Anything about BXs
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

New French driving laws.

Post by Defender110 »

I know the sat nav thing has been mentioned before but is everyone aware of the new breathalyser law

Navigation systems that warn of the location of speed camera's have been made illegal. This includes having one in the car even if it is not in use!

From July 1st 2012 it is mandatory to carry a minimum of one disposable single user breathalyser kit.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: New French driving laws.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's important to note the breath testers (I understood two needed to be carried?) need to carry the NF symbol. Nothing else will do. Just look on Amazon or check out Halfords...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

And when you do get yours note if they are like mine there is an Expiry Date!
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

they have also snook in a change in the law on high vis jackets. You must have them in the CABIN, ie each passenger must be able to put them on without anyone getting out of the car (ie you can't have one in the car, and three in the boot).

I thought you had to have TWO breathalysers? Either the electronic reusable ones or the chemical ones. Its an €11 fine every time they stop you because you don't have French plates. You've got hand it to the French, they know how to shaft foreigners.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

My mate was driving his truck through France a few years ago and a headlight bulb blew. So he replaced it with a spare from the spare bulb kit that is mandatory in most EU countries and carried on his way. 10 mins later the French rozzers pulled him for a routine check and asked to see his spare bulb kit ( you know what is coming next ), yup, they fined him €30 for not carrying a spare headlight bulb, despite plenty of remonstrating on my friends part. :cry:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Laws of utter stupidity, largely driven by funny handshakes. Of course it isn't a conflict of interests to have a chap from a breathalyser company helping make the decision!

You actually need THREE breathalysers. Like the bulb kit thing, if you decide to self-test yourself, you've used up one of the two you must legally carry and are now liable for a fine. It is entirely ridiculous.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote:You actually need THREE breathalysers. Like the bulb kit thing, if you decide to self-test yourself, you've used up one of the two you must legally carry and are now liable for a fine. It is entirely ridiculous.
No, that's why the recommendation is 2, you only legally have to carry one 'in-date' breathaliser but if you do self test you are liable to afine for no longer carrying a useable one.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

No worries for me using one - I don't drink!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

citsncycles wrote:No worries for me using one - I don't drink!
Neither do I - well I haven't for 7 days and don't intend to until I go on holiday mid-August. But who knows? I might 'keep going'... :) Feeling fine....
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Defender110 wrote: No, that's why the recommendation is 2, you only legally have to carry one 'in-date' breathaliser but if you do self test you are liable to afine for no longer carrying a useable one.
Correct. The law says you have to have one, so you need two in case you use one and then drive.
My mate was driving his truck through France a few years ago and a headlight bulb blew. So he replaced it with a spare from the spare bulb kit that is mandatory in most EU countries and carried on his way. 10 mins later the French rozzers pulled him for a routine check and asked to see his spare bulb kit ( you know what is coming next ), yup, they fined him €30 for not carrying a spare headlight bulb, despite plenty of remonstrating on my friends part
Bent copper or he's bullshitting... It's not compulsory to carry a spare bulb kit in France. Not carrying one means that if you're stopped for a dead light and can't fix it, you might have to walk home, but not carrying one's not an offence in itself.
they have also snook in a change in the law on high vis jackets. You must have them in the CABIN, ie each passenger must be able to put them on without anyone getting out of the car (ie you can't have one in the car, and three in the boot).
Partly right - yes the jacket has to be within reach so it can be put on before getting out of the car, but tha's not a recent change - it's been that way since the law came in. And it's jacket not jackets. In France there's only a requirement for one of them (I think it's different in Spain).
Its an €11 fine every time they stop you because you don't have French plates. You've got hand it to the French, they know how to shaft foreigners.
If you lived here and saw just how many Brits drive around for years on UK plates with no tax or MoT and either invalid UK insurance (because they've lied about where they live) or probably invalid French insurance (because they should have registered their cars here within a month) without being stopped, hassled or even noticed, you might modify that statement! Mostly having foreign plates is like an invisibility cloak - M. le Plod can't be bothered trying to communicate with a monoglot Rosbif and dealing with foreign paperwork. Serious speeding offences excepted of course - lots of Brits get done every year half an hour after getting off the ferry on their way to Le Mans...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

KevR wrote: And it's jacket not jackets. In France there's only a requirement for one of them (I think it's different in Spain)
My understanding was that while the law doesn't state you have to have one for each passenger, if you don't have one you can't get out of the car. But then there was another law stating that you MUST get out of the vehicle if it breaks down on the 'motorway', and thus you have to have one for each person?
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Vanny wrote:
KevR wrote: And it's jacket not jackets. In France there's only a requirement for one of them (I think it's different in Spain)
My understanding was that while the law doesn't state you have to have one for each passenger, if you don't have one you can't get out of the car. But then there was another law stating that you MUST get out of the vehicle if it breaks down on the 'motorway', and thus you have to have one for each person?
Since you're not allowed on the hard shoulder of a French motorway at all, wearing a yellow jacket doesn't change that. The advice from driving schools etc is that everyone should get out via the side nearest the barriers and immediately get on the other side of the barriers - ie no longer a danger to anyone or to themselves. One person can wear the yellow jacket while fixing the puncture or whatever. By law you also have to put your reflective triangle a minimum 30m back from the immbolised car - you have to do that not by walking along the hard shoulder, but by walking behind the barrier. However the companies that run the autoroutes advise against using the triangle on autoroutes because the danger in placing them outweighed the advantage in that situation. When that was batted back to the minister of transport he said drivers should 'use their common sense'.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

the breathalyser law is completely stupid.

Some French law makers have lost the plot here.

If you have had a drink, you know you have. And the French limit is lower than ours, so what's the tester for?

If people are drink driving, they are doing so knowingly, and having a £3 tester in the boot is not going to make any difference at all.

I have done many 1000s of miles in Mainland Europe and never been stopped by les rozzers.

I have heard that the French president had an interest in the company that makes the testers.
perhaps we could retaliate in the Uk and introduce a similar law so the French have to buy our breathalysers, which would have to be different from theirs because ours will be calibrated in pints.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

the breathalyser law is completely stupid.

Some French law makers have lost the plot here.

If you have had a drink, you know you have. And the French limit is lower than ours, so what's the tester for?

If people are drink driving, they are doing so knowingly, and having a £3 tester in the boot is not going to make any difference at all.

I have done many 1000s of miles in Mainland Europe and never been stopped by les rozzers.

I have heard that the French president had an interest in the company that makes the testers.
perhaps we could retaliate in the Uk and introduce a similar law so the French have to buy our breathalysers, which would have to be different from theirs because ours will be calibrated in pints.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It seems that this 'law' is not being enforced until March 1, and the legislation might be rescinded anyway. Common sense?!