Towing a BX with BX

Anything about BXs
kiwi
Over 2k

Towing a BX with BX

Post by kiwi »

I know you guys have done it but I am a virgin so to speak.... :lol:

Bit of advice on wheather or not it would be wise to hook up a car trailer to my 19TZS which possibly has a leaking head gasket and tow and BX16RS 230kms (140 miles) up one big hill that rises 300m.
On long hauls the water usage is minimal but under load?

Car I am picking runs but is not legal, told my wife that if I tow I go alone as extra 100kg of her and Daughter might be to much :shock:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Can't you get hold of a 4WD to do the job? Otherwise make sure the trailer is as light as possible. I don't know what the maximum towing weight is for your BX but that should be written somewhere on the papers and that will give you an idea i.e new BX weighs probably just over 1000kg and trailers come in at between 200-500 Kg. The max towing weight for my 1.9D is 1100kg though I reckon yours has more guts. With the associated mechanical issues of your car I would find something stronger to do it or, as I nearly found out, you end up destroying your car in the process of towing a parts vehicle. I ended up having mine brought on a truck though admittedly yours is not so far but it's a lot less hassle. Isn't that cowboy speak ?:' If I tow, I tow alone' Good Luck :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Leagalities aside, if the head gasket is suspect on your "would-be" tow car, I'd think very carefully about towing anything that will have a combined mass of more than the tow car, especially anywhere near a long gradient...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
M

Post by M »

You need a Xantia for that mate :wink:

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If the tow car was 100% mechanically I would be confident that it would tow another BX - I have towed a TZD Turbo on a hefty trailer with my TZD Turbo with no problems pulling wise. I would advise you check out whether this is legal though - I was only doing a short trip so I didn't pay much attention to that :oops:
If you can't get the use of another car I would try and do the trip at night when the air temperature will be lower (and have a water container with you!)

Best of luck.
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Wed May 09, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

That's a bloody good idea, carrying a spare BX for when the Xantia breaks down :lol:
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

tom wrote:That's a bloody good idea, carrying a spare BX for when the Xantia breaks down :lol:
:lol: :lol: I can laugh cos I have both!!.....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol:

Xantia's, the work of the devil! :wink: :roll: :lol:

A BX will tow more than you might imagine, I've pulled a 8tonne bus with the TD, before it had the TD engine!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

I once towed a Granada back from Tewkesbury with a Mini once .... that was 2 clutches I ended up fitting that weekend! :roll:
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

In the end we did not Tow :)

Although it was not all smooth sailing and one that brought memories why I do not like follow the leader over long trips with my wife driving another car :oops:

When I went to get the trailer my mate turned around to me and said dont tow it with that, pointing at the BX. He reminded me of two really nasty hills on the route one I had forgotten and then told me how many trucks and Caravans he had rescued from that hill/mountain.

Ok cool I can now go the shorter route which for some reason the locals hate simply because its twist and turns and past reputation of being most metal (Kiwi for Gravel :roll: )

Set off at 9 am from home descended to he nearby town the start of the route which is in a valley where two rives meet. On goes the headlights and consideration to flip a foglight on :lol:

2 hours 30 minutes later and a 153 kilometres of interesting road with a classic 15 yes 15 kph marked bend and what is now only 12 kms of remaining unsealed road. We were in Citreon Country, or so we thought? Saw 4 modern Citreons of models not familier :oops: but no BXs.
Another 20km later we found our goal, the Red BX16RS we were going to use for parts. The owner gaves us $20 discount because it was low on oil so we paid $180 for the car. The owner was of a mind that the car might not make the trip back. Well to be honest I was not sure but of a positive mind hand my fingers crossed it could tackle the rather step hills on the way back.
Basically thye Car did not have the Legal Paperwork to be driven on the road. But it started and ran and once we got back to the Forgotten Highway to odds of seeing a Police Car was as remote as seeing more than the 20 cars we had passed on it heading the opposite direction.
60km from Stratford I was as predicted a few kms up the road from the wife who was following in the 19TZS sitting on a saddle looking for her to come up the hill to get a motion photo 8)
5 minutes passed and I was worried evntually after backtracking 5km the sight of a car with bonnet up sent shivers down my spine.
The dreaded water light had come on, she topped it up but further on the same thing happened that point I gave her Red (the 16RS) to drive and nursed the 19TZS on. We stopped at the only cafe halfway to cool the car down to check the water again, bit no it happened again.

I figured that it was because I was following my wife at a slower speed than I would like and the same was true with her driving. The car was be put under load to much. With Daylight fading at 4pm I told her to go on gave her a 10 minute head start that 40 minutes later once we hit the more open road again I was breathing down her tailpipe :lol:

Took 5 hours to get home :oops: Could have been worse if I had the trailer I guess?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BX Bandit wrote:
tom wrote:That's a bloody good idea, carrying a spare BX for when the Xantia breaks down :lol:
I can laugh louder 'cos I only have BX's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Psst! It's a Citroen.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

stuart_hedges wrote:Psst! It's a Citroen.
:oops: not once but twice made that spelling error :oops:

Ok I will blame it on the spell checker being set to Kiwi English :lol: remember Kiwis hate the French because of the Rainbow Warrior sinking and those nuke test in the mid 90s they blame on setting off our Volcanoes :?

Makes me a bit of a lemon dont it :lol:
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Philip chidlow wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:
I can laugh louder 'cos I only have BX's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You smug git!! :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have towed a Shogun with my old TD, no problems, but not that far 8)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft