Nice trailer

Anything about BXs
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

With a bit of ingenuity you may be able to fit a spring over the strut - similar to a McPherson strut arrangement. Some Jaguars use a spring fitted to a shock absorber on the rear (in fact 2 each side on an XJ6.)

The problem is that the linkage places the strut or its replacement at a mechanical disadvantage - ie 5 cm movement at the wheel is probably about 1cm at the strut. This means that if you are aiming for a spring rate of say 150 lb inch - if it acts along the line of the strut it would need a rate of 750 lb in.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

if your going to do it, it might as well be HP, other wise its just a trailer and not a piece of french ingenuity (or stupidity depending on which sid of the fenc you sit!).

doesn't the c6 have an electric hp pump? :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, yeah, that was the whole idea of making a hydraulic trailor really, otherwise it's just a trailor...

C6's do have electric pumps, although with the second hand price of a C6 it'd be cheaper to buy the whole car than a new pump! :lol:

Either way, I'm gona have a stab at this and see how well it tows!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

docchevron1472 wrote:C6's do have electric pumps
So do Pug 405 MI164x4's. It's also an LHM pump rather than the modern C5/C6 that uses a different fluid (a synthetic type I think, not unlike red LHS from an early DS.)
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You're quite right David! I'd forgotten about them!

Yeah, the new "last forever" synthetic crap Cit are using is died red to clarify which fluid it is.

The old stuff DS's used was mineral IIRC, so the colour is about the only thing in common!

The 405 pump could be the way to go actually, I'm certainly not using any crappy modern rubbish PSA are turning out these days!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...