Green laning in a BX

Anything about BXs
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

JayW wrote:Oh, and of course there's my (slightly over-exaggerated) "Rally Stage", sadly never got over 60mph as after all, i had to drive the 800 miles home in it :wink:
Jokes, that video just needs speeding up 2x :)

I think someone should try giving this idiot a run for his money :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I must admit, this looks fun...

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ben
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ben »

Dollywobbler wrote:As Mat says, a BOAT is usually fine to drive down, a RUPP isn't always. Check with the local council as it can be confusing. We get a lot of idiots here in Wales (especially on bikes and quads) who just drive where they please and give off-roaders a very bad reputation.

To be honest, apart from the trick suspension, there's not a lot that a BX possesses that makes it any better than anything else off road. A really boggy bit is still likely to be an issue, though especially the diesels have lots of grunt at tickover for 'trickling.'

I'm quite keen to have a go at Production Car Trials. It's basically off-road hillclimbing for normal cars. Winning vehicles have included both an AX GT and a Saxo. I'm quite tempted to have a go in one of my fleet. I reckon the BX might be quite handy.
I'd say the relatively light weight and skinny tyres also help with a BX..would certainly fancy my chances of not getting stuck in one over a modern mundaneo or Audi etc.. :)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

mat_fenwick wrote:So does this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxQ5v5yz-s
Drat. So I wasted my money buying a 4x4 then?

I note that driver uses a technique I discovered after getting the Green Tiger stuck in a ditch (don't ask...). Rather than just letting the wheels spin, if you dip the clutch, then release again, the differential effect takes a while to kick in and you can often get moving again. What's particularly impressive is that the BX above seems to be on standard road tyres!
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Dollywobbler wrote:I must admit, this looks fun...

That must have been on the only hill near Rotterdam and confirms that the Dutch are crazy - check out these nutters driving on the ice...

And yes, it is a frozen river!! =D>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbvazvju ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRiV_SWLan8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVboA5Tf ... re=related
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Interesting, we did a few PCTs when we lived down in Gloucester, and sometimes found that by backing off the throttle when the wheels were spinning, traction could be regained as the engine returned to idle. Obviously if the revs got too low you'd stall it, but by repeatedly blipping the throttle you could often make a few vital inches more progress to the next cane!

The BX has a bit of an advantage as the handbrake is on the driving wheels, so by lightly applying the handbrake you can slow down the spinning wheel and hopefully transfer some drive to the one with traction.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

mat_fenwick wrote:The BX has a bit of an advantage as the handbrake is on the driving wheels, so by lightly applying the handbrake you can slow down the spinning wheel and hopefully transfer some drive to the one with traction.
Timely advice considering the weather forecast. I shall bear it in mind if the snow gets as far east as London
:?
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I did try the handbrake trick when I got the BX stuck. It didn't seem to help at all. Rocking it with bursts of power works though, and funnily enough, I've just had to do the same thing having got my Maverick stuck in a snow drift!
BX4x4

Post by BX4x4 »

Dw would appear you need new addition to the fleet 4x4 BX?
BX4x4 GTI
BXTZD(rest in peace)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sadly, I'm on a one BX limit! I suspect a 4x4 transmission wouldn't last five minutes the way I drive either...
ben
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ben »

ben wrote:
Dollywobbler wrote:As Mat says, a BOAT is usually fine to drive down, a RUPP isn't always. Check with the local council as it can be confusing. We get a lot of idiots here in Wales (especially on bikes and quads) who just drive where they please and give off-roaders a very bad reputation.

To be honest, apart from the trick suspension, there's not a lot that a BX possesses that makes it any better than anything else off road. A really boggy bit is still likely to be an issue, though especially the diesels have lots of grunt at tickover for 'trickling.'

I'm quite keen to have a go at Production Car Trials. It's basically off-road hillclimbing for normal cars. Winning vehicles have included both an AX GT and a Saxo. I'm quite tempted to have a go in one of my fleet. I reckon the BX might be quite handy.
I'd say the relatively light weight and skinny tyres also help with a BX..would certainly fancy my chances of not getting stuck in one over a modern mundaneo or Audi etc.. :)
So the bx got stuck on the drive in the snow and i had to get the hibernating 2cv van out :oops: :lol:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Probably done 60+ laps of Aintree Circuit (Club) over the last few years in the BX, which given how much my BX is on the road, is quite impressive! Some where even at pace.