.

The road loops of to the right before heading up the ridge to the left next shot is from up there.

Last edited by kiwi on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

same bit of road as the truck a bit further back on a differant day

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Wooscary wrote:
Richard.
TBH I'm glad that some action is being taken against imbeciles that barely clear a 4" slot on their windscreen and think that is fine. I spent a good 10 minutes clearing all the snow from my vehicle so that I can see properly and not drop snow all over the car behind. Is it really that difficult to be responsible in the way you use your vehicle?!
I totally agree. (re-reading my post it may have looked like I was not in support of the police action.) I clear the whole car.