Password requirement

Anything about BXs
jeremy
Over 2k

Password requirement

Post by jeremy »

I've been asked for my password whenever I log in and I don't think I'm alone.

For some reason the entry in my favorites was showing a 'Google' icon and the words forum index or something were missing. Re-making the index page my favorite solved the problem.

jeremy
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I've had that problem too.I had to log in and tick the little box 2 or 3 times and eveything went alright again.Apparrently Jon is doing work updating things so we can expect minor problems from time to time until he is finished,I suppose
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Worse things happen at sea!
Vauxhall apologist.
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Re: Password requirement

Post by Terry Brooks »

jeremy wrote:I've been asked for my password whenever I log in and I don't think I'm alone.

jeremy
It keeps asking me for my paasswrd too.
Terry
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

cavmad wrote:Worse things happen at sea!
Oh, don't say that. :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Re: Password requirement

Post by Gareth Wales »

Re-making the index page my favorite solved the problem.

Jeremy - how did you do that?
Gareth
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

ken newbold wrote:
cavmad wrote:Worse things happen at sea!
Oh, don't say that. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

entering password etc is no problem Jon, its just that I and others hadn't realised changes had been made.
Very many thanks for all your work on our behalf.
Gareth
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonkw wrote:As regards the old "I have to login in twice" issue, Its also not browser specific, please post your browser type (IE6, Opera, Firefox etc) in this thread, tell me if you have a Pop Up blocker installed, and whether you can login first time if you hold the Cntl key down as you click enter.
This problem isn't even Operating system specific: I've experienced it with all of the below.

Windows 98 and XP
Slackware V9.1 and V10.0
Suse
Debian

And with all of the following browsers:

Internet exploder 5.0 and 6.0 (Windows 98 and XP)
Firefox (both on Winblows and GNU/Linux)
Mozilla (GNU/Linux)
Opera (Win)
K-meleon (win)
Konqueror (GNU/Linux)
Netscape (both Win and GNU/Linux)

Whilst I don't have a specific "pop up blocker" installed, none of the GNU/Linux based browsers are even able to pop a window up that you haven't requested, so I don't know if that's relevant.

The only browser I've used that doesn't suffer from the "sign in twice" issue is Links, which is a Text-only browser that operates in a non-graphical environment (from the command line), under Slackware GNU/Linux.

Any help at all?
this might be a signature
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I'm a Firefox convert and I don't have to log in twice. It remembers my P/W and I just click on the box at the bottom of the forum, then straight in :roll:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I am still having problems with havin to login twice and always being asked for my password despite clicking the remember me tab, I am running windows XP Home with service pack 2 with its firewall switched on I am running IE 6 with popup blocker switched on and NTL Netguard version 5.2.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Jon.

Yes, I do run the CXclub forum from a linux box. Its Slack 10.1 running on a P1 75mhz with just 8mb ram :shock: (and actually, this box serves about 5 other websites too. I paid £1 for it.)

The PHPBB software is version 2.0.19, and it's tied into a current version (not quite sure which) of MySQL. Webserving is of course managed by Apache, version 1.3.33

I have a feeling that your problem isn't a corrupt file, probably something like a cookie problem, since it is highly repeatable. A corrupt file would give a random number of attempts before it worked, wheras a cookie problem may be something like it being set on the first try, but not with the correct data. Dunno really, as this is getting beyond me!

The cookie theory is plausable, as Links (the text based browser) handles it's cookies very differently from graphical browsers. I will have to ask a friend of mine who actually understands this!

One thing that might make a big difference.... is BXclub hosted on a dedicated server, or is it shared (and do you have physical access to the server?)
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Jon,

I don't know whether this gives you any clues but I found a temporary way around the problems mentioned, all of which I encountered since first becoming a member.

It doesn't sort "remember me" but if you enter via my messages and complete the sign in there, when you go to the forum index that way then the new posts are highlighted and the pond is there too. This route I have found highly reliable and eliminates the hit&miss of the conventional route.
1991 BX19GTi Auto