What price one of these?

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

What price one of these?

Post by ken newbold »

I'd been promising myself one of these for ages. But always forgetting to get one before I start work on the pipes.

So just before we moved, the Snap-on man came down our street, so I went out and treat myself. :D

I was a bit surprised when I found out how much it was, but I do like Snap-on tools, I have some 6 sided Snap-on sockets which never fail, an absolute joy to use and well worth the money IMHO.

So how much was it then? A special prize of a rounded off pipe union to the nearest guess.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

£12-76 ?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

[-(
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Its a snap on so I would say about £40.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

:o :shock: I defo wouldn't buy one from you then :lol:
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

hhhmmmmm my gues about £18-£20
i know a chap who use to be a snap on guy top top quality tools but very pricey for the average diyer.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

=D> close enough, I think it was £20.47p.

Give that man a rounded off pipe union. :lol:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have some flare nut spanners, but i need one of those :wink:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: What price one of these?

Post by Vanny »

ken newbold wrote: I have some 6 sided Snap-on sockets which never fail, an absolute joy to use and well worth the money IMHO.
You need to try harder Ken, i've killed loads of snap on tools, often without much effort, and the nice man comes and replaces them there and then so long as we hid the 8' extension bar and sledge hammer we where abusing the socket/ratchet with :D

What size is it 8mm?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

TBH, the only benefit I can see in Snap-off tools is the lifetime guarantee. Other than that, they seem overpriced and not any better than many other manufacturers.

For example: I have some Draper sockets that I bought about 15 years ago, second hand, and despite some serious abuse over the years, are still in fine condition. I always work on the basis that for the cost of a Snap-on tool, you can buy about 5 of the same from another manufacturer (and not the super-cheap stuff) and always have one handy.

I'm far more likely to loose a tool than to break it!

I know some people swear by Snap-on... I just tend to swear at them when I see the price.
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I tend to agree with you there David, I dont mind buying cheaper tools for things that are infrequently used, then if something breaks in use It might get replaced with something better, I have some excellent stuff from halfords which also has a lifetime guarantee, I have broken the breaker bar on more than a few occasions and just taken it down th the store for replacement, I worry a little less about things then, last week I misplaced a couple of my spanners on site, I later found one of my nice ratchet ring spanners had been used for opening a paint can????? to put it in perspective a lad at one of the garages I visit was proudly showing me a set of three ratchets from snap on, the price was well in excess of £120 and thats just silly.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Man at Halfords tells me their tools are made by the same people who make Snap On's and this was confirmed by some of the lads in the Vauxhall club. I believe they also make stuff for Draper too.
I've got a Halford's trade card which I used the other day to get a new ratchet and some sockets plus extension bar. They are cheap enough as it is compared to Snap On, have a lifetime guarantee and certainly seem to be bloody great quality too.
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Halford's tools made by the same people who make Snap on?

Bollocks!

There's one born every minute.

Tap a Snap on spanner and it rings. The plating won't flake and the tool will take a lifetime to wear out.
The guality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
You cannot disguise quality but for those with shallower pockets, Facom make a decent second best.

There is another point as well. They are so expensive that you don't lose them. You clean them and put them away afterwards which means that they aren't rattling away in the engine bay like the cheap one you lost.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ah, the font of all knowledge strikes again. It should be noted to the 'quick to type, slow to think' type of message poster that one person who told me this works for Snap-On.
To me a lifetime guarantee is a lifetime guarantee and Halford's stuff is top quality.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Tom, I clean and put away my tools after working on them regardless of brand, I have some facom as well as snap on and other brands, IMHO snap on arent worth the price premium compared to other stuff out there. but each to his own.
stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few