Polishing a T*RD

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Polishing a T*RD

Post by toddao »

The parts car arrived. You might recognise it from the post - 'Early Diesel' in BX Spotting section. First thing, it's not 1983 but 1985. Second thing - it's too good to break.
Had one owner from new til 2005 when he died aged 90 and passed over to a family friend. Full documentation and service history up 67,000 km then the new owner took it up to 68,000km. He's also responsible for the bonnet damage and the belief the head gasket has had it ( he's a mechanic) though I haven't investigated yet.
Gave it a wash and found the rather fetching rear slatted spoiler lurking in the boot. It's got issues - two electric windows don't work, water squirts out of overflow on radiator, steering shudders on right lock, alternator probably need new brushes, but apart from that I think it's a beauty. Can anyone spot the rare 'accessoire citroen' features? Problem is, I've now got two Mk.1's to feed when I thought 2 = 1 good one! ^^ ^^ Came with a few brochures : hand-book, Accessoires Citroen catalogue inc. all optional radios ( I will copy these). Funny old time capsule! :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/4850 ... a9a6_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/4850 ... bf4c_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4850 ... 01ec_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/4850 ... d89f_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/4850 ... b929_b.jpg
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My god someone went a bit mad on that didnt they, but I mst say its very sexy, thats FAR too good to break though! Well done on saving it!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

What a beauty! Go faster stripes! Slats! Trailblazer!

It doesn't even look or sound too bad - it's certainly not a spares car.

Good luck!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Wow! Thats a beauty! Those slats are the coolest thing I've ever seen on a BX! Straight out of Back to the Future!

Thats a really tidy looking car, even if the head gasket needs doing, the under bonnet is clean as a whistle!

Congrats dude, thats WAHAY to good to break..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the encouraging words, will be requiring technical advice as I set off on it's re-habilitation but yellow one needs attention first.
The slatted thing is made by a Danish company called 'Thermoform' and is held in place by plastic lugs glued to the rear screen. Think it would fly off at speed as the clips are dodgy. It's not the original Citroen item as you can see from the brochure ( there must be some of these out there somewhere!). Apart from flaps, slats etc the strangest things are the plastic door handle inserts. The first owner was seventy when he bought this car, maybe on retirement and perhaps wanted - or was persuaded by a canny salesman, to buy - all the trimmings. Here's a bad photo of the accessories brochure - note the in-car entertainment options for the rear passengers and the five piece luggage set! :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/4878 ... 9fa7_b.jpg
Todd

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The door handle protetors arent that rare over here as Ive seen them on a few cars.

Dig that accesorie brochure! Why dont they offer things like that anymore!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Thats a seriously straight BX you have found there, well done.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

That's one seriously smart-looking car!
admittedly possibly a little OTT on the styling 'extras', but from your description it is well worth saving as a project on its own, rather than use as a 'donor car'.

Time to look out for another 'parts car', methinks? :wink:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I think the added extras only make it more desirable, it was quite normal in the 80s to have those kind of things but they have all but dissappreared. I know If i had bought that car a few years ago the first thing then I woold have done was to take them off, but no with somewhat of a 80s revival i think there cool 8)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Get another one? I think if I found a Mk.1 estate locally for €0.00 I might be tempted but it's not likely. Getting the TRD home turned into a bit of a head-ache. I keep the BX's in an old barn along with my van and a load of building materials and it's pretty full - just enough space to swing a spanner. My wife would really consider me a lost cause.
Extras? This is first car I've ever had with central locking and electric windows. The slatted spoiler is good also for nefarious activities in the back, sort of thing I needed when I was seventeen, with no-where to go.
Another odd thing is that it's got a steel bonnet while the estate's got plastic, also the steel one sits lower.Also twin fans and different rad. Thought all the parts would be interchangeable. The Hall & Oates cassette (H2o) fits in both cars though 8)
Todd

Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

My Mk1 RD had a steel bonnet too, there are two styles on Mk 2s, long nose and short nose types but I think all Mk1s are long nose.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

MK1s had short and long nose bonnets, the 16TRS auto I had had a short nose one as does the New Zealand car featured elsewhere.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Looks really tidy, I like it. Only thing I can't go on is the stripes, tailblazer or that stupid thing on the rear window that doesn't even look like it fits a BX :P

Otherwise....possibly one of the nicest looking mk1's I've clapped eyes on!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

And its got those wheeltrims, so your lucky enough to have a set. They don't exist over here.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Over here? That being Malta I suppose. I've never been there but it looks great from pictures. Didn't really think of there being BXs there too! They're everywhere! :P
Todd