Friday The 13th

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Friday The 13th

Post by toddao »

Last Friday set off with the old estate, dog, wife and car trailer to collect a 1985 19TRD that I've just bought as a parts vehicle. Didn't get very far.
There's a huge hill on the autobahn going north that climbs and climbs . Half way up, on comes the flashing red water temp light ( never seen it before!). Pulled over. Fan wasn't running.
Diverted back home, deduced that the cable to the fan had oxidised and broken so with much fiddling gained access, cut it, re-routed it, fitted new in-line fuse ( having bypassed the loom). Still no fan and it's blazing outside.
Call Citroen mate. Comes early from work and throws some cardboard under the car. Grabs a tin of WD40 and a paper-clip, lies on the cardboard and goes to work on the switch connection mounted behind the rad. After much fiddling and a lecture on the uses of paper-clips the fan comes to life.Tells me I shouldn't go anywhere on Fri.13th.
Set off again up the dreaded hill. Flashing light again though fan is running. Pull over, go back
. Look for air in the system. Then realise : the bloody trailer is just too heavy.
Every trailer here has it's own registration papers and TÜV ( MOT) - the papers say the weight is 500kg! ( I think newer car trailers weigh in at 2-300kg) Plus the weight of a the TRD (960kg) - what was I thinking?
The estate is only capable of pulling 1100 kg. Irony is - I drive all that way to get a parts car and finish mine on the way! Remember that this 1.9 diesel is the same one that was fitted to 205s! Take the trailer back and drive home.
Sit in the garden with a cold one, sustain an ear-bashing from Mission Control. I won't be towing again : that's an old car to be cherished not caned. Least the fan works now!
Trying to work out how to get the TRD home now.. :shock:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Bad news that red light, I towed an old (read heavy) caravan with my old MK1 Rd, it got me there without the fans ever coming on, but boy was it slow.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft