Beyond the BX?

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Re: Beyond the BX?

Post by toddao »

Thanks for all the excellent advice fellas.. I'll report in as soon as I've scored a suitable wagon. I'm sure it will be in need of some fettling as I've given myself a ceiling of €500 plus a few weeks fiddling before the next kid comes after Christmas.
As I said, it's got to be local and recoverable, no trailers possible as the trailer that I always used from the local hire shop has been replaced with one that's twice as heavy and I don't have a vehicle to pull it with a car on it.

I'll try to make it as practical and perverse as possible!

Ok, I'll take an MPV then!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Hey Todd, have you considered an ex NATO armoured personnel carrier. Plenty of room inside for a growing brood and very good impact protection. Oh and if you can't find a parking space at your local Aldi you can just make your own. ;-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

In the unlikely event of me having three kinder to transport around I know I would find it very difficult to part with my BX's.

My solution might therefore be to have a boring practical family car, as others have done, perhaps it could be designated wife's car and I would then keep the fun car(s) for all my journeys without 3 children together.

But then the BXs are not going to last forever. I will have to go into rehab when mine can no longer do the job reliably. I hate most modern euroboxes quite a lot.

I mention all this Todd to let you know that none of us as well as you really want to know about life beyond the BX as we regard other tin as beneath the BX not beyond it.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Jaba wrote
I mention all this Todd to let you know that none of us as well as you really want to know about life beyond the BX as we regard other tin as beneath the BX not beyond it.
^^bx> =D> Well said that man!

Yes, I wish the BX would just stretch that little bit further to accommodate one more but currently in the back between the two baby seats is about 40 cm of space - not enough for another unwieldy lump of plastic seat. Perhaps when the grandchildren start popping out you too might have to re-think John? :wink: ( great new avatar by the way, is that a typical scene from your everyday life?)

Mark, the armoured personnal carrier is something I hadn't considered . I could dress up like Monty, tuck my jumper into my trousers and give the Hun what for!
Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Shame that this is in the UK, from your point of view... although maybe it's a little over-priced? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-PEUGEOT- ... 0751684048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Massive want, that's lovely
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Rather nice! Very elegant advertisment too.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, that would be just the job, bloody nice, and - as mentioned by Tom - a good advert suggesting a good car. The price actually seems about right to me for such a well looked after example. What a huge load space!

I found a 505 'here' ( well, 700kms away) ex-Portugal with A/C also 1991 but the 2.5 litre diesel engine would be taxed at.. wait for it...

€1000 per year!! That's why I'm sniffing around in the early 80s to take advantage of the thirty year 'old-timer' tax break without much success.
Todd

maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Hi Todd,

I hear you! We recently got a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 7-seater. Although quite comfortable, fast, economical, enough toys, decent stereo, it is NOOOO fun whatsoever. Jean agrees. Luckily we still have the Saab, now restored on the bodywork, which is great and full of character, and i have a poorly 16 BX which i love and hope to resurrect hopefully fairly cheaply in the not too distant. The GTi had to go unfortunately for space and money.

That Peugeot 505 estate looks great (is that the same 2.5 engine as the CX?) , but we have the same tax situation here - €1005 for a 2.5, and cheap for 30 years old+

So i've been through the same dilemma in my mind, we need 7 seats for Jean's school and pickups and stuff, we were thinking about mercs and the volvo D5 - 2.4L but opted for modernity, economy and forward facing seats in the end. We're already talking about whether there are any other options!

That Renault 21 dash it great, i like the R5 dash too, they had a thing going on in france in that era. Seeing a couple of early 90s Espaces around, they look really cool now, like them in red.

the CX would be great but hard to get a really good one without paying 1000s. And parts.... And finding a pre 1983 one...

We drove a Grand Picasso. Jean hated it cos its a big people carrier, but i actually liked it, pretty quirky with the dash, big expansive windscreen and strange automatic gearbox. It's like a completely different driving situation, though, would take some getting used to, mainly cos of the gearbox, but i liked it overall. Of course they're not supposed to be very well made, plastic bits falling off, and i hear the later gearboxes are much better than earlier ones, but there are loads around, here anyway, can probably pick them up for reasonable money and sell on without massive depreciation for 3-5 year old one, and would i be right in thinking with it being modern, tax would be based on co2 emissions? it is here anyway, €2 or 300 for the 1.6HDi i think. 60mpg too.

Good luck!

A difficult decision...
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Max wrote
We recently got a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 7-seater.
:shock: Get rid. Pretend it never happened. :wink:

and, more sensibly

That Renault 21 dash is great, i like the R5 dash too, they had a thing going on in france in that era. Seeing a couple of early 90s Espaces around, they look really cool now, like them in red.
That dash was only available on the R 21 TXE 'Electronic' saloon, it was a bit of a toned down version of THIS and THIS.
Todd

maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

:) it happens every day and there is a hole in my life. the 505 takes 23 secs 0-60 according to some spec i was reading and the fuel consumption isn't great. :(

theres a Renault 21 turbo 1991 been sitting in a drive in Dublin for a while, looks in good nick, i'll have to enquire. i wonder how hard it would be to work on / get parts for.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon