A Quandry AKA I want a T/D

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

A Quandry AKA I want a T/D

Post by Tim Leech »

I went to look at a possible Ecosse Challenge candidate yesterday (DTR estate) which turned out to be scrap fodder sadly, so my thoughs are what to do, ive booked the time off next year etc so just need a car now.

So I need a turbo Diesel, hatch or estate, im looking to buy one cheap and spend the next 6 months readying it, shell condition is important but not the cosmetics or mechanicals (within reason), colour and model also doesnt matter.

There is a DTR tubo hatch in Derby which would be ideal but the vendor seems rather loathed to part with it! :wink:

I could use one of my 4, but the only diesel on I have I woldnt want to use and is rather pedestrian! :wink:
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Re: A Quandry

Post by mds141 »

Personally I'd take the DTR Tim. We won't be setting any land speed records up in Scotland. Some of the highland roads are quite challenging, so a steady plodder will be just fine and we won't be climbing to the same kind of altitudes we did on the Classic Challenge. Personally I think it would do the DTR good to have a good run out. Nice turbo diesels are, as you know, thin on the ground and you could end up spending a small fortune turning one around. Or you could just buy a XM 2.5 td estate, plenty of sleeping accommodation in the back of one of those. Take the DTR mate, you'll enjoy it. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm with Mark on this one. I did the BXagon in an NA diesel and it did struggle with some of the steel climbs. I've taken the same BX around Scotland (and my 2CV for that matter) and it's much easier. Would be great to have some Mk1s on the trip.

Mind you, knowing what I'm like, my TXD Turbo could quite easily be on the market by next June!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks for the input, I wont use the Mk1 DTR (I would rather use the GT), ive spent far too much on the cosmetics to want to do that on it, plus with 65bhp its proper slow, and would drive me mad, like it did in the TZD in France.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What about WTF? Can't remember if that's an auto or not but if it's a manual your consumption won't be much less than mine. Plus cheaper fuel per litre!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The savings you'll make in fuel costs with a diesel will be more than lost with the purchasing and getting up-together of a new car, so I'd take a petrol (the GT.....it's the best one to drive).

Or take the DTR. It's not exactly going to be a fast run and if you can't keep up you're driving wrong.

Personally I'd stop being so precious mate....cars are there to be driven and enjoyed. :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

My TZD turbo will be up on ebay very soon. There are various pictures of it in the gallery. It has done a 190,000 miles. Hopefully it will have a fresh 12 months MOT. The list of things that have been done is quite long.

Cambelt, Tensioners and waterpump recently changed. Less than 20,000 miles ago.
rear arm bearings done a couple of months ago.
Front to rear hydraulic pipes changed.
Two new driveshafts.
New boost compensator.

Plus other things that I can't remember at present.

Graham
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The TRS is a 1.6 manual, regarding being precious, I do use the DTR, but its a plodder and nice to use for steady runs and on motorways it sits at 75 all day long, ive never actually owned a TD for more than a week or so so quite fancy one, ive driven one but never had one to use.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Kitch wrote:The savings you'll make in fuel costs with a diesel will be more than lost with the purchasing and getting up-together of a new car, so I'd take a petrol.

It's not exactly going to be a fast run
..that_

Unless you find something suitable you can make money on, if you have to use a lot of professional labour you'll lose out financially as I doubt it's going to be more than 1000 miles in total.

In the far North a lot of the roads are single track anyway, so your speed is limited by how much you can see in clear rather than the performance of your car.

But up to you in the end, whatever gives you most pleasure.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:The TRS is a 1.6 manual, regarding being precious, I do use the DTR, but its a plodder and nice to use for steady runs and on motorways it sits at 75 all day long, ive never actually owned a TD for more than a week or so so quite fancy one, ive driven one but never had one to use.
75mph not fast enough then? Have you seen the majority of BXers. Speed isn't a consideration - the most popular model is a diesel!

Like I said mate, GT. I know my Dad's averages 35-40mpg if you're being kind on a run and it'll keep up easily. It's also nicer to drive than a diesel, so assume yours is the same.

I plan on doing this too, and will likely take the 16v but I might be able to swing the GT once it's had it's resto.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tim, take the GT (and Kitch too if you can!). It deserves to be used. It performed well in France when we went to the conservatoire a couple of years ago. I'd even go far as to say, the GT would benefit from some patina/weathering gained from use now you've got the DTR as a showcase.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I understand your points chaps, I just fancy a new project now the DTR is done pretty much, and I really, really want a TD!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I can't believe you don't want to usethe DTR, now you have it finished it is time to enjoy! I wouldn't hesitate in using my TGD Auto for this. That's not a commitment BTW, I can't commit to anything next year yet.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I do use the DTR, quite a bit! but I want a Mk2 TD, as after going in Pauls Hurricane........
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D Buy a nice cheap petrol hatch with a good body and do a dtr conversion to it
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!