Are you observant?

Anything about BXs
AlanS
BXpert

Are you observant?

Post by AlanS »

I asked this question over here and got some very strange answers, so I'll try over your way and see if the response is the same.

Now, there's no point in answering this based on what you think, because it doesn't answer to reason some of the time whilst on others it does, so answer only if you can remember from actually seeing this and if so only if you were observant enough to remember.
Question:

In an Automatic BX, which side of the gear stick is the indicator that tells you which gear you've selected. Is it drivers side or passengers, and what model car are you talking about?

If the answers are the same over there to over here, this is going to raise some eyebrows.

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
M

Post by M »

The two Autos I had were:

Rover 216 GSi - Indicator was on the Right of the stick (nearest to the driver)

Austin Metro 1.3 -Indicator was also to the right of the stick. Both were Uk built and supplied cars. Both were crap.

Both were a bit naff in their construction and merely a coloured bit attched to the lever which hilighted a cut out letter or number.

Sorry Alan - re read this - and discovered you were after the BX auto - to wit I have had nor sat in none. Sorry.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Drivers handbooks for 89 petrol and diesel (codes 031-GB-7-89 BX19 and 032-GB-7-89 Diesel) show the same diagram with the lettering on the left (passenger - near) side. Other diagrams are for RH car - ie steering wheel on right etc.

Doesn't look as though it was transferred on conversion to RHD - I suppose it was a relatively low volume option.

Bob Smith has a copy of the book (similar edition to mine?) on his site. 1.8mb acrobat file - so on dialup I'll have retired before I can check it!

jeremy
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The gear indicators are on the left of the stick. 'Kin stupid idea as you cannot tell what gear you are in at any given time.

But if you can't work it out then you don't really deserve to be on the road!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Post by peterbot »

On my xantia v6 auto ,the gear position is shown on the passenger side...I assume 'cos the boffins at Citroen HQ thought it wasn't worth converting to right hand drive 'cos they wouldn't sell many. And they were right!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

My mate has had two auto BXs both H reg diesels and both these panels were on the left. The next one we saw was a 19 trs with panel on the right.
My Mums car is a 19txd K reg with panel on the right, much better idea when the bulbs working.

I'm sure this will cloud any judgements you may be forming.
They think it's all over, it is now!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

ken newbold wrote:My mate has had two auto BXs both H reg diesels and both these panels were on the left. The next one we saw was a 19 trs with panel on the right.
My Mums car is a 19txd K reg with panel on the right, much better idea when the bulbs working.

I'm sure this will cloud any judgements you may be forming.

No this is in keeping with what we've found out here.
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind which are left and which are right. I've seen 16Trs's on both sides, a late model TZi on the left but an earlier model Tri on the right then a similar model Tri on the left!
I originally wondered if on assembly it was possible to fit the centre piece of the console in a-aboutface, but that theory was shot down in flames when someone here reckoned they got so browned off with it they turned it around but in the process had to remove and refit the part with the gear numbers in it and it was a hassle. Others who have owned more than one BX auto and only one had the left side indication panel. :shock:
To drive one is an absolute bloody nightmare if you take off from a park where you are in a traffic situation and can't be sure which gear you're in particularly if the sun is shining brightly at the time.
I understand a similar situation occurs on the XM but in that case, they must have woken up to the problems it was causing so fitted a second set of indicators on the lower part of the dash. :oops: :roll:
The mystery still deepens.

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Are you observant.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Left hand side, always apears to be in 3 when its in 'D'. 1991. diesel.
30-08-1991. TGD. VIN. VF7XBXCOO6OXC8445. Ilustrated in hand book as being on left.
Cheers.
Geoff.