Stuart+Electricity=Oops

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Stuart+Electricity=Oops

Post by stuart_hedges »

Got round to fitting my stereo last night. I've done this loads of times - easy job.

Found all the relevant wires, hooked everything up, discovered that the existing speakers were crap so fitted my own JBL's, tested everything again and went to finally fit the stereo into the dash.

There was a bit of extra spaghetti in there; I guess I should have tested it to see what it was but I just assumed they'd be dead - wiring from an amp that had been removed or something.

Slid the stereo into the dash.

Zzzt. Burning smell.

Dead stereo.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

You accidentally let the smoke out :oops: all electrical devices are powered by smoke, once you let it out :? been there done that.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Oh dear Stu.... I trust you unhooked the battery first? I used to find it was rather easy to blow a fuse while fiddling around with the radio in the GSA. I think I did the same with my old Meteor. Commiserations! :(

Mark + Electricity=Oops also

I got the shock of my life recently when trying to jump start a Renault Clio with jump leads using my BX. What I didn't realise was that unlike the BX, the Clio's *positive* terminal on the battery was the one nearest to the bulkhead........

Who got loads of sparks and a shower of melted lead? :shock: :oops:

Ahem.

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mnde wrote: Who got loads of sparks and a shower of melted lead? :shock: :oops:

Ahem.
A mistake you only make once isn't it. :lol:

A friend made a similar mistake a while back. We were jump-starting a 6-litre perkins diesel (in a 5-tonne dumper truck) with a Land-Rover (thus lots of amps flying around, and some very thick jumper cables.)

Once the dumper truck was started, he made the mistake of removing both clamps from the dumper-truck battery without disconnecting either from the landrover. He then places both clamps in one hand so that he has a hand free to close the battery cover.

BIG sparky-flashes. Ever seen someone juggle with jumper-cable clamps, with a small lightening storm going on?

Laugh? I nearly stalled the dumper truck.
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

mnde wrote:I trust you unhooked the battery first?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:You accidentally let the smoke out :oops: all electrical devices are powered by smoke, once you let it out :? been there done that.
Stewart
:lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

It can happen to the best of us. I torched the front wiring loom on a mate's Yugo (And before the idiot fringe starts, that was a Fiat 128, indisputably the best small car of its time) with a spanner between alternator and earth :oops: I had a new loom in the following morning but the smell hung around for a bit!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Another story of woe - I fried the alternator, rev counter, fuel gauge and melted the insulation on the main charging lead whilst jump starting my wife's 205, which then caused us to be late for a funeral...

The reason was that the battery terminals on the donor vehicle had a red cap on the negative terminal, and a black one on the positive :shock:
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I had a battery incident the other day, with my dads car. He has one of those batteries encased in plastic that charges up and can be used to start cars with dead batteries. So, positive lead on the battery, negative on the chassis. The machine beeped at me as soon as I connected it, and then I turned i to the on position, more beeping, and oh sh*t, loads of smoke from the lead on the chassis, remove immediately, and oh, it looks like someones tried to savatage the chassis with a welder :oops:

Luckily it didnt do anything to the electrics as what id done is connect the positive to the negative, and the negative to the chassis, which is also the negative, so it could have been a lot worse.