The GT takes a thump #%!!%%#!

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

The GT takes a thump #%!!%%#!

Post by B-Hive »

So it was wet today, and on the way home from Tech I decided that the pup needed some food..

That decision placed me but 50 metres from home when someone backed out of their drive without looking..

No time to react, on-coming lane busy.....slide ...thump.....tinkle.....stop.

From the impact I was pretty sure that was game over for the GT, but after securing (very willing) witnesses, and getting offender's details, I investigate the damage and think it is repairable (economically speaking).

The third party has no insurance but as he lives just 6 doors down from me, and he drives a $12K Golf, and in conversation I discovered where he works, I think some arrangement can be come to.

No one hurt is always good, $6k camera gear aboard unscathed,, also very good
Car still drives... goodness too

Its too cold outside ATM to investigate the damage to see if its more than skin deep,, but what I do know

*Bumper cactus
*Indicator smashed
*LHF wing leading edge very bent
*Headlight mount pins and locating holes bent

Passenger door opens and closes as it should =D>

Not 100% sure but thinking my TPP insurance covers me up to $3000 for uninsured parties at fault...so perhaps a good fall back position [-o<

So assuming all is straight under the rubble I'll need to start to source parts..

Like......

*Bumper maybe able to be plastic welded,, if not I'll need one of those
*Indicator for sure
*A good panel beater will be able to reclaim the wing, but probably a bit costly to do so ..so will need one of those..(hens teeth comes to mind)
* Little things like bumper mounting brackets/hardware (which I'm sure I left in pieces on the roadside)

Despite the beautiful relatively original condition of the my new TRS, the GT is far and away my favourite BX drive.. but it has kind of done it rough the last 12 months and now is realistically positioned to be retired pending a stem to stern overhaul..BUT will I find the time and funds to do an overhaul?.. not fond of the mint green original paintwork I dont think i'll ever repaint it that colour ...Gotta say I LOVED the metallic grey of Dickies GT, and I am flirting with the idea of a pro paint job... but flirting usually goes no where.. plus the dash panel will never be original unless I luck upon a replacement for my faux fur wrapped offering...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: The GT takes a thump #%!!%%#!

Post by Tim Leech »

Damn, main thing is you are ok!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Tim Leech wrote:Damn, main thing is you are ok!
Shaken ...not stirred Tim
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if the police now who the uninsured driver is of car involved in an accident that was there fault,

you can claim off the governments uninsured loses unsurance,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citronut wrote:if the police know who the uninsured driver is of car involved in an accident that was there fault,

you can claim off the governments uninsured loses unsurance,

regards malcolm

We have a different system over here Malcolm..

Compulsary Third Party Person (covers injury)
Optional Third Party Property
Optional Comprehensive..

No Government Uninsured Losses system..

Just had a better look at the damage and unfortunately it does go further than just skin deep.

I don't want to pull it apart until I have it properly assessed but it appears that the metal work that supports the wing at the front is bent too, and as such will need a pull to be straightened :x
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would be reporting the scumbag if he's running with no insurance never mind trying to solve this without going throught the insurance. This is why our insurance is so high in the first place we are subsidising w-ankers like this! :evil:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

can you post some picy's

quite often the front end of the inner wings and head lamp mount panel can be knocked out relatively easily

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm not sure I understand the insurance situation here. You say "Compulsory third party insurance" and "He drives a $12k VW so surely you're covered.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I'm not sure I understand the insurance situation here. You say "Compulsory third party insurance" and "He drives a $12k VW so surely you're covered.
Compulsory Third Party, or CTP as it is known, covers the insured for only injury caused to another person. This forms (the most expensive) part of our registration process.

Third Party Property is optional and relatively inexpensive and covers the insured for damage to other persons property (ie cars, houses, buildings etc). Without this type of cover the driver takes the risk of running into and damaging something expensive and having to pay up out of his own pocket for any repairs,

The guy who caused this accident was very lucky he didn't back out onto say a Porsche or that Ferrari that lives around the corner.. He'd be paying it off for life.. My damage bill will probably be $2000-$2500.. So expensive lesson for him, but it could have been much worse..

Good news however that my insurance for Third Party Property includes bonus cover to pay for towing and damage to my car if caused by an uninsured driver...BINGO..so guessing they'll pay me then go after this guy themselves.. =D>

So here's hoping that all pans out smoothly.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Ah I get how it works! Took me a while to recall your across the ditch on the west island :lol: Depends onn which state you are in regrds the insurance situation correct?

Over on the main islands :mrgreen: Insurance is not compulsory :shock: But third party insurances have a clause where if you get the other drivers details and they admit liability (yea right) then you can claim on your own insurance and the insurance hunts them down to pay. Never bothered with third party as the saving is literally a few dollars however the good ole AA have this crazy discount system where I actually found Third party Fire and Theft more expensive than comprehensive :?

Hope you do not have the vehicle written off.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Not sure im keen on that set up but then again theres too many uninsured drivers over here! Dont let them right it off!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

I'll have a look at my GT to see what I have parts wise next time I'm over there.

Glad you're okay!

Cheers,
Chris
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citronut wrote:can you post some picy's

quite often the front end of the inner wings and head lamp mount panel can be knocked out relatively easily

regards malcolm
I tried to post some pix but the attachment button has disappeared for some reason...just the silly img option .. I can never remember how to do that, or my photo bucket details

And thanx Chris any "local" parts that I can source would be great
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

See gallery for recent pix.. very sad..

So few GTs left ..my favourite car ever, despite her recent wear n tear...passion, comfort and attitude..

Decided that I will store her for future, I will not see her cubed under my ownership...

Residuals really play havoc on these cars..When (if I was really patient) I could pick up another one up for next to nothing (or make a good offer on someones car), compared to shelling out out for the body work required on my example...BUT then even with a straight body would maybe not have the interior nor the mechanical prowess of mine.. same outcome $$$..all comes down to sound financial decisions ...NOT!!

Thinking it would have been easier if GT had been written off absmoluletly ...no question of a fix..would have made my decision easier..no options
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

She will be once more!!

Having received a nice cheque from the insurance company, I have set about the repairs, and yes, you were all correct as the repair is feasible and relatively economical.

Wing is off and I think I should be able to straighten it out. The foam strip that wraps around the middle will form a perfect template for where things should be. Bumper is "resetting" itself, and now all it needs is some plastic welding for the break. Indicators will arrive as soon as I sort out being sent (to Mat F) two left hand indicators..

First body shop I tried, told me of the voodoo in repairing Citroens, (because as we all know they use martian metals) and point blank rejected the job however then I found a friendly local body shop who will do the main pull for a fair price., I did contemplate (for a brief moment) the tree and chain method as was suggested here, but this body shop confirmed that it wasn't a directly straight pull.

So positive progress.. :)
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone