NEw acquisition - first report!

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

NEw acquisition - first report!

Post by stuart_hedges »

BCXM and I did our swap on Saturday morning, and so far I've been really, really pleased with the BX 19 RD Auto.

It's kinda lived in, with slightly battered bodywork and interior (as you'd expect after 130,000 miles), but driving it you can really tell where the money's been spent on this car - the engine is much quieter and smoother than my old TXD, and it feels just as solid and well-planted on the road.

I've already done 200 miles in it, motorway and town driving, and it feels just right on the road. I've driven good and bad BXs before now and this is one feels like they ought to!

I gave it a good wash and a vacuum yesterday, which made a big difference. The paint's in good condition, apart from the odd scratch and trolley-bump.

I'm not generally fussed about cosmetics so will improve things as time and funds allow, but for now I'll probably just enjoy driving it and use it as the capable workhorse that it is.

Here's what's wrong - BCXM (who is a brilliant bloke, by the way) is going to give me some of the parts I'll need and I'll pick up the rest as and when I have the money.

Front wing and driver's door are dented
Driver's door top hinge has rusted away
Glovebox broken
Cowling under the steering wheel broken, where someone tried to nick the car
Driver's doorlock barrel broken, as above
Rear wash/wipe doesn't work
Crack in the bonnet, right on the nose.
Seats are a little shabby, but acceptable
Steering wheel has melted (I thought only GSAs did that!) and has a cover on
Spare wheel AWOL

Like I said, BCXM is going to give me the bits to make most of this good, so it will be a slightly shabby but very, very usable car.

The driver's door and front wing will want replacing rather than repairing, I think - so if anyone comes across spares, please let me know!

The only thing I'm really worried about is that door hinge; I'm not a welder and it looks like a bit of a complex job.

With the clocks changed, I might even get home in daylight tonight in which case I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Excellent news Stuart and I can vouch for BCXM`s honesty and integrity too. What coloured panels do you need mate? Might be worth posting up a list of wanted items on the `for sale and wanted` section, someone`s sure to have what you want.
I`ll quite possibly have some panels and I think (but don`t quote me) Artic Steel might have some too.
Anyhow sounds like you`ve landed a really good honest car, congrat`s on that!
Last edited by cavmad on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vauxhall apologist.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

Thanks guys same for the cars I've had off you too..all better than described....

The major work on that car has been done and is documented. Yet another car you've had Stuart which has Chris Salter on the logbook!!!

Hopefully when I move on the 16TRS I'll be getting Chris's white 14 special edition..

I'll be round tuesday with as many bits as I can muster thanks again
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Stuart,

Well done on your new purchase! I look forward to seeing it, because when it was sat outside Chris's it looked slightly sorry for itself!

Leroy,

I can vouch for that 14 St Tropez - it goes very well... or at least it did until the clutch gave out. After a massive clean inside and out it was transformed. I *might* have kept it myself if the clutch hadn't been on the way out. Or, I maybe should have chosen that one to do when my Meteor's clutch went crappy and the octopus burst.... Ah well!

Any thoughts re my PM by the way? :)

Cheers,

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Mark, it does still *look* a bit sorry for itself but it's all good where it matters! I know I'm perverse, but actually that's the way I like cars.

I'm wearing a few grey hairs, there's no reason why my cars shouldn't show some signs of age as well - after all, it's not much younger than me!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Piccies :) The batteries in my digital camera were flat, so these are just from my phone. Hosted by Geocities, which has ridiculous download limits - if you don't see the pictures, try again after half an hour.

In all its glory!

New wing and door will be required at some point.

Not the only rust, but the only *scary* rust.

What some lowlife thieving pondscum did.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My first BX, a 1987 GTi suffered from the Pink Trim problem (and that was back in 1994!) so I took off what I could, found some space at an abandoned hospital, made an improvised spray booth and went about spraying them up on body-colour red. It worked out a treat!

So when you get around to doing the bodywork, consider that as an option.

I'm glad to see you back with a BX.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've made a few small improvements - it's amazing what a difference the little things can make!

A good clean up of the interior with some products I got free with a subscription to Practical Classics has left the interior shinier and smelling nice.

bcxm popped round with a spare wheel and a new matching wheeltrim - many thanks for those.

I went to Halfords and splurged a bit too. New wipers, those little blind-spot mirrors (which I find invaluable on a BX) and a new steering wheel cover - the wheel itself has gone GSA-style melty, and the cover that was on there was a bit knackered. Scrabbling through the Hello Kitty and 2 Fast 2 Furious ones I found a comfortable, plain grey one - exactly the same colour as the dash itself.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I took HVF on a good long run at the weekend. Friday night along the A-roads to Canterbury, some touring about while I was there, then back to Brighton via New Romney to pick up Tim's alloy wheels, and London to visit my parents. Needless to say, it didn't miss a beat.

My parents and friends are used to me running around in various old knackers and I'd described HVF to them as lived-in but in very good nick - they were pleasantly surprised! Even my mum, who's very hard to please, said that it wasn't shabby at all.

The windscreen wiper switch was flopping about - presumably as a result of the break-in - but I found the screws for it under the driver's floor mat so now that's in place. A small but significant improvement!

We passed the 130,000 mile mark on the way up to London. Here's to 130,000 more!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Very good news. You must be chuffed. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Any pics sturat as the ones you loaded up dont work mate!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I certainly am.

You know, I like BXs more and more the more I drive them. I was always into GSs and CXs and saw the BX as a slightly boring, mundane modern.

I'm really changing my mind on that though; HVF is sufficiently quirky and unusual enough to keep me entertained and it's definitely a proper Citroen.

It's also a very capable vehicle with none of the drawbacks - I hauled a load of stuff about this weekend over fairly long distances with good economy and - very importantly - exemplary comfort. I couldn't even have transported Tim's alloys in a GS or CX, never mind all the other bits that I picked up from my parents' place as well.

I originally bought my old TXD for all those reasons, but I'm starting to love the BX for its classic qualities too! After all, how often do you see them on the road?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I agree Stuart, as you know I bought another BX yesterday and drove it home without even checking the levels, it was quiet, surprisngly nippy and so comfy to drive I could have fell asleep! And as ever was 100% reliable. Ive owned so many now and know them so well to me its like putting on old a pair of comfy shoes, I feel instantly at home and know it will get me where Im going without any worries.

Long live the BX :D
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

My photos are hosted by geocities, which is arse. Wait half an hour and try again!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Nope cant see them.