Calling BX rescue - update

Anything about BXs
Oscar
1K Away

Calling BX rescue - update

Post by Oscar »

Sitrep: Car in pub carpark about 10 miles from Harlow in Essex. Alternator ordered from GSF Thurrock and ready to be collected on Saturday morning. Need transport for 1 person, tools and spare battery from Medway to pub via GSF branch in Thurrock.

I've called my local sources of help and drawn a blank I'm afraid - people are otherwise commited. Tom has offered help but is miles away on the other side of London or even further afield.

It's theoretically possible on public transport, but likely to be a very long process (Medway-London-Thurrock Industrial Estate- London-Chelmsford-Pub). Probably not possible in one day.

If anyone can help with transport from Medway to Thurrock and then on to pub carpark I'd be very grateful, and happy to pay for fuel and buy lunch.

UPDATE:

Rescue complete. New alternator fitted (almost) without mishap (note to self - disconnect the battery neg cable BEFORE starting work). Lovely day driving around farm shops, old churches and garden centres afterwards.

Ken the Plumber deserves a special mention for logistic support on the day.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I would like to help Oscar, but I'm helping with a house move. Sorry :( Hope you fine someone - but the offer for a lift from Chelmford Station's still there.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I know Philip, but thanks for the offer.

Oscar
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Sorry can't help - wrong end of the country.... :cry:

However, make suer you take plenty of tools, and some LHM - changing a TZD alternator is not a 5 minute job - and may well involve removing the LHM suction hose. In fact, if you are only 60 miles from home, I'd take the belt off, stick a charged battery on and drive it home - it will make it no trouble - provided it's not dark, raining and blowers and HRW on full....!
I NEED a BX TD.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Richard if you can give a more detailed account I'd be grateful. I had planned to do it in situ, probably by taking off the rhs roadwheel and trim, as well as accessing it from the top. If you have any more tips I'd be very pleased.

Oscar
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

rescue

Post by bill o »

i may be able to help..i have sent a p m
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Hi guys

I've got logistics sorted from Medway, so that's the main part. My mate is a heating engineer with a Landrover, so no shame there in using him for a rescue (the other option was a retired nurse in a VW polo :oops: ).

Thanks for all the offers of help, public and private. I'll let you know how we get on.

Oscar
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Some TD alternators are not too bad, others are dire. All depends on which pump is fitted (Bosch - bad, Lucas - good - for a change!). When mine seized I ran home from work expecting to get it out in 15 mins - took me nearly 2 hours in the end. Trouble is there just isn't enough room to pull the alternator out upwards easily. First slacken the bottom bolt (21mm I think) and remove the top bolt. Then slacken the belt off - a challenge if you've not done that before either - ISTR there is an adjusting bolt, but you have to turn it backwards or something.... On mine I then ended up removing the radiator cover panel, and the LHM suction hose to get enough room to get it out. You may also need to remove the top part of the alternator mount (can't remember.... it was about 7 years ago). I think Jon said he had done one where he managed to remove the RH headlight and wiggle it out through there. Either way, it's not simple!
I NEED a BX TD.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Thurrock...? Don't you mean Furrock?? Used to work round there and would be glad to help, but now I'm useless for in S Wales...good luck :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yay. Lucas pump.
meep
Confirmed BX'er

Post by meep »

A great tip from this wonderful place for alternator extraction worked a treat for me:

Take the RH headlamp off, and you can wiggle it out through the hole.

I also had to take the small pipe that goes from the rad to the oil filter to get a bit more access, unfortunately this split :(, but luckily I had some general rad hose left over from when I'd changed t'other oil filter pipe :D

Doing this meant it wasn't a drastic job. Good luck!

And FYI, I made it nearly the 60 miles back from my brother's at night with the dying alternator, conking out a couple of miles from home :oops: SWMBO wasn't impressed!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Many thanks to all those who offered help, advice and moral support. You know who you are!

Oscar
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

hope your rescue operation went well and you brought your car home again ...
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.