BX Admirer

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

BX Admirer

Post by Tim Leech »

Went to the petrol station in the TZI today as I filled her up with the proceeds of selling that nail of a Beetle, chap at the next pump in a smartcar was very complimentary and said what a lovely example it is 8)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Nice one :) I don't think many people will be admiring my BX for a while :S
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeah well he was right! :D
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Had a guy in a recovery truck at a filling station the other day proclaim he'd never had a BX on the back of his truck. That was reassuring. I think?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Wooscary wrote:Had a guy in a recovery truck at a filling station the other day proclaim he'd never had a BX on the back of his truck. That was reassuring. I think?
True, but its probably because when it breaks down and ends up "on the deck" you cant get them on? :lol:

Joking apart Ive never been stranded in a BX yet (fingers crossed) and ive had more than most lol yes they have given trouble but never bot got me to my destination.
Linegeist
BXpert

Re: BX Admirer

Post by Linegeist »

Roverman wrote:Went to the petrol station in the TZI today as I filled her up with the proceeds of selling that nail of a Beetle, chap at the next pump in a smartcar was very complimentary and said what a lovely example it is 8)
Don't do this to me. :cry:

Herself is off to Manchester to buy herself a new Smart Cabrio next month ........................ I wouldn't mind too much - but guess who's going to have to maintain the damned thing. :evil:

I made the mistake of opining that she ought to get two - one for each foot. I spent 3 nights in the guest bedroom ............. :roll:
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Re: BX Admirer

Post by messerschmitt owner »

is she getting a brand new one?

If so, petrol or diesel - the diesels have huge issues with the DFPs if used as a city car and the petrol MHD is a bit rubbish.

I'd get her to get a roadster version.

There are numerous smart forums but the best one for advice and technical stuff is smartmaniacs.co.uk

maintenance is easy on one though - I do all the work on mine.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm my brother had a couple, horrid to drive, unstable and rubbish residuals, ok if you crash them but I would rather walk (sorry).
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Roverman wrote:Hmm my brother had a couple, horrid to drive, unstable and rubbish residuals, ok if you crash them but I would rather walk (sorry).
each to their own!

The horrible ride on a fortwo is caused by a combination of short wheelbase, single leaf spring on the front on the early ones. plus skinny tyres designed to induce understeer to prevent the 'moose' test results of the smart's big brother, the A Class.

The roadster is a totally different kettle of fish though! It is a proper sports car in the MG Midget/Sprite mode. I doubt you could criticise the handling in one of them.

Rubbish residuals in a smart? You can't buy them for £300 in any condition, you know! With a decent engine, the cheapest smarts are the best part of £1500 - not bad for a 10 year old car!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I've been thinking about an electric car :shock: Not a hybrid, but pure electric; and if I got some appropriate A-Tec generating capacity I'd have a seriously cheap to run car with zero emissions... and no tax... and a nice green halo to keep the rain off whilst walking the rest of the way home.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

My brother bought a new coupe in 2004 on a 3 year pcp, I drove it a couple of times, yes it went well and the handling was fab but that gearbox is pap unless you shift yourself, the ride was atrocious as were the seats, when it was 3 years old and time to change it was worth a heck of alot less than the agreed buy back price and so he ended up with nowt.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Back O/T - sort of - I have just come back from town and I got not one, but two people admire the car. Blimey - what's going on. :shock: :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes sorry, if you have a smartcar and like it then thats great, lets face it alot of people would think our obsession with a 25 year old french car a bit weird!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Back O/T - sort of - I have just come back from town and I got not one, but two people admire the car. Blimey - what's going on. :shock: :)
You'll get used to it... If you don't wash it for a couple of weeks the effect will soon wear off :lol: When I took the valver to Santa Pod, I had loads of people just come up to me and say how great it looked, or 'They had one of these back in the day'. And the same happened (to a slightly lesser extent) when I took the white one to Race Retro a couple of years back.

If you think about the huge number of them Citroen sold compared to the modest amount left on the road, it's hardly surprising. Most people will have had a BX in their family at some point.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

scarecrow wrote:I've been thinking about an electric car :shock: Not a hybrid, but pure electric; and if I got some appropriate A-Tec generating capacity I'd have a seriously cheap to run car with zero emissions... and no tax... and a nice green halo to keep the rain off whilst walking the rest of the way home.

here you go

1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!