What price one of these?

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always find in Halfrauds that the gimp behind the counter is usually the biggest "tool" in the place!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree doc and i also agree with billy Halfords tools are made in the same factory as snap on Draper ETC the only difference is the brand and i dont care what tom says I have it from the top brass at halfords after all my brotherinlaw is one of them and has been for quite a few years as he says it is only the brand and that not all tools have the high chrome coating. I have also worked in the motor trade and was trained by Rovers but i dont use Snap off as they break too easy infact if I am chucking cash at tools I would rather buy Mac so there.
:evil:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

lots of different people wrote:lots of stuff about who makes what brand of tools
Whilst it's quite obvious that Snap-on tools and Halfrauds professional tools are not the same, there's undoubtedly some truth in the fact that snap-on (or their parent company) probably own (or at least have some controlling interest) in the manufacture of other brands of tools. This sort of "corporate" link between the two companies can so easily be misrepresented as "made by the same people"

Even if they actually were made by the same company, that still doesn't mean the "cheaper" range is any better for it. Large companies often sell under various different brands, with one being a premium, and others being further down the scale.

Anyway. Given that I broke a snap-on spanner today (thus it was named the snap-OFF spanner), and I have a rather nice bruise because of it, I don't currently plan to buy any of their stuff!
DC wrote:So, you have new job! Congrats! Anything good??
Thanks, and yes....ish.

I now work for a local motor engineering firm, who (unlike many motor "engineers", who are infact fitters or mechanics) are actually engineers. Their main business is to build engines for classic Jaguar racing cars. Anyone fancy a 4.2 litre straight-6 Jag engine... with 420hp at the wheels? The Jag XK120 it's fitted in goes like the proverbial! They also do a load of other bits and pieces, but it's mainly Jaguars.

The boss is an "Old-school" engineer, and won't accept any technique for doing anything that's newer than about 1976, the hours are long, and the pay is fairly rubbish. But it is interesting, and a bit fun, and I have use of the workshop facilities if (more like when) I need them. Until I find something else, it's a fabulous stop-gap.
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Awesome stuff mate, whilst the hours may be long, and the pay, well, rubbish, if it's interesting work it makes it less of a hassle I guess. My pay is crap, but I love the job...

and it's getting hard to find REALLY good engineers these days so it's good to know that there are a few old school "Engineer's Blue" types about!
A little beneath your qaulifications though I'd guess mate?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...