1.9 turbo diesels

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

jeremy wrote:I think that impressive looking black plenum chamber

I though the plenum chamber was a swirl pot cast into the head of the engine and where the glow plug sits and where the injector, injects?

Whats a plenum chamber then?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

:idea: Lord knows but the Rover SD1 Vitesse had a twin plenum. Bet you always wanted to know that, didn`t you :?: :D
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote:
jeremy wrote:I think that impressive looking black plenum chamber

I though the plenum chamber was a swirl pot cast into the head of the engine and where the glow plug sits and where the injector, injects?

Whats a plenum chamber then?
You're getting confused vanny. The chamber you're refering to is a swirl chamber (pre-combustion chamber). A plenum chamber is an air chamber (The big long thing on a 16v that the throttle butterflies attach to!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Plenum injection chanmber it means regarding the Rovers, I know im driving one ll as my V8-S is in bits
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote: A plenum chamber is an air chamber
Chris G
You're right! Nothing to do with fuel as such.

Building Aircon and Ventilation systems also have Plenum chambers.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

jeez did i just knock the topic way off line!

Didnt realise they where two very different things!

I know that the 1.9TD engine didnt release unil 1993, btu i had heard rumours that Citroen had made some tester cars with the 1.9TD in earlier. I had assumed they where early ZX's and perhaps prototype Xantias, am i the only one who's heard this (think it was on a dutch website)?
bxrider

Post by bxrider »

jonkw wrote:I also agree for many reasons, such as:
1) You're never gonna get any 19TD on the J plate. The very first 19TD's were ZX's and on behalf of my mother, I pre-ordered a ZX 19TD Aura in early 1993.When it was announced, it was a pre-order.K plate. It was one of the first 19TD's in the UK. MikeG of this forum still owns that very early car. I add to this that all very early 19TD's were ZX Aura or Advantage, and then the very early K plated Xantia began using this engine as well in late 1993.
2) No mention or record of a BX 19TD exists on citroen-pr.net. I just checked.
3) I own the very last BX brochure just for Estates from 1994, which lists a 16TXS, a 19TXD 1905cc n/a, and then the 1769cc Turbo D. TZD Estate.

I am at a loss as to how you have "owned several" 19TD BX.

to answer some questions ,no i haven't got the car anymore,we got rid of it when it outlived its usefulness

and obviously jonkw and 1 or 2 others have no clue what they are talking about as 2 of them were definitely a "J" plate,and the white one we had was on a "K" plate,it had a interior similar to the 16v but the body kit was different,and as to why we owned several of them..............we had a fleet of 8 of them(not all turbos) doing beer runs every day, 6-7 years ago,and i worked on every sinlge one of them as i was the one that kept them on the road,in fact i have worked on them that much i could strip one and re-build it blind folded ,so had engines in and out that many times i lost count,so i know the difference.

and as to citroen maker tester cars,thats a possibility,as all manufacturers do ,do that...............i once owned a old "p" reg granada mkI with very early version of anti-lock brakes,and when i went parts for it,was told there was only 100 of them made.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sounds like an interesting conumdrum. I don't believe anyone REALLY knows what goes/went on with Citroen at the best of times.

I guess the more evidence that bxrider (hi BTW and welcome to the club) can uncover the better for us collectively. I imagine that the BX could well have been a car - certainly in the last few years of its production - that lent itself to being used as a test-bed for many a Citroen prototype/experiments..

Something might've slipped through R & D as some none-listed special...

The plot thickens! :lol: :lol: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

bxrider wrote: and obviously jonkw and 1 or 2 others have no clue what they are talking about as 2 of them were definitely a "J" plate.
I think thats being unfair - there are several members of the forum with quite extensive knowledge of the BX ( and I dont count myself amongst them) some of whom have worked both for Citroen and suppliers, and to date no record of any official 1.9TD BX's exist.
I agree its entirely possible that you may have had a "testbed" car, but to be the only owner of several factory 1.9TD's when no one else has come across any is strange to say the least.
Its such a shame you dont have any photos of the engines or copies of the V5 so the engine numbers could be verified.
Tom will be able to confirm this but I strongly suspect Citroen like other manufacturers issue "test bed" cars with different VIN numbers to the normal production run, so it would heve been interesting to know whether these were indeed test bed cars.
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

I agree with Marty, if it was one car you had then the 'testbed' theory maybe possible, but several, no it just doesn't add up, there are people on here who's knowledge of the BX is extraordinary & has amazed me with it's comprehensiveness (you've kept quiet on this one Anders).

If they have never come a single example i suspect you have got your wires crossed.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Wecome to the club Bxrider, I would suggest that you hang around for a while and get to know folks a little before openly stating that they dont know what they are talking about in what is only your second post, there is a lot of knowlege here and your input will be welcome. but dont imagin you are the first to strip and rebuild anything (even blindfold) :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Wecome to the club Bxrider, I would suggest that you hang around for a while and get to know folks a little before openly stating that they dont know what they are talking about in what is only your second post, there is a lot of knowlege here and your input will be welcome. but dont imagin you are the first to strip and rebuild anything (even blindfold) :)
Stewart
Welcome from me too.I would follow Stewart's advice and have a good look around the site before rubbishing the people on it.One source of confusion is that the BX was badged as a 1.9 TZD.This was a N/A Diesel with the top spec interior
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

bxrider wrote:obviously jonkw and 1 or 2 others have no clue what they are talking about as 2 of them were definitely a "J" plate,and the white one we had was on a "K" plate
2 things spring to mind.

1) Given that you have been a member of this forum for one day, I'd be very careful about stating that people don't know what they are talking about.

2) PSA hadn't even built factory 1.9TD engines in 1991, so just how you imagine you owned one is fairly amazing. The XUD9T engine first appeared in the then-new Pug 306, late in "K" reg, and was shoved in the 405TD at the same time (the 405TD being the only car ever to receive both the 1769TD and 1905TD engine, and is a good indicator of changeover date)

plus, I'm afraid there's no argument in believing that just because the 1.9TD engine was available that it would have been fitted to later cars. Take the 309 1.9D for example. Just because the oval port 71bhp engine was available doesn't mean it was fitted. The 309 had to soldier on with the 65bhp square port until it was discontinued in 1993, 4-5 years after it's engine was effectively obsolete.

Given that visually there is almost no difference between the 1905cc block and the 1769cc block, I find it hard to believe that you are not simply mistaking one for the other. (which is an easy mistake to make, and countless engines have been mis-identified in this way)
this might be a signature
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

My dad had a saying for situations like this"only fools jump in where angels fear to tread"Humble pie for Sunday breakfast anybody?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................