Mirrors

Anything about BXs
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Mirrors

Post by Jaba »

I'm gonna ramble a bit here...............
Bought two electric mirrors a while back on ebay. Got round to fitting the RH one to the GTi last month. Looked smart but it didn't click out into the correct position, it stopped much too soon. Also the mirror responded the wrong way when adjusted on the switch.
There are two clues here which evaded me until I read someone's post recently about this very subject. Then I realised that I had fitted a LHD mirror to my UK car. Thanks ebayUK seller.
Never thought about the difference before but there clearly is one. You need the mirrors at different angles depending on which side of the car the driver is sitting.

There is more. While looking at my other BXs mirrors I noticed that they ALL had a convex mirror on the LH and a plain one on the RH, wtf ! Why had I not noticed all this before? I have driven over 500000 miles in BXs and not given the mirrors a thought.

Now I like and prefer convex mirrors you can see so much more in the mirror. So I will be on the lookout for some when I am in France in October.

There is still more. The new mirrors were not Britax. The glass was not held onto the electric interior gubbins with the locking tab on the lower side of the glass, it just clipped onto the innards with four plastic clips and had to be unclipped carefully at each of the four positions. And the heating element looked very substantial and was bonded onto the back of the mirror glass.
Once again I have not seen this before.

Bruddy her don't some people go on.................
Last edited by Jaba on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Mirrors

Post by mds141 »

In one of my Citroen accesseroire brochures it does show a convex replacement mirror glass as am accessory.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: Mirrors

Post by docchevron »

IIRC the passenger side mirror was convex and the drivers side flat plate.
The last one I bought for the valver from GSF (a while ago now) moved arse about face on the switch (all positions transposed) he heating element was epic but didn't work and it seemed to be a cheap pattern part, certainly not a Britax.
The other ballache being LHD and RHD mirrors dont appear to have any marking on them to denote which they are..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...