New BX owner

Anything about BXs
alexrossmartin

New BX owner

Post by alexrossmartin »

Hi everyone,

I have recently got my first BX, a white 19TGD.

It used to have the plate "BX 1700", so I believe it may have belonged to someone on here.

I bought it as a Cat C, it has been inspected by VOSA and is now being daily driven.

Hopefully I can get in touch with the PO, as I am missing the service history particularly when/if the last cam belt was done.

Anyway I have a couple of maintenance issues to be getting on with first off all:

*speedo doesn't work.

*some clock set bulbs are burned out (possible LED upgrade?)

* suspension problem, will to go up once warm.

*probably related to the above; faulty PAS.

* idle always at 1100rpm, I can't say this is definitely a problem since I'm un familiar with these old diesels, perhaps it's normal. Just seems a little much to me.

* lack of stereo.

* collapsing parcel shelf, due to broken supports.

You're probably thinking that all sounds well and good, which it does but then comes the bad news:

I am very involved in the modified water-cooled Volkswagen scene, particularly mk2s, so ALOT of my tastes come from there. Meaning one thing, I like lows and lots of them.

That was the think that drew me to the BX in the first place, how low it goes on factory suspension.

I was rather disappointed when I realised there was no way I could drive it on the lowest setting.

Therefore a lot of what I'm planning involves getting to the point where the car is driveable at pretty much the same height as the factory lowest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: New BX owner

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Alex

Glad you found us, Chris Abbott is the previous owner of the car, there's a few threads on here regarding it.

So pleased it's back on the road.

The suspension issues are t uncommon and should be easily rectified.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Welcome. Not much idea about lowering suspension for that effect. I can see why you thought a BX might do this but the notion of limited suspension movement is somewhat against Citroen's idea of suspension. Be interested to see how that turns out.
I have alway set my tickover low, at least under 800 rpm. Might be that its on a fast idle to keep the suspension up as there is an issue.

However we have a case of serious sheds in this picture. I struggle not to be distracted.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

Tim Leech wrote:Hi Alex

Glad you found us, Chris Abbott is the previous owner of the car, there's a few threads on here regarding it.

So pleased it's back on the road.

The suspension issues are t uncommon and should be easily rectified.
I had briefly noticed it whilst google searching before but rashly assumed it was now defunct, I'm glad to find out otherwise.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping. I've got bought a second BX, albeit without an engine to scavenge any parts from.

I'm finishing up exams this week, so after that it'll be full steam ahead to fix any issues.

Now that I read up on the cause of its write-off, there's a clunk coming from the drivers side wheel which I assumed was probably just a dodgy CV joint, but could be something more.

Thread Bear wrote:Welcome. Not much idea about lowering suspension for that effect. I can see why you thought a BX might do this but the notion of limited suspension movement is somewhat against Citroen's idea of suspension. Be interested to see how that turns out.
I have alway set my tickover low, at least under 800 rpm. Might be that its on a fast idle to keep the suspension up as there is an issue.

However we have a case of serious sheds in this picture. I struggle not to be distracted.

I don't think it should be difficult, a combination of increasing travel at lower ride height settings and (God forbid) increasing suspension stiffness to make sure it doesn't bottom out. I believe the easiest way to accomplish the first bit will be to space the front strut top mounts upwards and mount them on the top of the strut tower. However I have yet to figure out the best way to get the same effect in the rear.

A quick question, if I may. If I hold the ride height lever between the 1st and 2nd positions, will the result be a height between the two or just whichever of the settings I was closest to?

I would have tried it already, but since my suspension doesn't quite function properly, I wasn't sure if I'd get acurate results.

Aha, that could be it then. I'll try setting it lower and see what happens.

Ah yes, I rather like that photo, it's one of my better ones.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

You could of course cut another notch in the ride heigh controller, be warned the ride will be pretty crap!
Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Low Expectations »

You can get it to scrape the tarmac. Either channel the body (not easy) or put another notch in the height selector. Mines had both and rides very nice.
Last edited by Low Expectations on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Damned if i can remember how to post a picture :evil: I'll try again for you.
Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Managed it i think.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I saw this baby Sunday, what a car! Can you believe there is a BX 16TRS under that!
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

Low Expectations wrote:You can get it to scrape the tarmac. Either channel the body (not easy) or put another notch in the height selector. Mines had both and rides very nice.
Awesome! I'll put another notch in the selector tonight. What do you mean by channelling the body? Chassis notch? My mk2 jetta is on air suspension, and has notches for driveshaft clearance as well as flipped tie rods.

Is there any chance you could send me some pics of the modifications you've done?

Low Expectations wrote:Managed it i think.
Are you serious?! If that is actually your car its awesome!

Tim Leech wrote:I saw this baby Sunday, what a car! Can you believe there is a BX 16TRS under that!

Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Hi. Body channeling is normally done on old cars with a chassis, the floor of the body is cut all round, then the body is lowered over the chassis and new floors made to suit.
I'm afraid i don't have any build pics (i didn't build it).
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

Aha, it's body dropped then. I don't think I would go to those extremes, I'm fairly confident I can get it low enough without that.

I would like to figure out if there's anyway to make the suspension stiffer though.

Am I correct in saying the suspension spheres can be re-gassed and if they were at a higher pressure that would result in stiffer suspension?

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Having a Citroen with stuff suspension kinda defeats the object!
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

Tim Leech wrote:Having a Citroen with stuff suspension kinda defeats the object!
I was expecting that reaction! But I'd rather sacrifice a bit of the comfort, and prevent it from bottoming out as often once it's at a height I like.

The comfortable-ness of the seats more than makes up for a harsher ride anyway.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A good starting point might be the spheres from a BX 16v, as these will be firmest as standard. This thread gives a bit more information on the different types, although looking at them from the complete opposite point of view!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad