Silver and Gold down 'ampshire way, me hearties

Anything about BXs
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Silver and Gold down 'ampshire way, me hearties

Post by DLM »

Firstly, I've got a "Silver Machine" - though really it's metallic mid-grey, the "electric lines to Zodiac signs" have been removed (thank God), it doesn't yet "Fly sideways through time" , it has very little chance of being "antiseptically clean" . However, have just taken several rides and am still feeling, well.... (you gotta know what I) mean.

Tom, however, has got himself another beautiful CX - remarkably free of coachwork cancer, which is a considerable coup. On the musical theme, any references to Spandau Ballet will be punished by keelhauling, me hearties.

Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Dave, do you know what the Citroen colour is officially called for the estate of your`s? I have a TZD estate in exactly the same colour and need to get a couple of touch up aerosols for it.
Thanks,
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That looks like a Platinum estate.....thats gotta be a rare combination!

CX looks good too. Must pop over now the 16v is roadworthy.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Cavad: I've not yet checked the paint code, which will be on the r/h inner wing as you look at the car with the bonnet open. I'll then check it aginst the excellent colours section on the BX DIY site. Apparently Halfords (for once) do a good job of mixing the right paint up - so long as you can specify the original Citroen colour.

Kitch - are you suggesting that Platinum (if that be the one) is a colour found more commonly on a 16v or suchlike? Jane is hoping that Tom's new CX doesn't take up a permanent residency on the drive - autobox needs fixing/adjusting - but Tom has plans (as usual). It's been very enjoyable just looking at it so far....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well its hard to be certain, but it certainly looks like Platinum which is "Gris Dolmen", or colour code ETB. If so, its a rare colour on a hatch and I've never seen an estate coated in it before.

BX Bandit has a 16v in that shade, and Capri's TZD hatch is that colour, but thats all I know unless Billy has one now aswell?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Dave, I`ll have a looky round and see if I can find the paint code. Halfords so indeed do a good job of colour matching and if they get it wrong they`ll do you another one, or least they used to.

Kitch, I`ve owned this BX for a couple of months (or more) now. It`s sort of been on the back burner as it had loads of faults and as usual other cars took precedence over it. Anyhow it`s up and running now complete with the 1.9TD motor, just some fine fettling to box off. I`ll do a `my car` type feature on it if anyone`s interested, heck I might even clear the shite out of the boot and clean the damn thing!
Vauxhall apologist.
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

My new Camembert Mechanique is indeed finished in ETB - dolmen grey (the dolmen bit goes nicely with the "Silver Machine" moniker), and it is a very fine colour indeed.

Strangely enough, Kitch, if you go to the rather good colour section here http://www.passion-citroen.com/nos_citr ... &coul=gris and look at the example for "Gris Dolmen" it's a BX hatch that seems to be a TGD or TGD-based special edition by the look of the wheel-trims. Plenty to browse through there, including the gloriously-named "Beige Sloughi" I came across in a paint-code book the other day.

Cavmad - for that code, open the bonnet and check the inner wing to the engine side of the blue glow plug relay area (or ABS unit if it's so equipped). Unless there's been welding/repainting in the area, the code is written there in large black letters.

Incidentally - does anyone know if the glow plug relay gets displaced to another location on an ABS-equipped car? Though I have no problems with it I can't see any sign in the normal place as that's where the ABS unit is sitting. I just like to know where things are.

Much debugging remains (including a lot of declunking in the front suspension area) but I'm very happy with my new purchase. Anyone know the best price/supplier for balljoints and droplinks at present?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi DLM,

There is someone on eBay selling BX droplinks for £12-95 each, plus postage at £4-95. I think GSF do balljoints pretty cheap....around £9 a piece.

btw...nice car! :D

Dave
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks again Dave. Still not had time to nip down to Halfords for the spray but now I know where to find the code I`m armed and ready!
I have the spare bumper here which I`ll prepare/prime in readiness for the paint as I have TZD bumper with fogs and now have the switch gear too.
Vauxhall apologist.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

Hi DLM,

if the autobox is knackered on that there CX (I thought the autoboxes were bullet proof??) I have one from a 64,000 mile CX 25GTi which used to be my car until it was written off..Let me know when you want to pick up those seats
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

BXCM - I've PM'd you. Tom's of the opinion the autobox will respond to the correct adjustment procedure, and has done it before on Saabs with success.

Thanks for the info, mountainmanUK. I've seen some ebay ads but will tread carefully as I've heard that some of the droplinks available aren't really up to the job. I've also seen balljoints on Ebay, but really wanted to find out if anybody's bought any lately, whether they've been any good, and how much. I'll need to do at least one balljoint as a badly-positioned strut return pipe has was giving the balljoint on that side a permanent LHM bath. Will probably do both sides though.

I remember the droplink rattle from repeatedly driving a BX down a half-mile of speedbumps close to where I used to live a few years back, and the clunks seem a bit more pronounced than the noise I remember.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I've suggested to Tom that he checks the level of the ATF in that CX of his before he starts ripping the box out.
If the level gets low, it will do exactly what his does and as it was supposedly just done up prior to his purchase which might lull him into a false sense of security that the level has to be correct, but there may be a story on how the level got down. (ie) repaced a CV boot and didn't top up correctly afterwards is a common one as is checking the fluid with the engine stopped.
IIRC, that box is also back from the era where they had bands which were adjustable but I think he's already aware of that. Looks a nice car....both that is. :wink:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AlanS wrote:IIRC, that box is also back from the era where they had bands which were adjustable but I think he's already aware of that.
I'm glad you reminded me of that! I must send a PM! Bloody alzhiemers.....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Tom's done the bands before, has a shiny new tool-toy to do the adjustment, and when I went over to drool in the general direction of the CX there were some new bottles of ATF in its general vicinity. However, the gearbox bolts weren't playing by the Queensbury rules that day (it is a CX after all) so the adjustment is in abeyance until next weekend.

It's a dangerous business, just standing next to a decent CX - gives you unnatural urges... However, the chances of finding a sound one in the UK nowadays are miniscule, though Tom's seems so far to be the exception to the rule.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Firstly thanks to the Doc for the setting up instructions. Work stopped on good Friday as I was off to France for a week and I am now back in London as prisoner of work. I'll be back to the CX this weekend and see if the 'box can be adjusted. BCXM, hang onto that 'box, I might be needing it! The structural audit found no horror stories, a couple of small patches being required, one about the size of a penny in the middle of one sill when provoked and another being a small crack around a jacking point.
The big blue relay needs rewiring and the ignition switch wants a looking at before it will start reliably and there are lots of minor issues but I'll get on with those as and when .
I suppose that it is a matter of "Watch this space" and I'll post more when I know more....