So...new here

Anything about BXs
Sathos

So...new here

Post by Sathos »

What's hot and what's not?

My only experience has been a 1.9 diesel estate and I'd love another but the cars in general are getting harder
to find so being picky gets harder too.

Willing, capable and only too happy to get my hands dirty but are there any specific ones I should avoid?
Money is ultra limited so anything that can be 'done by hand' would be done thus rather than buying parts
so if there are specific models that are highly likely to need full mechanical rebuilds then they may need to
be skipped if you see what I mean hehe
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: So...new here

Post by Defender110 »

Well from the description of your requirements here and 'farewell to green tiger' the 1.9n/a estate would indeed be the best one for you closely followed by the 1.7tzd. They still come along quite frequently so i'm sure you won't need to be too patient.

EDIT:

Have you tried this?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C301203
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Sathos

Post by Sathos »

yeah I look on there every other day as Feebay seems good only for parts for BXs.

No money at the moment so going to spend the time learning more about the cars before I get one, if I am lucky maybe end of the year.
Sathos

Post by Sathos »

Sorry, headache making me forget my manners, thanks for the advice, I'll look between the .19 and 1.7s then :)
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Hi Sathos, and welcome to the forum. If you're looking for a BX or want to know something - indeed anything - about BXs; you're definitely in the right place! Good luck with your search for the right car.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Ahhhh, the beginning of another love affair - hello and welcome Sathos. More of a cat person meself, but that is a cracking looking dog on your other thread and great intro there too, so I'm linking.

I see Paul is inb4me so won't be hurting his sensitivities by recommending this thread to you - essential reading if you're on a tyre kicking expedition with a view to acquiring your very own BX!

You'll definitely want an estate for the head room for Miska, especially if your other dog is wolf-size. I loved my n/a (sadly cubed long ago as beyond economic repair) but the TZD just feels nippier and is my favourite. If comfort is a factor though, then although the TZD suspension - like all BXs - is fantastic, I have to admit that they don't quite have the float factor of the n/a - more of a sporty, slightly firmer suspension feel IMO.

It's worth holding out for the right car for you - keep an eye on the BXs for sale/wanted and BX Spotted sub-forums here and good luck finding what you want.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Sathos

Post by Sathos »

Thanks folks :)
Sathos

Post by Sathos »

So...poking around and from the research I did when I nearly had green tiger...

I am seeing rust as the primary potential issue? The rest seems to be things like
replacing spheres which are about £17 new on ebay, proper deep servicing and so on.

Have I missed a major common problem or two? (I would only buy a car that starts).
No problems doing welding, I have the skills and my bro in law has the kit, we have
good local scrap metal merchants for plates and so on.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

as with any car rust is an issue along with the hydraulic pipework,
try and find a car withe some service history and a decent length mot for starters,
cam belt changes are important but many feel its best to stick a new one on anyway,
rust usually appears inside the door shuts, rear wheel arches, sills, front door hinge panels and also under the windscreen washer bottles and inner front wing seams.
interiors are pretty hardwearing so excessive wear to drivers seat , front carpet or steering wheel may indicate its had a hard life
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Sathos

Post by Sathos »

Cheers Mickey!

I would do a deep service straight off (by deep I mean DEEP) anyway as you say.
When I was doing them on my dad's cars before he went motability I found it a great
way to get acquainted with the car, where parts are and so on.
I am one of those sad folks who finds himself flicking through haynes manuals out of interest ;)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D nothing wrong with that but be careful as the book of haynes sometimes lies

I keep my haynes manual in the toilet for a relaxing read .
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Mickey taker wrote:I keep my haynes manual in the toilet for a relaxing read .
Also quite handy if you run out of bog roll... :wink:
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

oh Sathos I forgot to say boot floor and A pillars ( under windscreen rubbers ) can rust as well
1991 BX Meteor 1.6