BX Diesel Auto

Anything about BXs
sleepy0905
1K Away

BX Diesel Auto

Post by sleepy0905 »

Right folks i am after info how common are Diesel auto`s the reason i am asking as i am struggling with the fuel consumption of this TZS Auto especially after owning a diesel for so long before like i have just gone through about £20-£25 worth of fuel to do 140 miles now i am wondering whether to keep it or try and get a diesel Auto that way i have the economy i am used to and an auto box so i can drive it without problem`s Now nothing is set in stone i am only trying ideas at the moment. the Auto choke doesn`t help either.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I thought you might Sleepy, petrol is only good in lawnmowers :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Dont get me wrong the car drives lovely but on my limited income i do need a diesel so i am looking out and asking round because if a diesel auto is going to be hard to find then i will have to stick with the TZS but if they are available for sensible money then i will sell the TZS Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Have you made sure its running right sleepy? Maybe a carb conversion would help as the auto chockes have a tendency to stick!

140miles on £20 is averaging 35mpg which is darn good for that sort of car! You will get a extra 10/15mpg out of the diesel but you have to find one first. I do understand where your coming from.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Everything is running fine the co reading is 1.8 and the plugs are clean the choke does appear to be cooming off fully but i have a a few occasions where i have though the choke was not needed especially with the weather we are having.
M

Post by M »

Come back to the dark side :twisted: :twisted:

Seen only 2 diesel Auto BX's both N/A as the turbo only appeared in Xantia guise - Xantia autos appear to be more common as do ZX Diesels, in fact James.UK on FCF was flogging his ZX auto for about £300 not that long ago (in Cheshire somewhere) and its a nice car.

Keep em peeled on fleebay.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

19D auto's are fairly rare over here but they do come up from time to time. However, they are SLOW! Painfully slow. Dad's was so slow he had to apply for planning permission before going to the shops in it! And as for overtaking...... :oops: ......
That's why we stuffed a 17TD with a brand new Xantia box in it! Goes like the clappers of hell now, does more to the gallon than the N/A lump and is a fantastic cruiser!
So, in short, if you get a BXD auto, throw a Xantia Autobox in with a TD and enjoy!! It's a shame Cit never built one cos I love it!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-CITROEN-BX19 ... dZViewItem

I also happen to know where there is another one less than 12 miles from you.

Good gearbox but could have a suspect headgasket.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Yes i have seen this one but i dont have the space for it without selling the one i have and i still need a car on the road plus i dont think i am fit enough to do the pinion valve as that is a pig of a job and the auto box is noisy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-CITROEN-BX19 ... dZViewItem
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

And look at the mileage yours has done less than half that!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That seems really thirsty. The 16v just managed 155miles to £20 of Optimax, which is about 103.9p a litre around here.

Its got a run up to see Luke via St Albans tomorrow and I'm taking it easy. See if I can acheive the magic £10 per 100miles figure my AX GT used to get :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote: The 16v just managed 155miles to £20 of Optimax,
Its got a run up to see Luke via St Albans tomorrow and I'm taking it easy. See if I can acheive the magic £10 per 100miles figure my AX GT used to get :lol:
Blimey, I'd be happy if I could run mine at idle for 10 mins for less than £10! I average 21-25 MPG round town. I once managed 42MPG going to Cornwall and back but aint managed it since.
I noted that The shell garage up the road was selling Optimax at 106.9 two days ago! :shock:
It really feels like Gordon Brown, Osama Bin Laden and GW Bush are standing next to me as I fill the car up Mugging the hell out of me. They may as well have armed police at filling stations and just take your wallet and house keys! ](*,)
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its the short run consumption that's the real killer with petrol engines - most in moderate sized cars can be persuaded to do something around 40 on long runs but - a couple of short runs round town and half a tank seems to dissappear. This was one of the first things I noticed with the diesels - go short distances only and a tank seems to last for ever. I used to work 5 miles from home and it was nothing unusual for me to fill the BX TD after 6 weeks!
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

My Meteor seems to do roughly 38 mpg, calculated by distance covered c. 220 miles per £25-worth of 95 unleaded @ 95p/L (the cheapest I can get round here).

Although it will go down to 32 mpg if I use a heavier foot on the motorway or get stuck in town traffic.

So yeah, average around 35 mpg...

Mark.
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

[quote]Gearboxes may be swapped at will over the engine range. But there are countless variants as to the gear ratios over the models and over the years

They are the words of Anders in reply to my question on techinical, maybe transplant a 1.7 turbo lump into your TZS, i'm sure someone on here can tell you how much the ratios vary & what the affect would be.

Your TZS is a lovely looking car so why not get economy out of it, Vannys '16v' is the perfect example of substance over style, whatever is under the bonnet it still looks the dogs