Value of a highly appropriate number plate.

Anything about BXs
peterwight
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Audi A4 Quattro (1998)

Value of a highly appropriate number plate.

Post by peterwight »

BXi 19. If and when I sell my valver, which has this reg, I wonder how much of the asking price would be represented by the number. All estimates welcome.Ta,Peter
A BX fan since buying a 1983 1.6 in 1987 and subsequently a 1.9GTi, three 16valvers and a diesel Meteor. Their deaths have us done parted, save for one 16V sold for restoration, hopefully underway.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Value of a highly appropriate number plate.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

These days it's whatever someone is willing to pay. Given it's most appropriate for a BX (and we're not talking expensive/valuable cars here) I would't have thought you'd find someone willing to pay more than a couple of hundred tops... but that's my opinion. You might find someone whose initials are BXI and for whom 19 is an significant number :) In which case they might pay more and stick it on their X5.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Like many a number, worth more on the car, perhaps.

I have TBM 911. Great number you would think. No one has made a sensible offer over the years. Its probably worth less now DVLA sells numbers. One day I might have a 911, in which case on it goes and up goes the price of the car with a realistic chance of getting it. The new owner can pretend to be TBM, or he can trade it in for a more appropriate number. I have done this before.

I have never bought a number though. I've never seen the value in something you do not own, but lease, with a chance of loosing it, and a chance of being recognized, where you want to be anonymous. Then again as I do not show cars, I do not gain that benefit. Leo, or someone, would and it just underlines the effort put it. It looks a narrow market though.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have two plates on my BX's, TAL 91S which was £600 and C1 TBX which was £1000 (both about 3 years ago),
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

I remember seeing H1SBX on a Citroen main dealers car, as H1S BX , later put on one of their relay vans, guess it was in 1990.
it's not on anything now though could be on retention? Regtransfers sell numbers on comission, offered me £350 advertised at £750 for R3 DKC, got no takers though!!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I've got "G 16V BX" on my '90 Valver that I paid £720 for about 10 years ago. Currently worthless sat on a car that's only done miles on a trailer over the past 7 or so years...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

As highlighted by Jay, the car must have a current MOT and be taxed or sorned within the last 12 months.

A mate of mine buys high end performance cars for a living, and has purchased a Daytona that's been off the road for 25 years and is in need of a complete restoration (at the cost of £200,000), the plate on that is 63L! which is worth probably 50k but as the car needs MOT for it to come off.....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I thought you could get it off by exporting the car?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Not as far as I know.
peterwight
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Audi A4 Quattro (1998)

Post by peterwight »

As usual, good and helpful replies have been posted to my question about my registration number,from which I gather that the monetary value of a number is as unpredictable to amateurs as to the commercial brokers of such things. Also, I’m reminded by Thread Bear that a personalised plate will rob you of privacy. If you are somewhere that you’d prefer to keep secret, the damn car will announce your presence. I was saved from this some years ago by other people keen to bid for certain numbers. It was the first day of the “W” prefix and I wanted W1 GHT. However the ‘phone line to DVLA was engaged continuously, so I was saved both the vanity and the expense.
Regarding BXi 19, I believe that the man from whom I bought the car had hoped to get more money out of me (because of the number): after paying him and waving goodbye, I discovered a general lack of light bulbs throughout the lamps.
Reg no.s have value, as P Chidlow points out, if they are somebody’s initials. I must speak to my young friend Bernard Xavier Iniesto on this matter, before he turns 20.
Again, thanks to all. PW
A BX fan since buying a 1983 1.6 in 1987 and subsequently a 1.9GTi, three 16valvers and a diesel Meteor. Their deaths have us done parted, save for one 16V sold for restoration, hopefully underway.
mark239
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mark239 »

Bxi 19 is a two digit ni plate from county Antrim, in the 1980s I think. Two digit plates currently go for around 150-400 quid here in NI. people tend to get them because they feel it "sets the car off" somehow!