My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

BX Headlight Setup

Post by m_2975 »

Hi Gents,

I'm looking at buying this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-2007-BOSCH-6 ... dZViewItem

Interested to know what you think about this in my GTI.

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You'll get a much better than standard performance from the existing lights simply by wiring them so that they have a straight (fused) feed from the battery and are switched by realay.

The standard wiring is not very good in that its thin and goes round the car to the switch - so must be about 12 ft of it before power gets to the headlights.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I've posted a request for this headlamp wiring mod to be written up somewhere in laymans terms as I think it would be beneficial: http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71769#71769

Mark.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I agree with Jeremy.
Relayed headlamps are actually very good in the BX. No need whatsoever for HiD kits.
If you want truely awful headlamps, have a go in a spec RHD XM, even on main beam they are awful.

BX headlamps with 12volts to them are as good as any other car.
Spec BX headlamps, rubbish.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Doc wrote:Relayed headlamps are actually very good in the BX. No need whatsoever for HiD kits.
If you want truely awful headlamps, have a go in a spec RHD XM, even on main beam they are awful.
I've no complaints about the standard BX dipped headlamps either.

Over on the XM club forum there's a lot of discussion of the crap XM headlamps. A lot of the guys there have fitted HID kits (around £75-100) and posted good, clear instructions on fitting them. Obviously things are in different places on a BX, but the wiring instructions hold for any car.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:I agree with Jeremy.
Relayed headlamps are actually very good in the BX. No need whatsoever for HiD kits.

BX headlamps with 12volts to them are as good as any other car.
Spec BX headlamps, rubbish.
Xantia headlamps are so bad they are dangerous, even when new my dad use to hav ethe front fog lamps on as otherwise you couldnt see a thing!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Trust me Tim, the Xanty headlamps are like driving in daylight compared to the XM.
Cit never bothered to make RHD headlamps and fitted stupid crappy lenses infront of the bulbs to bend the light.
Awful awful things.
Removing the lense helps, HiD kits in XM's actually work really well.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

My BX headlights are much better than I used to get in either a mk1 XM or mk1 Xantia, both of which were equally cr@p; I'd go as far as to say positively dangerous in some conditions. Tried brighter bulbs but they just scattered more light where I didn't want it through the crap lenses.

I put Philips Visionplus bulbs in the Alfa last year and they're superb - admittedly not a true comparison with a BX but might be worth a try?
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Talking of Headlights my wifes car ( the Old Pontiac) has the crapest headlights going.

Flick from dipped to main beam its like a moment of darkness before the headlamps power up :shock:
To be honest driving at night is something I fear in that car especially as there are no street lights and the roads have nasty bends.
Although she travels the route day in day out she likes the BX for some reason at night :lol:

I am thinking of getting a couple of Spotlights for her but if this bypass idea works maybe give that a try.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91