Time to update?

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Time to update?

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi In doing some artwork for the stickers it occurred to me that the www.bxclub.co.uk address opens what is now a very out of date, confusing page. I would hazard a guess that most club members see the forum as the main aspect of membership. So can I suggest we do some pruning? I would be happy to suggest a new layout for the home page (although I don't 'do websites' - HTML etc.) - a slightly less cluttered, logical, simpler design?

Some of it has been superseded by the forum content (for instance the 'Gallery' isn't working - it's sort of defunct), and other sections need highlighting better.

Promotion of the BXagon is clearly 'old' news and generally events are promoted within the Forum. By all means let's have a BXagon/Alan Smith memorial section with some pics from the event.

Any thoughts?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I agree Phil. Bit of a Spring clean. Unfortunately I never got past the Sinclair ZX81 so I can't offer any practical assistance with the technical side.
I really like the job you did on your 'Philibusters' site but I know you're a busy fellow!

There certainly is a lot of old and out of date info. I only visit this club and forum so I don't know what other examples looks like re inspiration. You might have to lead the charge!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes Phil you are right. The home page does need an update.
But this should not just be a one off thing. We need our own website editor to keep the content updated on a regular basis.

Whilst I do do websites I am not in a position to take it on though..........

Any volunteers ??
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

First thing is to get everyone who's interested to outline what they'd like to see on the website. Then maybe we could whittle it down to what's practicable and then get a few people to design different parts of the site according to interest/skills/time, following a site template so that there's a seamless feel to it all.

I wouldn't mind being involved, though I wouldn't want to give up a huge amount of time, and I'm not able to offer long-term support.

Style is important - I'm a big fan of white-space and then let the content do the talking. Flash is okay if there is a reason for an animation other than, "look, I can do a Flash animation!". Flash might be handy for illustrating how things like the hydraulics work, I'd certainly like to see that.

Another angle where the knowledge on this forum could be immensely valuable would be in describing how to carry out maintenance tasks.

up to date list of garages and parts suppliers. Insurance, etc.

I guess this is all obvious stuff, and I think having a dynamic and active forum is what really counts.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I quite agree. FWIW, I've often thought the site per se seems quite neglected in comparison to the forum.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mountainmanUK
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mountainmanUK »

Could be worth a list of Citroen part numbers for the "usual" bits which need replacing too. (or even some kind of cross-ref list to other potential sources)

Some very handy techy "fixes" are detailed all over the Forum, but could be better used if compiled into a more extensive list on the main site, to save trawling through hundreds of pages of posts to find the right one! (The Search facility, while ok, isn't exactly Google-like!)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I agree entirely, neither myself or Mat have access to change the front page though.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Then we need to contact the great Jon of Woodshire? FB be a good place to start?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

no no, it's Jim and Xac's domain now.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The Jim of the East.... And Xac from planet Xant....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

thats the ones!
Updating the mainsite has been mentioned before..

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

There's a 'new look' for the FCF now. I think if we are too ambitious in our expectations of content, then it won't happen. Let's just make a decent portal to the forum first without worrying about diagrams, turtorials, buckets of technical info etc. The forum has much of that. All I might say is there needs to be a better search facility if possible.

And maybe it's time to improve the club identity and launch it with some new stickers/t-shirts etc. After all, 2012 is the 30th anniversary of the BX.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Style is important - I'm a big fan of white-space and then let the content do the talking.

Me too - we've all been to web pages that are far too cluttered to easily find the info or links we want to get to.
Flash is okay if there is a reason for an animation other than, "look, I can do a Flash animation!". Flash might be handy for illustrating how things like the hydraulics work, I'd certainly like to see that.
Agreed. There is a version of XP that crashes when Flash is used and neither Microsoft nor Adobe can be bothered to get off their fat backsides to fix it. Since I'm still on dialup at the mo - and I have 'that' version of XP - I'm not a fan of Flash - though I'm sure it has it's uses.[/quote]
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I vote for a more direct route to the forum initially. This is where everything happens these days anyway.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:I vote for a more direct route to the forum initially. This is where everything happens these days anyway.
Quite agree.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....