the 4x4 BX

Anything about BXs
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

the 4x4 BX

Post by Andy G »

Is there any demand at all for the 4x4 BX? Do they rate cost wise lower than a 16v?
Plus any body have info on the 4x4 at all?

Thanks

AG
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Very rare and very expensive to fix andy, hence why many of them got binned years ago due to the 4x4 system being rather fragile and makeing the sprighly 19Gti err not sprightly. Never understood why thet didnt make a TD 4x4.

Cool car to own but can be hellishly expensive (ask Ian Fearn)

16v are easier to fix, more redily available and alot faster.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Now you've done it....................
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

why Stuart, you fancy one?

Cheers Tim for the information.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Re: the 4x4 BX

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Andy G wrote:Is there any demand at all for the 4x4 BX? Do they rate cost wise lower than a 16v?
Plus any body have info on the 4x4 at all?

Thanks

AG
I've got a bit of info/road tests knocking about.What do you want to know?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Ross_K

Post by Ross_K »

Bloody money pits. Hardly earth-shattering performance either

My one was dispatched to the crusher a few months back with a terminal case of rust plus about two dozen other problems. Originally from somewhere around Fife, it was exported to Ireland in '96 or '97 - H276 XSP was its former reg if anybody has a list and was wondering where it went. :lol:

The 4x4 saloon thing probably seemed like a great idea at the time - everybody was doing it. Opel Vectra/Vauxhall Cavalier, Ford Sierra, Renault 21, Peugeot 405.... Unlike Peugeot, Citroen made the transfer box from chocolate. The former owner of my one told me he had spent 1500 quid having something done to the transfer box to toughen it up - something to do with bits from a 405...
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

well I'm not sure, I was chatting to a guy who saw my GTi, and he happen to drop in the conversation that he had two tucked away, & both needed mild resto etc (is there any such thing!) he was going to sell but didn't know what the market (if any) there was. I like the idea, but if the thing is going to break everytime its used then I think I'll pass them over....
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

They have been discussed on here before.If you use the search function,you should find out what you want to know.If not give me a shout
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Both me and Mr Barnsley wont hear a bad word said about the 4x4 will we Dean!

My old one is still going strong i believe. That was a lovely car though, mind you 3 transfer boxes in 80k doesnt exactly instill confidence.....
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Got to agree Ian,but 1 transfer box in 160000 miles is a bit better.Exhausts are expensive(buy a stainless?) Transfer boxes seem to be a bit pot luck and it likes to eat tyres.Handling and roadholding are tremendous though.They can be a money pit if you're unlucky,so think carefully before buying.
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've got a full exhaust sat in my garage still if anybody wants a copy for a stainless one. I only kept it as a pattern incase Jayboy from the Isle of Man wanted it.

I think mine gave up the ghost due to hauling a big caravan by the previous owner. They also like clutches, oh and thats an engine out job by the way. Citroen used to book at 12-16 hours to change one! I had 3 or 4 reciepts for 2-3 grand in the history file!
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

John Hannam is the man for the clutch.He was very reasonable when he did mine a few years ago(£375 when a local independant quoted me £800+Greedy Gordon's cut)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The going exchange rate for a BX 4x4 about 4 years ago was a couple of sheep - according to a Gower farmer I met at the Swansea GS&F - that's what he gave a neighbour for one in a barter deal.

He also described using a forklift to raise a BX to change the front to rear hydraulic pipes. Hope he drained the LHM reservoir first!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

the 4x4BX

Post by Brian King »

I bought Ian Fearn's 4x4 BX. It is in very good condition bodily. Colour- black. Wheels proper silver alloys also vgc. The engine is fine, but it is not as interesting a lump as either the 16v or 1769 TZD, both of which I am also running. The only 4x4 type trouble I have had with it is the prop shaft came loose, but that was fixed with 4 of the proper nuts and bolts. Anyone is very welcome to come and have a look at it. I might even sell it if tempted.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

barnsley wrote:John Hannam is the man for the clutch
Any truth to reports that he's retired?

Speak to any owner of Sally for reports on the quality of his GS restorations :(