BX Back into service

Anything about BXs
adamskibx
BXpert

BX Back into service

Post by adamskibx »

I don't feel I am going to live that long. I smoke a lot and don't eat that well, so I have had my mid life crisis early and gone and bought a Fiat X19. Its MOT is up in a week so I have laid it ro rest pending re-wiring and a tad of welding, and a new radiator. I loved it for the week that I drove it and did several long journeys in it, but coming back to the BX, I realise what a good car it is. The X19 is ultimately involving and tactile, and will ultimately out handle a BX, but show a BX an undulating sliproad onto a motorway in the wet, and it would out-do the X19 in terms of safety and outright speed. On top of that its quieter and more civilised by a long stretch. It was quite interesting to compare two different cars with a similar size of engine. The BX's is ultimatly more refined and durable, but the Fiats gives the impression of power and speed due to the loud exhaust.

Ecconomy wise, the Fiat can travel up to 10MPH faster on the motorway for the same economy as the BX, and I think this is purely down to its low front cross sectional area. The BX felt like a balloon in comparison., but a pleasant one with purpose. So the plan is to use the BX to move house at the end of the month, then get the welding done on the BX, MOT it, use it in the restoration of the X19 in terms of getting to the X19, and then it will be for sale with around ten or 11 months MOT. I will be coming back to Citroens one day I am sure, but for now, I am planning to go the Italian way for a period.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: BX Back into service

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Dammit, I want both of your cars... One day, next year it seems i'll at least have 1 of the 2. Got any cheeky X1/9 photo's? They're designed by the same legend as the BX so i'm sure that's an argument in favour!

I quite like comparing similar engines cars, I once had a 14 and my current astra mk2 1.4. BX was nippier, noisier and less economical, but much better suspension and handling whereas the astra was more hesitant and more torquey, quieter, higher geared (for mtoorways etc) but worse suspension and handling. BX was supposed to produce 72 and the astra 75 bhp. It'd be interesting to compare a volvo 340 1.4, renault 19 1.4 and other similars.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Yes, it was indeed the same designer. You can see similar cue's to the two cars in terms of the angles used. As for Vauxhal's, I think Vauxhall had a nack for good gear ratio's to get the best out of a car in the real World. Citroen on the other hand gear their cars like their all going to be going on track days! Its in stark contrast to the lovely smooth ride. Well, to be honest thats the 1.4. A 17 TZD on the other hand is a different story, but even that could get away with a much higher 5th. Forgot the X19 pics. Here it is..

Needs work, but as for rust, its no worse than most Citroens I have owned. Its the electrics which let it down, and the paint job is with a spray can I think.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Next to his new X1/9 there was nothing Nigel liked more than . . . . adultery.

(That's quite cheeky) :D
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Looks good, not sure if i've seen a black one before? Nice angular dash, and i've always liked the back-to-front rev counter. Looks like it'll be very nice, paintwork does look a bit naff but you never know what a good polish can do! LIKE the wheels, and the half leather seats too. My personal favourite X1/9 would be one of the two tone editions (forgot the edition name) with a spoiler and wire-like spoked wheels with twin dellorto's and a twin exit exhaust :D

I wonder if you could swap a higher geared gearbox from a different TU14 engined car into the BX? It was a common engine in many cars, whether or not any of those variants will fit i'm not sure.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

The two tone ones are lovely. I would like it orange over grey.

Thats a good snippet there Paul, and that WOULD be cheeky. I had better divert the topic, BX, as I am in BX chat section though.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Don't worry about talking Fiats, we're not that strict! Forum conversations go off at tangents just the same as real life ones.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I had an X1/9 back in 1993... even then it was an electrical & rust filled nightmare. Oh, but i loved it so :) Ended up swapping it for a Mk3 Cortina GLX (before they were "cool").

Not wanting to be anal, but as i recall the X1/9 was a Bertone creation, whereas the BX was from the set-square of Gandini...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

mk3 GXL cortinas were always cool ive had 5 mk3's and the GXL was by far the best.
They even converted a later 2000 E to look like a GXL [twin round headlights instead of single rectangular ones ] for the tv series life on mars but I think that was to make it right for the age of the program.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Perhaps he's saying : Are you really sure you'll have time to perm my hair before tea?

Hairdresser transport of the curly perm vintage :mrgreen:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

JayW wrote: Not wanting to be anal, but as i recall the X1/9 was a Bertone creation, whereas the BX was from the set-square of Gandini...
It was a Bertone creation as you say. Marcello Gandini was working at Bertone at the time :) - where he produced the design for the BX, the Lambo Countach etc... :) and he did pen the Fiat.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v