New BX owner

Anything about BXs
jamescarruthers
BXpert

New BX owner

Post by jamescarruthers »

Hello everyone,

I thought it was about time I introduced myself— I've been bashing the search function on here for a few weeks with my new BX but now I have a few questions and need some actual help with a few things.

I've bought the Olympic Blue BX14 TGE from vnd on here. I understand it changed hands quite a bit recently which made me worried but actually it is a great car and wearing its age and miles her well. I've done a few thousand miles in her. Due to changed circumstances I've just sold two near immaculated Volvo 480s but still wanted something interesting so a BX fit the bill at a much reduced price. On the very rare occasion 480s passed drivers would wave and flip the lights up and down. I was really pleased that on day two of ownership a green BX waved hello at me on the A14. I was sad to loose the 480s but this made me realise I've made a good choice in the BX!

I took her to Pielades for a check up of the suspension. Turns out it had Xantia front spheres on the rear making it very hilariously bouncy at the back and BX16 front spheres at the front. Now wearing all new spheres; but took the guys advise and kept BX16 fronts at the front as I is supposed to be more comfortable. The only unexpected expense in this trip was that a suspected flat accumulator was actually a knackered regulator. That's replaced to and now it rides okay.

I say "okay" because there must be a few other (non-hydraulic) bits that are tired to it is a bit loose and occasionally knocky on bumps. For now though its a massive improvement and tick time is in minutes not 2 seconds!

My main use of this forum was to find how to replace the dash and heater bulbs (done). Bad news: dash must have been levered off by some ham-fisted **** at some point because the top of the binacle just rests on the top and rattles, along with the oddonents tray (where the clock blank is) which was also ripped out :-/

I've seen grey and black dashboards— Are these the only colours? If I post asking for grey will I get the right colour or are there different shades? Same sort if question for the cloth interior: it's kinda dark grey with (I think) red bits in but if I know the name it'd be easier to get a new seat back rest (terrible repair job).

The heater controls bear no relation to what actually comes out of the vents. I guess I should post a separate post on this issue and hope to get some help from you guys. I have illumination now but the fan went from working to intermittent to inoperative after the bulb replacement!

As a result I was driving along misty windows in the morning and had a small bump. Entirely my fault but I now need a l/h rear cluster (dark type) desperately. The bumper is the wrong colour so I hoped to change it anyway but now it's got a small split in be corner I think I will move its replacement up the list a few places. I'll post in the parts section for this.

I think that's it for introductions really; I'm loosing the will to type now so will post detailed heater and parts questions later. I've took a pic of the part I think isn't moving so that should help.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: New BX owner

Post by Mickey taker »

post a pic of the rear light cluster , I have a couple of spares
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi James and welcome to the BXC.
Mickey taker wrote:post a pic of the rear light cluster , I have a couple of spares
Hi Suggs :wink:
I've just sent James a PM with options as the current set which are fitted are different 'Tints' !

I have an Identical N/S/R lamp assembly as fitted to your 14 TGE (Taken from the VND F/S thread) its a 'Blue/Grey - Tint' lens :-

However looking @ your other side (O/S/R) it has a 'Salmon Pink -Tinted' lens assy. fitted :-

Which Tints have you available 'Micky' ?

:)

Last edited by RxBX on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi James

Im sure I know of a correct coloured rear bumper for this car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Hi James, nice BX that - didn't you originally buy the red BX 16 TRS off me? I always hoped you'd keep that one!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Which Tints have you available 'Micky' ?

:)

.[/quote]

I have two nearside smoked ones look like the offside one on the car
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Mickey: I have purchased two matching blue tints from Richard (rxbx). Thank you for the offer though, it's much appreciated.

Rich: thanks for the lights. I imagine they are in the post as I type!

Graeme: hello again. That was me, yes! Man, I miss that car so much, it was brilliant but I had to sell it as I was out of work how ever many years ago that was. I've sent you a PM!

Tim: I'm interested in the bumper, it'd tidy the back end up nicely. Could you let me know if it is available, and for how much and where it is? I'm in Cambridge but will be driving to Newcastle for Christmas so might be able to pick up en route if the price is right.
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Blue tinted one's, those are mega rare & will really match the car well :)

Richard, don't suppose you've got any more (blue one's) available?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

jamescarruthers wrote:Tim: I'm interested in the bumper, it'd tidy the back end up nicely. Could you let me know if it is available, and for how much and where it is? I'm in Cambridge but will be driving to Newcastle for Christmas so might be able to pick up en route if the price is right.

Hi James

It belonges to ian Fearn who was a member on here (see his post about gorgeous TZD), I have emailed him but he hasnt replied so I imagine he is away.

It wasnt perfect but wasnt in bad nick.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Thank you Tim. I have sent him a PM and await a response.
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E