I'm thinking of getting a BX..

Anything about BXs
Ralphead

I'm thinking of getting a BX..

Post by Ralphead »

Hello, I'm looking to get another car in a few weeks and I've always liked the BX so thought I'd have a snoop around and see what might be available.

I grew up with my dad having a GSA, several Dyanes and a left hand drive Arcadiane on French plates, he wore a beret while driving it... My second car was a Visa and third was nearly a BX but the insurance was ridiculous. I had an AX and wish I still did. I got a soft spot for Citroens I guess.

So anyway I'm going to be moving even further from work so a turbo diesel would be good. An estate with a towbar would be dead handy. It would be a good excuse to get rid of the Volvo, that thing's so boring that sometimes I feel like crashing it just to liven things up. It's rwd and has a turbo but you wouldn't know it.. My VW Corrado is small, loud, thirsty and too low to get over speed bumps, everything I love in a car, but I need something to lug stuff around and go camping with as well. I think a BX is where it's at, a late turbo diesel estate in a dark colour I rekon, though a 16v sounds fun..

I've got an early Diane sitting about waiting for its spanky new galvanised chassis, all it'll need then is a new body and running gear.. So if someone's interested in a project to exchange for a BX then let me know.
Volvo 940 turbo - thirsty
VW Corrado - quick
Vauxhall Viva coupe - project
Volvo Amazons - projects
Citroen Dyane 6 - awaiting love
Land Rover Defender 130 6.2 V8 - gearbox destroyer (the missus' car)
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: I'm thinking of getting a BX..

Post by Paul296 »

Bingo!! 8)

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll probably fetch solid money but well worth it if it's as good as it looks. (not an estate though, but hatches are still pretty cavernous with the rear seats down).
Ralphead

Post by Ralphead »

Yes bingo!

That I like. Shame I can't buy anything for a few weeks yet and I don't think a rusty Dyane will count as a bid..

I don't know why I said I wanted a late model, gadgets and wotnot don't excite me really, early and basic is good.
VW Corrado - quick
Volvo Amazons - projects
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oooh, an early Dyane you say? Oh. The wife would like to point out that I'm definitely not interested. Bother.

Don't rule out the non-turbo diesels. They're not brisk, but they're easily up to a 70-75mph cruise.
Ralphead

Post by Ralphead »

My better half despises French cars full stop. We had a 205 and an AX and her hatred of them makes me want a BX even more, that's quite wrong isn't it?

The Dyane, well. It hasn't driven in 15 years but has been undercover. The chassis is knackered, hence the new one but the bodywork isn't too bad I suppose. I have a 650 motor from a Visa to go in it but..
My dad's told me stories from back in the day of the Dyane he stuck a GS engine in to race XR2s.
That sounds fun, I'll go have a look at it over the weekend..
VW Corrado - quick
Volvo Amazons - projects
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've driven a GSA engined Dyane. Good grief was it fun! In a straight line...

Empties the tiny fuel tank in no time at all sadly.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Ken Hanna is currently planning to build an Ami Super chassis, so if a Dyane Sidewinder build is what you want to do then it may be worth giving him a call. Ami Super gearboxes are thin on the ground, but you can adapt the chassis to take a GS box, any GS engine will fit, and I've heard of people making adapters to allow the use of standard twin pot driveshafts instead of the hard to find Super units.

Alternatively you can go for a different engine all together - there at least one 2CV, as well as numerous Lomaxes etc. running BMW motorbike engines, and several kit cars also running Guzzi engines.

As for the BX - go for it! There's still enough around that you should find one that suits your needs, although certain models are definately thin on the ground now
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

citsncycles wrote: I've heard of people making adapters to allow the use of standard twin pot driveshafts instead of the hard to find Super units.
You've probably also heard of them twistign driveshafts every few weeks then... Not up to the extra torque/power.
citsncycles wrote:Alternatively you can go for a different engine all together - there at least one 2CV, as well as numerous Lomaxes etc. running BMW motorbike engines, and several kit cars also running Guzzi engines.
Same problem if you run the 2CV gearbox - it's not up to the extra power, so unless you don't actually use the power (in which case why bother), you need to keep a stock of spare gearboxes. I quite fancy one with a BMW R1100RS 4-valve engine though.
citsncycles wrote:As for the BX - go for it! There's still enough around that you should find one that suits your needs, although certain models are definately thin on the ground now
Agreed - BXs are a nice mix of practicality and rarity. I've done 1200 miles in my TZD estate in the last 5 days, towing a trailer (motorbike on the way to UK, 3-piece suite on the way back) and averaged 48mpg! Never missed a beat (although the clutch is definitely on the way out...). I much prefer the estates to the hatches - as well as the extra space, you get a lower loading height.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Ralphead

Post by Ralphead »

Wow I didn't realise the GS engine was such a well known thing. I don't know if I'll actually manage to do anything with the Dyane, that doubt sadly means I probably won't.. Although I like that you can just pick the engines up and move them around they're so light.

I've sworn that it won't sit around and deteriorate though so something will happen soon.

I am kind of sold on the BX plan. If I'm going to have a practical car it might as well be a bit interesting. The Volvo could have been but I've been told my boost twiddling antics will only get me in trouble, and they would..
VW Corrado - quick
Volvo Amazons - projects