Welding

Anything about BXs
adamskibx
BXpert

Welding

Post by adamskibx »

Doe anybody know any good reasonably priced welders? I was going to attempt my BX welding myself, but its not tHe easiest job, and I am a little unsure as to whether I can do it or what the best course of action is.

Its both front inner wings and a strut top. Well, I don't know if the n/s needs doing, as I am not sure whether the hole is a failuire or not. Basically there is a 40 cm long weld from the strut top all the way down to near the headlamp, and the patch itself has holed, at the headlamp end, making it more than 30 cm from the strut top. Should I just buy an alarm and hide it, killing two birds with one stone :D Better not..

The other side is even more worrying, as its rusty on the right angle behind the LHM tank, AND the strut top itslef has cracked about 3 cm long, and has then rusted making a very small hole..Are you even allowed to weld patches on here? Its concerning stuff as the MOT is up end of June, and it would be a shame to scrap the car as its mechanically superb apart from the gearbox whine on overrun. I have just come back from a 300 mile round trip, managed London to the Midlands on less than £20 of petrol, and on the way back £30 due to higher speed. I forgot how thirsty the 1.4's are if you let them wind up, and how economic they are if you cruise at 60. Such a difference..
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as you say if the rust is outside of the prescribed area( 30cm in all direction's ) i should not usually fail the MOT,

also to weld the strut top turret area you might need to remove the strut to check clean up and weld both sides of the area,

in the 70's and 80's it was a common thing to cut out the turret and weld in an aftermarket pre/formed section, which you could purchase from the motor factors,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If you want to keep the car any length of time, I'd say get all the welding done, whether an MOT failure or not, but that's just me because I do it all myself where possible. If it's gone behind the reservoir, be prepared for the possibility that the rust has spread further.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks for the advice people. I knew that you used to be able to buy replacement strut tops for certain car, which is why I worried that you may not be abke to weld them up. As its just crack and a 4mm diameter hole, I wa wondering if you could literlly just weld this up without uing a patch...As the surrounding metal is good and just a blob of weld is enough to fill the 4mm hole..

The bit behind the LHM tank is most worrying.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I cannot say for definate whether it can be done in your case as I cannot see the car, but in theory you can stop drill the ends of the crack and then weld it all up.

As someone else here has said though, to ensure the best possible job (and to ensure you don't damage any heat sensitive parts), you really need to remove the strut, and personally I'd then cut out any weakened metal and weld in new, in order to avoid a repeat performance for as long as possible. After all, if it's cracked it's done so for a reason, usually down to a weakness somewhere, and simply welding up the crack will not necessarily remove that weakness.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
adamskibx
BXpert

Re: Welding

Post by adamskibx »

Well; I have taken the car to a garage that I found on the internet that does welding. They have quoted me £150 for ALL welding. This seems suprisingly low to me, but as they also do MOT's, and I am a bit strapped for cash at the moment, I thought I would give them a go.

He looked concerned by the sphere, and said "were going to need some oil for this". I explained that it can be easily removed like an oil filter, so long as the car is on low position, or there is negative pressure on the front suspension. Thinking about it I may just loosen it off beforehand so it does come off as easily as an oil filter! Whether they will remove the strut, I doubt it unfortunately, but I gues you get what you pay for.